Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brazil Protests

Millions protest on the streets clashing with armed police. Started with a protest against rising bus prices it has now gone nationally protesting about Health care, education and corruption. Also the amount being spent on the world cup and the Olympics instead of spending money on those and other issues.

The Confederations Cup could be abandoned if protests continue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22992410

Comments

• Good. I have been following this with interest. Whilst it's the middle classes protesting there are still millions living in favelas and as mentioned, large scale corruption in the government. Hosting sport shouldn't be a priority when you have such a large class gap, which I suspect these events will only serve to widen further.

I've also been keeping a close eye on the goings on in Turkey, though that's been occurring for obviously different reasons. That's even seen hardcore Fenerbahce, Besiktas and Galatasary fans joining forces.
  • RedPanda said:

Good. I have been following this with interest. Whilst it's the middle classes protesting there are still millions living in favelas and as mentioned, large scale corruption in the government. Hosting sport shouldn't be a priority when you have such a large class gap, which I suspect these events will only serve to widen further.

I've also been keeping a close eye on the goings on in Turkey, though that's been occurring for obviously different reasons. That's even seen hardcore Fenerbahce, Besiktas and Galatasary fans joining forces.

But why ? Surely a government is (or should be) capable of doing more than one thing ?
  • se9addick said:

RedPanda said:

Good. I have been following this with interest. Whilst it's the middle classes protesting there are still millions living in favelas and as mentioned, large scale corruption in the government. Hosting sport shouldn't be a priority when you have such a large class gap, which I suspect these events will only serve to widen further.

But why ? Surely a government is (or should be) capable of doing more than one thing ?
    I think you're right Se9addick, but the thing is evidentally a large number of people don't think the government has done enough for the people, has got the balance wrong and/or is not capable of getting it right. As for RedPanda's remark that it is largely the middle class participating, that may well be, but only parts of it i think. It is usually the case that educated individuals from all classess see what's wrong in a society and make sense of it first then provide the leadership to others.
  • Typical Brazilians, I saw one protestor doing a keepy up with a gas canister and lobbing it back towards the police lines.
  • se9addick said:

RedPanda said:

I'm not hot on economics but it will make local businesses and businessmen richer, hence saying the gap will widen.

From experience the transport system is a mess there, not only in cities but getting between them is expensive and very time consuming. Their way of dealing with favelas has been to attack drug dealers rather than root causes, and there's been trouble in the north over a proposed dam in the Amazon basin. Living costs are also pretty pricey.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I had a great time when visiting Brazil so I try and keep up with at least the big stories.
  • edited June 2013
    RedPanda said:

se9addick said:

RedPanda said:

I'm not hot on economics but it will make local businesses and businessmen richer, hence saying the gap will widen.

From experience the transport system is a mess there, not only in cities but getting between them is expensive and very time consuming. Their way of dealing with favelas has been to attack drug dealers rather than root causes, and there's been trouble in the north over a proposed dam in the Amazon basin. Living costs are also pretty pricey.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I had a great time when visiting Brazil so I try and keep up with at least the big stories.
    And are all the labourers employed on building sites of the massive infrastructure projects being undertaken middle class businessmen ?

I'm not knocking it and don't know enough about the situation really but a gap between the rich and poor is an accusation you could level at every capitalist country in the world, our own included. I don't quite understand the equation that because a society isn't perfect they shouldn't hold a football tournament. There must be more to this to inspire literally millions of people to come out and protest.
  • Good point! Like I said, not an expert. I don't know if they've tried to do that on the cheap though, obviously the Maracana has had its problem, whilst a few miles away the Olympic stadium has had to close.

I think it's especially prudent in Brazil. Rocinha favela has/had around 250'000 people living in it whilst within a mile there is a luxury golf course, then on Ipanema where the cool and wealthy hang out you also have street urchins trying to scrape cash together. Every society is divided but it is especially evident there, and despite emerging as an upcoming nation things haven't got better. Saying that, I can imagine India or somewhere being worse in those terms.

Yeah it is about more, what exactly I'm not sure. It's no coincidence though that it's kicked off now, and there are going to be some very expensive white elephants dotted around the country.
  • Really looking forward to my holiday in Brazil in Oct/ Nov this year now...
  • Really looking forward to my holiday in Brazil in Oct/ Nov this year now...

Still, a step up from a Saturday night out in Glasgow.

You should sack your travel agent :-)

• edited June 2013

Really looking forward to my holiday in Brazil in Oct/ Nov this year now...

can't see it being too much of a problem but I wonder if during the world cup we will see similar scenes to those going on right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just caught the end of the news, they said the average salary in Brazil is what it was over here 60 years ago.
  • I wouldn't protest if my wife wanted a Brazilian
  • edited June 2013
    The Arab Spring has crossed the Atlantic .. young and educated Brazilians want more than just daydreams of football glory,
    dodgy soap operas, the constant threat of military juntas and a life of 'manana' .. they want social improvements and they want them NOW
  • Have been to São Paulo a number of times as my wife is from there. Although the country is on the rise, there is still clearly a massive gap between the haves and have nots, so the masses travel on buses while the richest fly to work in helicopters to avoid the traffic (and threat of car-jackings).

The people were told that the World Cup stadiums would be paid for by private money, but it is nearly all coming out of public funds - and there will always be the strong suspicion of corruption.
    Remember how the game with England at the Maracana at the beginning of the month was under threat and then was suddenly back on...?

It is a great country and hopefully this worldwide exposure will have a positive impact in the longer term.
  • at least they aint argies

I love Argentinians ! I reckon on the balance of things, I'd rather be Argentine than Brazilian but it's pretty close.