Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surviving first season back in Prem?

Is it worth clubs spending loads of money on wages and overpriced players or should they just take the windfall and spend it on their facilities with a view to the future?
I'm hoping Palace go down the QPR route but I get the impression their board isn't that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    Do what we did every time, agree doubt if Palace will go down the same route as QPR.
  • Options
    You have to find a balance - the problem for Palace is they have their best player gone and their second best player out for a good chunk of next season with a cruciate knee ligament issue before they do anything. They are starting off much weaker. I fear for them - in a happy way lol.
  • Options

Is it worth clubs spending loads of money on wages and overpriced players or should they just take the windfall and spend it on their facilities with a view to the future?
    I'm hoping Palace go down the QPR route but I get the impression their board isn't that dumb.

Love that word "facilities" !

Such a great description of the "toilet" that is Selhurst Park !

They need to demolish the whole caboodle & start from scratch IMHO.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    It may be a financial windfall being promoted to the Prem - but it's also a recipe for disaster, if not handled astutely.
    However, as a club that hasn't competed in the Prem for a number of years, you're not already carrying a huge money gobbling Prem infrastructure.

Biggest danger is importing talented but expensive lazy arsed mercenaries. You need to bring in the right character of players to augment the existing team rather than try and build a new team to compete in the Prem.

First thing you already have as a newly promoted team is momentum and a great team spirit, which is what got you there in the first place.
    It's vital to ensure you keep that, despite some inevitable thumpings by bigger teams along the way.

But in that first season, every game is a Cup Final - so your team and supporters are up for it.
    And if you get relegated - well, everyone knows they've given it their best shot, and with the experience of a season in the Prem you have a stronger team than a year previously.

And zillions in the bank and a great financial foundation. It's a great recipe for your next promotion push.

• Options
    They say that getting into the prem is now worth around £120 million. So for a reasonablely sized club with some debt, but not massive like Charlton, then spending £30-40 million after paying off debts on players and wages would be worth the gamble if you want a chance to get the same amount the following season. But I think the most important thing is to sort out the debt, ground and set up first.

I would sooner have a debt free, well run club with a fantastic club thats fighting relegation than a club full of players like QPR have and a shit ground like Palarse being in the middle of the prem thinking everything was rosey!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If we are thinking specifically of how Palace will approach next season in the Prem, we must remember Ian Holloway is manager - and it may give a clue as to how things will develop.

2 or 3 seasons ago, he took an over-achieving Blackpool side into the playoffs and promotion to the Prem.
    Given very little money to spend, he kept the nucleus of his promotion winning team and cast around for hungry players desperate for a chance in the Prem.

Even though he was forced to sell his best player in the January window, his team defied the odds for most of the season only failing at the last hurdle, falling into a relegation position on the final day of the season.

Team spirit was the hallmark of that team and they took a number of big scalps (and a few thrashings) - and with better support from his chairman, Ollie may well have kept Blackpool in the Prem.

He'll bring the benefit of that experience to Palace's Prem campaign. Pity.

• Options
    Out of playoff winners Swansea did the best premier league job. 2nd season they brought in extra quality using what has proven to be an impressive scouting network.

Palace should go into it whole heartedly only spending money on players in which to replace weaknesses in their squad.

They will still go down whatever IMO.
  • Options
    With the huge jump in revenue this year it will be mighty difficult for Palace to stuff it up immediately which is sad.

The fact they are promoted after having written off their debts means they have no legacy issues and a completely new slate.

If they have any sense they will spend a few mill on their academy facilities making thembest in S London, stick £20M in the bank to be able to pay Cat1 prices for the next few years, spend a load improving Selhurst Park and bring in enough players to give them a Wigan type chance of staying up.
  • Options
    Even if they spent £50m on Selhurst, you can only polish a turd so much. Wolves spent their millions on re-developing Molineux, fat lot of good it did them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Palace will finish bottom.

The other two relegation places will be between Cardiff, Hull, Southampton, Sunderland (if the fascist nutter stays in charge), Stoke (if they are daft enough to appoint no-clues Hughes) , and Man U, who will unravel without a knight of the realm for the over-paid and over-inflated egos in their squad to look up to...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if they would like to ground-share while they re-build the New Dump?
  • Options
    I read on the BBC site that Laudrup thinks he needs to spend £200m to do the same as last year , 9th, as they over achieved.