Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Turkeys at Christmas

Watching that game today, the one Watford failed to turn up to until late into extra time, when they managed to give it to the other team by way of a penalty...
It struck me that all those players in blue and red must feel like turkeys at christmas, they busted a gut all season and with a limited squad managed to reach the promised land of the PL, only now the owners are likely to release a lot of those players as they will have to get in a lot of premier league class players to try to stay up!
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    No, couldn't give a monkies.
  • Options

Watching that game today, the one Watford failed to turn up to until late into extra time, when they managed to give it to the other team by way of a penalty...
    It struck me that all those players in blue and red must feel like turkeys at christmas, they busted a gut all season and with a limited squad managed to reach the promised land of the PL, only now the owners are likely to release a lot of those players as they will have to get in a lot of premier league class players to try to stay up!
    Any thoughts?

Agreed. Praps that's why Watford & Brighton didn't bust a gut :-(
  • Options
    Fair point.
  • Options
    They presumably have bonuses for promotion though. They will always have a promotion on their CV, and a win at Wembey.

Also I thnk that most footballers (even at our level) are thick enough, arrogant enough, and sufficiently surrounded by sickofants that it just wouldn't occur to them that they could ever be released!
  • Options
    On Talksport this morning, Holloway saying he wants to persuade Phillips to stay on board.
  • Options

Any thoughts?

Agreed. Praps that's why Watford & Brighton didn't bust a gut :-(
    And a possible explanation for our traditional end of season slump in the prem years.
  • Options
    If Palace keep that Wilbraham up front, i'd be surprised if they win a game all next season
  • Options
    DA9 said:

On Talksport this morning, Holloway saying he wants to persuade Phillips to stay on board.

I would keep him too. The mans a model pro, doesn't mind sitting on the bench and I think at that level he can still pop up with a goal.
  • Options
    Exactly, great pro, won't be on huge wages, knows he'll only be a bit part player and can even help coach their young strikers. No brainer to keep him on.
  • Options
    Back to the original point...

For sure, there will be some players released, but they may have been out the door anyway. But for the majority, they'll have their nice bonus as noted by others. And on top of that, they'll be hoping for a chance to prove themselves a level up, with a 'who knows' mindset. Steve Gritt, Steve Brown, Anthony Barness (for Bolton), Bradley Pritchard etc all might have thought that promotion was a double-edged sword, but all got a good few games in at a level that may have looked beyond them...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A good point which I have sometimes wondered, though some players do make the step up. Many of Norwich's players have played lower league football for them (Holt, Hoolihan) or came from lower league clubs (Pilkington and the Leeds signings).

These days, teams change players far more when promoted or relegated than in the old days, hence the number of players making 200 plus appearances for a club is greatly reduced outside the very top clubs and players.
  • Options

They presumably have bonuses for promotion though. They will always have a promotion on their CV, and a win at Wembey.

Agree with this - some will stay, others have the "He was part of the side that got Palace promoted" angle which would attract a better club/deal in the Championship. Like us with Doherty from Norwich.
  • Options
    Their chairman was on the radio earlier saying that the players had earned the right to play in the prem and basically that there wasnt going to be a be a massive squad overhaul. Good luck with that!
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Hope he has his own life jacket !

• Options
    edited May 2013
    You guys went up and came back down but the second you ofcourse had the long spell of staying up...was that just down to spending more/having better players anyway?

I noticed a lot of of their players aren't exactly youngsters so they might have the experience but the pace/quality required?

They'll really miss Zaha and Murray ofcourse (feel a bit for him on a personal level - scored all those goals and is now out for the season) and whilst Phillips is great they cannot rely on him.

I think Hull might do the best - just reckon Bruce has that Premier league know how and probably some good contacts.

• Options
    Phillips is great they cannot rely on him

He has also retired now.
  • Options
    Has he? He said yesterday he wanted to play on
  • Options
    Norwich and Southampton both made the step up two divisions with some of the same players that got them out of the third tier playing on in the Prem. Leon Britton has just completed fifty games for Swansea after starting out in League 2. If you are good enough, you are good enough.

I think Palace's annoyingly decent owners will add a couple of players on reasonable wages, and use the rest of the money to shore the club up. Results will be seen as irrelevant by all but a small minority their fans ( the ones who suddenly turn up next August ), they will be relegated, and then with a much improved ground and bank account, go again with a realistic chance of staying up next time.

I still see that as progress, even though I know others don't.

Where would you rather be today, looking forward to roller coaster ride in the Prem next season with a full bank account and no debt, or hoping we can hold on to our best players and maybe squeeze into the play offs ourselves next season?
  • Options
    Phoned up William hill in Croydon yesterday 2 seconds after the final whistle to check what odds they were offering on palace to be relegated with lowest ever premier league points total.Was initially told to F$$k off by a likely Stripey but when I phoned back a minute later and spoke to someone else ,and who was probably not a Nigel ,was told to call back on Tuesday .So it seems a bookmaker right on his own manor realizes that he must lay odds .Called back today and was offered evens.very interesting and doesn't demonstrate much confidence in Palace's prospects.Thinking of having a double on Holloway to be out by Christmas.
  • Options
    Evens is a shocking price.

Palace will definitely get more than 11 points. Holloway got 39 points with Blackpool and i wouldn't say their squad was that much better than Palace's now.

Even an awful side nowadays should get at least 18-20 points
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    How can they be 11/4 to finish bottom (which they are) and only Even money to break the low points record?
    Logic says that the price would be bigger than 11/4 and by some margin.