Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs in/near Sevenoaks - any recommendations?

Taking the family to Knole Park today and was thinking of maybe stopping off in a pub for some food on the way back.

Don't really know the pubs in the area, but theres a few that look nice as you drive past. Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations - or places to avoid. Family friendly, nothing too fancy on the food side - beer garden/childrens play area a bonus.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    the white heart is alright...bit expensive but has a garden area. used to have a kids playground but i think they got rid of it now.

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/whitehart/

• Options
    On the way back into London there is the Rose and Crown in orpington. Big garden and does food. Used to have kids slides and stuff.
  • Options

On the way back into London there is the Rose and Crown in orpington. Big garden and does food. Used to have kids slides and stuff.

Thanks chaps - feeling thirsty now!

This one Rodders?

http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/theroseandcrownduntongreen/

Always drive past it but never been in. There's one nearby called the Bullfinch as well. Will probably try one of those.
  • Options
    No mate that one you have linked is kent proper and right near sevenoaks if dunton green.

One im on about is green st green just as you come into orpington off the m25... http://www.youngs.co.uk/pub-detail.asp?PubID=467

Your one looks a lot nicer though and is a lot nearer to knole if you wanted to stay local to there
  • Options
    Also back orpington way the Blacksmiths Arms in Cudham is a great little pub (or used to be) has a garden but also next to a big cricket green and they have a kids park there.

Loved going there as a kid http://www.theblacksmithsarms.co.uk/
  • Options
    Love the Blacksmiths proper pub
  • Options

Also back orpington way the Blacksmiths Arms in Cudham is a great little pub (or used to be) has a garden but also next to a big cricket green and they have a kids park there.

The Blacksmith's looks handsome - will remember it the next time I'm up that way. Another good one locally is the Rose & Crown at Halstead, a flint-walled pair of cottages serving delicious Larkin's Bitter. Now I'm feeling thirsty...

• Options
    What about recommendations for pubs generally? A number of websites (inc the pubulike site referenced above) seem to have very few recent reviews... Is 'beerintheevening' the best (seems over focused on ale choices)?.
  • Options

What about recommendations for pubs generally? A number of websites (inc the pubulike site referenced above) seem to have very few recent reviews... Is 'beerintheevening' the best (seems over focused on ale choices)?.

From what I've seen, Beerintheevening seems about the best, though sometimes a bit thin on recent reviews and patchy with coverage in other parts of the country. Fancyapint is another site. Then there's Camra's Good Beer Guide, and the local Camra guides that are posted online...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks VF
  • Options
    Went to the Bullfinch in the end, after a lovely afternoon in Knole Park.

Beer garden was top notch, as was the food. After an a bit of an "iffy" Macmullens bitter the Aspall's also firmly hit the spot.

Have to say, wasn't that impressed with what they have done with the interior - looks like all the character had been ripped out the place - but as we were sat outside it didn't really bother me.

Would definitely recommend it for those with kids on a nice sunny day.
  • Options

The Blacksmiths is one of my regular pubs, they do some nice food in there.

The Tally Ho pub in Knockholt is another good one as well
  • Options
    The Blacksmiths looks like my kind of pub.
  • Options
    Tally Ho good country pub as is the White Hart, for friendliness the Miners just up the road from the Bullfinch but the Bullfinch! Not a pub for locals the landlord to far up his own $%%%!!! See all comments on 'Trip Advisor' there's even a Facebook 'Petition to remove the current management from the Bullfinch, Riverhead'
  • Options
    How long has the Bullfinch landlord been there?
  • Options
    Since McMullens took over a few years back, Not sure exactly, I should know as used to be a regular, but share the feelings of a lot of other locals. There is a lot of negative feedback even ex staff have stories that I probably cant print, one was even barred from drinking in there after his shift for no apparent reason. Problem is its McMullens only pub in Kent and after a major re-furb its making them money apparently, which is the only valided justification they could provide for supporting their managers behaviour towards his customers.
  • Options
    Been to the Bullfinch twice within the past three or four months now - enjoyed it both times. Friendly staff, decent food, Aspall's cider and a decent sized beer garden for the kids to run about in - there's even a goal!

However, I'm not a local and have no idea what it used to be like.
  • Options
    Its fine as long as you dont have any thing to do with the Manager although would argue the food is not of the standard of other local eateries and has declined. Had been going there on and off for 30 odd years until issues with the current regime.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Best pub food in Sevenoaks by a mile is the Bricklayers Arms in Chipsted - do all sorts of different speciality nights. Their chef won the Kentish Pie of the Year as well.

Harvey's straight from the barrel behind the bar is just about perfect as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Best pub food in Sevenoaks by a mile is the Bricklayers Arms in Chipsted - do all sorts of different speciality nights. Their chef won the Kentish Pie of the Year as well.

Harvey's straight from the barrel behind the bar is just about perfect as well.

He's a Charlton fan as well. Nice guy. You should introduce yourself next time you're in there.

• Options
    When I worked on the station at Sevenoaks, i used to go to the pub outside the station, which is no longer there now.
    It was owned by Ray Brady, brother of the Arsenal player Liam. One year when Arsenal won the FA cup, Liam and half the team took the cup down there without telling the manager or anyone from the club, and its been said that the club were shitting themselves as they thought they had lost it.
    Ray was totally mad. If and when he decided to open, he would drink more than the punters. When he had had enough, he would just decide to chuck everybody out. He would go over to the pool table and just clear the balls off the table, then pick up everyones drinks and empty themdown the drain!
  • Options
    Agree with Addickted the Bricklayers is excellent. If Charlton will pop in again. Did not realise. Ray Bradys was the Railway and Bike. My first under age drink in there. His son Jamie runs the Carpenters Arms at Tudely just outside Tonbridge. Thats s good pub but bit out of the way for me.