Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

German football

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

I know things tend to go in cycles, but this suggests Germany is so far ahead of us not just in talent, but a proper structure to develop more talent. The bit about the amount of education provided as insurance for the vast number who wont make it should make English clubs ashamed

Comments

• Options
    Was this same debate being had about English football when United played Chelsea in the Final three or four years ago?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The numbers of coaches used in Germany compared to here is staggering, would rather finances were used sensibly rather than disappearing into agents and players pockets , and scarring the club long term, everything is so short term, no wonder the British game is in a mess.
  • Options
    All the time the premiership has so much money thrown at it, English teams won't change and will continue to shop for the best talent around the globe, demanding instant success. Yes, the big teams will continue to also buy up all the best young talent for their academies, but are frightened to actually give them game time to help with their development, opting to send them out on loan instead to lower league teams.

I'd personally like to see a rule to be put in place within the next 5 years that all prem teams must have a minimum of say 4 academy produced players in their starting 11. Will never happen though..............
  • Options
    En

Was this same debate being had about English football when United played Chelsea in the Final three or four years ago?

To my mind it's more about the quality of players qualified to play for the national team, rather than expensively constructed club sides with players from all over the world. John Terry is the only youth team player to establish himself at Chelsea in the last decade, although Man U have a better record

• Options

En

To my mind it's more about the quality of players qualified to play for the national team, rather than expensively constructed club sides with players from all over the world. John Terry is the only youth team player to establish himself at Chelsea in the last decade, although Man U have a better record

Agreed. The point is that the German club teams are now as strong as the national team has been for some time, despite the clubs earning far less money than their English counterparts (as the TV deals have been worth far less)

• Options
    I like German Football but the instant love in it is getting at the moment does get a bit tiresome.

Jurgen Klopp is a massive face though.
  • Options
    Massive respect for the Germans and the approach they have adopted to football since 2000. Puts English football to shame!

At some point you would think that changes in this country for all clubs would have to be made in order to fall in line with the FFP rules being introduced but their would need to be a joint initiative between the FA and the Premier league to make these changes happen. Unfortunately I cannot see this happening anytime soon!

I do wonder if Charlton have looked at the German model around the development of youth players and are looking to adopt a similiar approach. A lot of development and focus on the youth team at Charlton across all age groups and this year has seen some great progress. I would say a handful of the u21 players cannot be that far off being a permanent fixture in the first team squad.

I for one would be extremely happy if this was the approach. Nothing better than seeing youth team players taking their chance in the first team and flourishing (Solly and Harriott being the recent successes).
  • Options
    Grow your own has got to be the way forward.
  • Options

Grow your own has got to be the way forward.

I always use to grow my own until I got burgled.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Man City are spot on with their new complex.
  • Options
    Anyone know which euopean club had the highest average attendance in Europe a couple of years ago?

Borussia Dortmund (80520)

In fact 7 of the top 13 in Europe were German

1 Borussia Dortmund 80,520[1] 2012–13 Westfalenstadion Germany
    2 Manchester United 75,529 [2] 2012–13 Old Trafford England
    3 Real Madrid 73,368[3] 2012–13 Santiago Bernabéu Stadium Spain
    4 Barcelona 72,660[3] 2012–13 Camp Nou Spain
    5 Bayern Munich 71,000[1] 2012–13 Allianz Arena Germany
    6 Schalke 04 61,076[1] 2012–13 Veltins-Arena Germany
    7 Arsenal 60,079[2] 2012–13 Emirates Stadium England
    8 Hamburger SV 52,916[1] 2012–13 Imtech Arena Germany
    9 Ajax 51,037[4] 2012–13 Amsterdam ArenA Netherlands
    10 Newcastle United 50,517[2] 2012–13 St James' Park England
    11 VfB Stuttgart 50,054[1] 2012–13 Mercedes-Benz Arena Germany
    12 Borussia Mönchengladbach 49,623[1] 2012–13 Borussia-Park Germany
    13 Eintracht Frankfurt 48,044[1] 2012–13 Commerzbank-Arena Germany
    14 Manchester City 46,974[2] 2012–13 Etihad Stadium England
    15 Celtic 46,917[5] 2012–13 Celtic Park Scotland

Fair to say German football is interesting (albeit wth Bayern romping it this year), well supported because it is cheap as chips and they make a proper day of it. We could learn a lot from their model
  • Options

Well that's the players get out clause right there.