Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unwanted Cats

Anyone got any good advice on keeping cats off off of my veg and flower beds.
It's been a constant battle over the years, you win some you lose some. I don't want to hurt the little beggars, but at the same time it's stretching my patience. I'm not averse to a good scare tactic, but can't have a dog as we're out all day.

I've netted most stuff off, put sticks in the ground to stop them squatting, and short of getting some lions poop or a gattling gun, I'm running out of ideas. They are sensible enough to keep out during daylight hours, and the foul deeds take place at night.

Any sensible advice welcome.
ta.

Comments

• Feed them
  • They don't like smell of orange peels. Is it deffo cats or is it foxes?
  • Can't you get those little machines that set off a noise they hate?
  • Feed them

to next doors pitbull?

you can get an electronic device that kkeps them away.
  • Sprinkle some black pepper down they'll make off as soon as they sniff it.

Cats, they show up on the camera. The foxes just dump it anywhere.

Feed them

to next doors pitbull?

you can get an electronic device that kkeps them away.
    They just stared that one in the eye and walked off.

• FAO BIG_ROB

Will try the organge peel, I've worked out where they get in the garden and leave it there.
  • A mixture of black pepper, orange peel, chillies, garlic and undiluted human piss in a spray bottle. That works like nothing else - although it doesn't smell very nice!
  • When we moved to sunny Medway, we were in one of the local farm shops for the first time when the Mrs innocently walked up to the owner/farmer and said before I could stop her, "Excuse me, can I ask some advice?", "Certainly my dear" said the farmer, "Could you advise me on what I can use to keep cats off of my plant beds?", "A shotgun" came back a deadpan reply. Laughed my bollocks off at that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• A method that can work involves nothing more complex than one of those kids long-range water pistols. If you can get a sighting from a bedroom window, the cat gets a good drenching BUT doesn't know where the water comes from. Get him a couple of times and he'll choose to go elsewhere because they really don't much like getting wet and don't understand how it's happening.
    It also gives you the great opportunity to go out and buy a mega piece of summer fun!
    Some more tips:
    First it works on wives as well as cats!
    Second best not to use a kacher!
    Third a small water pistol works well on stopping cats from wrecking furniture (without getting everywhere sodden).
  • Cheers, I sense a visit to Poundland in Eltham
  • I tried everything (orange peel, spray, food etc) and sadly th only thing that worked was drowing the entire area in strong bleech for a week. It killed a few of the plants but that was two years ago and the cats haven't been back since.
  • Sprinkle some black pepper down they'll make off as soon as they sniff it.

This works really well, and a pot of ground black pepper is cheap to buy. I've kept them away from my plant pots this year using it. You just have to remember to put more down after it's rained.

• 1. Get a (male) cat of your own.
    2. Go to the local zoo and get some Tiger/Lion sh*t from the workers. Place it liberally around the garden. Does the trick apparently.
  • A big nasty orrible dog will solve the issue
  • Think I may have resolved this by the use of superior brain power (Just)
    He comes into the garden at night to drink water from the birds water bowl (and then craps on the veg).
    By putting the water bowl on the shed roof, he doesn't need to come in the garden any more.

I've left the little git a note as well!

• As cats are of a superior intelligence they can read.
  • That's why I left the note :-)