Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dale Stephens

Comments

• He drifted in and out both L1 & CCC because defenders were firing the ball over his head and when he came back to get it had very little movement ahead of him. Now we are bringing the ball out via Dervite & Morro, he's likely to have more effect on play. Most of his games he either had JJ or Kerkar wide left, makeshift left back and BWP and/or Hulse upfront. He was dropped after the Forest debacle which could be said to be largely attributable to Yann's red.

It's all everyone else's fault then? Not Dale's.

• Why is it every single time an opposition fan goes onto any football forum and asks for views on a player they are after, they are always told they are sh1t by the players fans! Seems nobody buys good players anymore. Same when we got Morrison from Wendies, Obika etc.
  • Why is it every single time an opposition fan goes onto any football forum and asks for views on a player they are after, they are always told they are sh1t by the players fans! Seems nobody buys good players anymore. Same when we got Morrison from Wendies, Obika etc.

I'm not sure I agree - DS has a lot of talent and has scored some great goals, but he's too inconsistent/fails to dominate matches and that's been the constant message by a lot of posters who've viced an opinion.

But we have haven't done that.
  • He drifted in and out both L1 & CCC because defenders were firing the ball over his head and when he came back to get it had very little movement ahead of him. Now we are bringing the ball out via Dervite & Morro, he's likely to have more effect on play. Most of his games he either had JJ or Kerkar wide left, makeshift left back and BWP and/or Hulse upfront. He was dropped after the Forest debacle which could be said to be largely attributable to Yann's red.

There's some truth in that, but is he a better all round player than Jackson? Or a better goalscorer?

BWP hasn't started a game since early on in the season and Hulse did alright for us. Despite what some say Kerkar also did ok when he had a run in the team.

He has often taken too long on the ball and it seems to happen whoever his team mates are, even in League 1.

That said on form he looks a good player, but I think it's his own inconsistency more than anything.
  • He's a frustrating player. Seems like he's got a plan in his head but wants to carry it out in slow motion and gets punished for it. I don't think we'd miss him too much if he went. This 'better in the Prem' stuff is nonsense too. How many times have you seen a player who was brilliant in a foreign league come into the Prem and struggle at first? More often than not it'll be because he's struggled to adapt to the pace of the game - getting far less time on the ball to play the way he wants. Dale struggles for time up against L1 midfielders, he's hardly going to get much change out of Ramires and Fellaini. I do like him but he just doesn't turn it out enough. If we can get some decent money for him I'd take it
  • First of all, congratulations on a great first season back, I am quite simply ecstatic we are joining you next season as it was `touch and go` for a while!.

It is all over our local press that we are in for Dale Stephens, so, any good?:

http://www.examiner.co.uk/huddersfield-town-fc/huddersfield-town-news/2013/05/22/huddersfield-town-boss-has-transfer-targets-home-and-abroad-as-charlton-athletic-midfielder-linked-86081-33364127/

Dale is class in a glass , likes his golf apparently a bit too much , worth about 10 million, but wel'll settle for 5.

• He is a poor mans Darren Ambrose. The same physical prowess but without the goals.

All yours for 3M
  • He's a frustrating player. Seems like he's got a plan in his head but wants to carry it out in slow motion and gets punished for it. I don't think we'd miss him too much if he went. This 'better in the Prem' stuff is nonsense too. How many times have you seen a player who was brilliant in a foreign league come into the Prem and struggle at first? More often than not it'll be because he's struggled to adapt to the pace of the game - getting far less time on the ball to play the way he wants. Dale struggles for time up against L1 midfielders, he's hardly going to get much change out of Ramires and Fellaini. I do like him but he just doesn't turn it out enough. If we can get some decent money for him I'd take it

LBTF, Dale played in the team at a time where the tactics were largely "keep the shape, play it long and grab any opportunity". This tactic does not suit him, but it arguably did suit Charlton. I like him a lot, but as others say, maybe he is not the right fit for Charlton. Swap him for Clayton????

GM, Does Dale think in slow motion or were those around him simply not getting in the positions he needed them to get in?

LBTF, Dale played in the team at a time where the tactics were largely "keep the shape, play it long and grab any opportunity". This tactic does not suit him, but it arguably did suit Charlton. I like him a lot, but as others say, maybe he is not the right fit for Charlton. Swap him for Clayton????

GM, Does Dale think in slow motion or were those around him simply not getting in the positions he needed them to get in?

I don't think it's about the positioning of others. Far too many times you see Dale dither and do nothing, try turning his body to shield the ball and get eased off it, leaving the defence exposed. If the pass isn't on then the ball should be laid off to a teammate when under pressure, not haphazardly sprayed out to an opposition player, or ineffectually shielded and lost. If Dale could learn not to panic he'd be a lot more useful. It's easy to knock him and as I said I do like him but I think a change would do him and us good, provided we got the right amount of money
  • Sponsored links:

I don't think it's about the positioning of others. Far too many times you see Dale dither and do nothing, try turning his body to shield the ball and get eased off it, leaving the defence exposed. If the pass isn't on then the ball should be laid off to a teammate when under pressure, not haphazardly sprayed out to an opposition player, or ineffectually shielded and lost. If Dale could learn not to panic he'd be a lot more useful. It's easy to knock him and as I said I do like him but I think a change would do him and us good, provided we got the right amount of money
    Agree entirely - he's too often dispossessed through slowness of mind or body. How much do you think we might get for him?

• This is easy for me. Dale has all the technique and attributes to be a very good footballer. I don't know why he rarely performs to his potential. From what I have seen I am not sure he ever will. I am sad he wasn't the player I thought we had signed but won't be upset one bit in him leaving.
  • This is easy for me. Dale has all the technique and attributes to be a very good footballer. I don't know why he rarely performs to his potential. From what I have seen I am not sure he ever will. I am sad he wasn't the player I thought we had signed but won't be upset one bit in him leaving.

Dale Stephens hasn't lived up to your expectations - and BWP hasn't lived up to mine. I started a thread about BWP earlier and am grateful for the views of other members, who in the main didn't have the high hopes I had. It's a mystery why some players don't perform to their potential and it's a discussion worth having. I sometimes wonder whether certain players' shortcomings are down to their own limitations or the result of inferior coaching.

Agree entirely - he's too often dispossessed through slowness of mind or body. How much do you think we might get for him?

No idea. There is no way of telling as we only get 'undisclosed' fees and people bandying around random numbers. Could be anywhere between 30 million and a tenner. The important thing is we get enough to re-invest in a player who will give us more on the pitch

No idea. There is no way of telling as we only get 'undisclosed' fees and people bandying around random numbers. Could be anywhere between 30 million and a tenner. The important thing is we get enough to re-invest in a player who will give us more on the pitch
    If its 30 million I think we should get 2 players.
  • Tell me when you can collect & I'll make sure he's good to go :-)
  • In the past two seasons i haven't seen anything to say he's going to develop any further, in fact you could say our best performances and form have been when he hasn't played.

In my opinion he'll be exactly the same in two years time "he has potential but very inconsistent"
  • Gone down in some estimates if he was linked with big prem clubs to know smaller sides than ourselves?
  • What has changed to make Dale our best player (sans Solly/Kerms)?
  • Thought he had a good game today - put himself about a bit more than usual. Let's hope he keeps it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought he played well today.
  • edited October 2013
    Good game but not even his best this season. Which can only mean he's doing better than last year.
  • Thought he was excellent today. My MOM.
  • Off_it said:

Thought he had a good game today - put himself about a bit more than usual. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Seemed to have added a tough edge to his game
  • He has a telescopic leg that lets him nick the ball away. Think he's probably just grown to understand his role. Having Cousins must be useful.
  • He was class today. Think it could be having cousins in the middle that brings the best out in him
  • I agree, he was my MOM today too; he was pretty good against Blackpool as well I thought. Hope he keeps it up. Given how toothless we are up front as well a few more rockets like the one that just went over may be our best chance of a goal.
  • Best player on the park today, has been playing consistently well the last few games. Hope he keeps it up, with jacko, kermo and fingers crossed solly back we have a strong core of players
  • Agreed looked like one of the best players on the pitch today
  • Leuth said:

What has changed to make Dale our best player (sans Solly/Kerms)?

His attitude. He's finally decided after a few seasons, that he's going to put in some effort. It's amazing what difference it makes when you run & tackle.

Well done Dale, you were MOM again.

What a pity you've waited all this time.