Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are you the only Charlton fan you know???

Comments

• Options
    I do have family connections to London on my mum's side BIG_ROB but Bethnal Green, not SE7. My aunt's ex husband was Charlton and I think he was an influence. Just didn't want to be like everyone else and Charlton seemed to fit what I was looking for. Slightly downtrodden and in need of love.
  • Options
    When I started supporting I was in Sydenham surrounded by Palace supporters, now I'm in SA surrounded by Liverpool and Man Utd supporters (there are 3 other SA lifers but I don't know them). I did have a fantastic 4-5 years when we moved back to the Valley when I used to go to the games with a group of old time Charlton supporters who I met through my old school caretaker who was a life long fan. There was me in my mid twenties and most of them in there 60's I learn't more about Charlton and being a Charlton supporter in that time than before or since. I have introduced my daughters into the fold, so there are two other Charlton fans with me now.
  • Options
    I'm the only Charlton fan full stop. The rest of you are just plastic.
  • Options

Stopshouting's post has inspired me to rustle up a Sheffield Addicks flag for next season. Harpenden is not the only northern enclave. Any others?

Lincs could get one done with Grimsby Addick on it.

Think we should just make a few randoms anyway to raise our profile and kid viewers that we are global.

Stuttgart Addicks/ Belgrade Charlton/ West Virginia Valley Faithfull for example.
  • Options
    I once saw someone in a Charlton shirt in Burnham-on-Crouch in Essex, which was unexpected. Agree about the visibility of our fans sometimes. I know of at least 2 close to me in Ladywell not counting my kids and there's one house with Charlton stickers on it, I am sure there's more I don't know about.
  • Options
    A friend of mine now lives in Scunthorpe. He and his son are both Charlton supporter.
  • Options
    Im the opposite! I live in Kent and know at least 50 other charlton fans ... Think the only other local club being Gillingham sends the supporters our way! lol
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    For all those who think they're on their own, I have a heart warming story (cue the Simon Bates theme). I've lived all my life in Essex: First Canvey, then Southend and Westcliff, now Wakering. At school there were a couple of kids who said their dads supported Charlton but in terms of the people I knew, I was always pretty much on my own; it was just me and my dad until he moved to Wales and then on to a more distant place.

I only used to watch The Addicks occasionally as I didn't fancy making the journey on my own. Then one day in 1998 I was picking up my son from nursery when one of the other dads came over to speak to me. He said that he was a Charlton fan and that he'd clocked my son's scarf and my car sticker. We got chatting and then a few days later, much to my amazement, this guy gave me a ticket for the play-off final - free of charge!!! I hadn't even tried to get one myself, thinking I'd stand no chance* Anyway, on the day of the historic win I was introduced to a circle of Addicks living quite nearby. We've been great friends and I've been a season ticket holder ever since.

So, keep your spirits up you never know who might be just around the corner.

*Sorry, I realise this is likely to hack-off any one who used to go regularly but couldn't get one.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Same here. At School everyone supported Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs (this was the mid to late eighties). I went to Riverside School in Thamesmead and I put the lack of Charlton support down to the fact we were on our sojourn at Palace. Since then I've met one or two Charlton fans but I can't say they were friends.

*This thread needs to be renamed the 'billy no charlton mates' thread.

Oi!
  • Options

I personally know one person in Norwich who supports Charlton who grew up in Plumstead. I also know a couple of people who 'knows a Charlton supporter' and very occasionally see cars with Charlton stickers.

Two more of us here in Norwich mate! Me and my boy. Reckon you must be the fella we sometimes see driving down the A11 en-route VFL? I ended up settling here (love it) after moving this way with the RAF in the late 90's.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I do have family connections to London on my mum's side BIG_ROB but Bethnal Green, not SE7. My aunt's ex husband was Charlton and I think he was an influence. Just didn't want to be like everyone else and Charlton seemed to fit what I was looking for. Slightly downtrodden and in need of love.

Story of my life
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Story of my life
    Awww need a hug big fella?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    DA9 said:

Had a rockabilly mate of mine in Hemsby last weekend (he is west ham), say to me "your the only Charlton fan I have ever met"

lol

Everybody says that to me where I live. You get used to it.

• Options
    I live in Kerry and it's 99% Liverpool, Man U and Celtic around here.

Many football fans here haven't heard of Charlton except for Matty Holland occasionally mentioning Charlton whilst doing punditry work on the radio and tv.

I have only seen 1 car with a Charlton sticker in a local car park.

I have never met another addick here.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I live in Kerry and it's 99% Liverpool, Man U and Celtic around here.

Many football fans here haven't heard of Charlton except for Matty Holland occasionally mentioning Charlton whilst doing punditry work on the radio and tv.

I have only seen 1 car with a Charlton sticker in a local car park.

I have never met another addick here.

Me pal Gerry is from Kerry, d'you know him? Lives in Gravesend now if it helps

; )
  • Options
    SE10 said:

I know of two brothers who were born and live in Solihull and support Charlton down to their old man.

And I know them too...initially from Valencia away, great company. In Stourport/Kidderminster in the 70s there was my dad, myself and a work friend of his who always wore red socks and a red and white tie to work.

I put a Charlton sticker up discreetly on my window at work and have since discovered 6 other followers in Rushden.

• Options
    Ready for away days at Doncaster, Barnsley et
  • Options
    Any other Addicks in Peterborough??? I live here now! Have seen a couple on the train occasionally but other than that no-one!
  • Options

Ready for away days at Doncaster, Barnsley et

Like the idea but why so much blue? Some planks might mistake us for L***s United and I'm not f***ing having that!
  • Options
    I got chatting to the man sitting next to me on a flight back from Kenya and was amazed to discover he was also a Charlton season ticket holder (as well as used to work for the same department). I was working in Islamabad with 2 more & there was another in Iran - others used to joke they must be the other Charlton supporters - flipping cheek! There are at least a couple more at work I've met at work since being back in London - always a lovely surprise when so unexpected; I try not to overact, but they normally think the same and understand!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Some years ago I was in a meeting with a mix of Scots and Londoners and the discussion was around Glasgow Rangers.I asked one of the guys from London whether he supported an English club and i nearly fainted when he said he was an Addick.

We adjourned for a marathon session in the pub where we compared war stories and realised we had been in the same pub in Wigan a month earlier.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I thought I would be when I moved to East Devon, but surprisingly not. One of the blokes that works at one of our local sports centres is an Addick and used to be a regular in the 50s and 60s. Then I found out that a mate of mines father in law is a season ticket holder who lives in Taunton. As a result my mates 7 year old daughter is an Addick, which means there are two unrelated Charlton fans in one 100 pupil primary school in Devon, what are the odds!
  • Options
    We're massive.
  • Options
    I came to Oz in 93, and for years I never came across a fellow supporter, and now I live with one here in Perth, W.A with @Eirik Bakke. I think he still regrets the decision!

I've met fellow Charlton fans here through the site that @TEL set up, addicks downunder, and have made good friends through that.

I went to school in Orpington, and there was one other charlton lad in our year who I used to go to games with, and caught up last year after 25 odd years as went to Millwall away, and he was still the diamond bloke I remembered.
  • Options

I thought I would be when I moved to East Devon, but surprisingly not. One of the blokes that works at one of our local sports centres is an Addick and used to be a regular in the 50s and 60s.

I'm assuming this guy is not a fitness instructor then Imnot?

If he was say around 20 in the 50's and was a regular, that would make him in his eighties now!

What's his job?

• Options

Born in Salisbury, ended up in York via Canada. Met another Charlton fan at York station heading to a game back in 93, became mates but he lives in Bolton now. There's another York based Addick who posts on here but I've never met him. Don't have any Charlton mates locally now.
    Like others I quite revel in being the only Charlton fan people know. Wouldn't want to be lumped in with the Leeds/Man U/Liverpool sheep.

Lmao Ive met the other York Addick!

• Options
    Lots here, but scattered all over as Ozaddick said....had lunch by the harbour with two yesterday in Wollongong
  • Options

I thought I would be when I moved to East Devon, but surprisingly not. One of the blokes that works at one of our local sports centres is an Addick and used to be a regular in the 50s and 60s. Then I found out that a mate of mines father in law is a season ticket holder who lives in Taunton. As a result my mates 7 year old daughter is an Addick, which means there are two unrelated Charlton fans in one 100 pupil primary school in Devon, what are the odds!

Went on holiday to East Devon a couple of years ago and saw Charlton badges on four occasions, including meeting a family who, like us, were taking a ride on The Seaton Tram (typical Charlton).
  • Options

Stopshouting's post has inspired me to rustle up a Sheffield Addicks flag for next season. Harpenden is not the only northern enclave. Any others?

Lincs could get one done with Grimsby Addick on it.

Great idea Andy!

Dad is an Addick thankfully. Not to be taken for granted for those that pass on the genes, because his dad was Millwall (coughs).
    I only ever met one other Charlton fan randomly in life. He used to work in the same company as i did as a photographer. Was called Spencer, think he lived in Nottingham! That's about it.

Coooome onnnn you Sheffield Addicks :-)
    Good idea Andy, there's a little cluster of us Addicks in Sheffield
  • Options
    At Lands End last year saw a man sitting on a bench wearing his charlton shirt. Went over to say hello. And a few weeks ago in the Black Rabbit Arundel there was a family with charlton shirts on. Again i went over to say hello. Its always good to see the charlton shirts around the country.