Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options

all good clean fun.

You nearly had hundreds of new customers coming to The Old Loyal Britons until that last comment. ;-)
  • Options
    See all those overheads you've listed Strasburger, I've got it in my head that supermarkets or indeed any shop have the same don't they? Yeah Sky Sports if you have it would be an extra. I still prefer drinking in a pub than at home, but can feel a bit robbed at times. My most recent trip to the pub certainly left me with that feeling!
  • Options

See all those overheads you've listed Strasburger, I've got it in my head that supermarkets or indeed any shop have the same don't they? Yeah Sky Sports if you have it would be an extra. I still prefer drinking in a pub than at home, but can feel a bit robbed at times. My most recent trip to the pub certainly left me with that feeling!

Indeed most shops (supermarkets) will have the same types of overheads but are not limited in what they supply, also I am no expert but as I understand it rates and indeed VAT on most goods they sell are not as high as a licensed premises VAT on most food from supermarkets are 0%. Also they do tend to sell beers almost all the time at a loss which a pub just can not do. I can not buy some beers at wholesale prices as cheaply as they do. This is only one small part of the problem however with the pub trade and the figures for the number of pubs falling is still very high. I along with a small number of other like minded people are trying to save as many as we can but it is no easy task I will be lucky to see any real profit in the next 12 months from our current one pub but are still looking at expanding our small group over time. It is no get rich quick business but more a lifestyle chose.
  • Options

all good clean fun.

You nearly had hundreds of new customers coming to The Old Loyal Britons until that last comment. ;-)
    You can leave the good clean fun at home if you like ;-)
  • Options

Indeed most shops (supermarkets) will have the same types of overheads but are not limited in what they supply, also I am no expert but as I understand it rates and indeed VAT on most goods they sell are not as high as a licensed premises VAT on most food from supermarkets are 0%. Also they do tend to sell beers almost all the time at a loss which a pub just can not do. I can not buy some beers at wholesale prices as cheaply as they do. This is only one small part of the problem however with the pub trade and the figures for the number of pubs falling is still very high. I along with a small number of other like minded people are trying to save as many as we can but it is no easy task I will be lucky to see any real profit in the next 12 months from our current one pub but are still looking at expanding our small group over time. It is no get rich quick business but more a lifestyle chose.
    Good luck with it Strasburger. I have been in your place and yes the service and range of beers you have beats many places.

I've heard that before, that the supermarkets sell their beer at a loss, offset by the profit on every thing else, but how does a small independent shop do it? E.g a shop near me will typically sell 6 cans of lager for a fiver. Buy the same beer in the pub over the road and that fiver wouldn't buy you a pint and a half. And that shop is predominately alcoholic drinks, not to much else to offset a loss against.
  • Options

Read this thread and it inspired me to nip for a quick pint in Beckenham on the way home after a hard day at work. Went in the White Lion? (formerly the Goose). Its like a Wetherspoon, but not. Can only be described as a sh*t pub. It was a bad choice, but there aren't many choices in Beckenham and it's only £2.25 for a pint of Greene King IPA. I then go in Sainsburys and they're selling pint bottles of Greene King IPA for a quid!!!! How do you compete with that?!!
  • Options
    It sounds to me like you need a "second" till and a card share sky box Strasburger.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I bought a glass of wine in a bar last night and cost me 9.70.
    Wasnt even a nice one.

Was it a pint?

• Options

Good luck with it Strasburger. I have been in your place and yes the service and range of beers you have beats many places.

I've heard that before, that the supermarkets sell their beer at a loss, offset by the profit on every thing else, but how does a small independent shop do it? E.g a shop near me will typically sell 6 cans of lager for a fiver. Buy the same beer in the pub over the road and that fiver wouldn't buy you a pint and a half. And that shop is predominately alcoholic drinks, not to much else to offset a loss against.

Thanks Micky hope to see you again sometime.

I can see your point and imagine it is a small off licence type affair if a pub sells the same beer in cans it would most likely be only a little bit more as it is most people would not want to buy beer in a pub that is in a can but would like it severed in a pint glass from a keg via a tap. The gas that drives that system costs money I would scare you all with the running costs of a beer chiller and a 11g keg no where near as cheap as cans.

Again this is only one side and a small one, of the problem for pubs as a whole and as other members have said some seem to get it all very wrong trying to be to many thinks for lots of different people or indeed not the most comfortable place to be. It is a real shame for the trade up and down the country.
  • Options

Thanks Micky hope to see you again sometime.

I can see your point and imagine it is a small off licence type affair if a pub sells the same beer in cans it would most likely be only a little bit more as it is most people would not want to buy beer in a pub that is in a can but would like it severed in a pint glass from a keg via a tap. The gas that drives that system costs money I would scare you all with the running costs of a beer chiller and a 11g keg no where near as cheap as cans.

Again this is only one side and a small one, of the problem for pubs as a whole and as other members have said some seem to get it all very wrong trying to be to many thinks for lots of different people or indeed not the most comfortable place to be. It is a real shame for the trade up and down the country.
    Oh I'll definitely be back Strasburger! like I say my opinion is just a punter's perception about the price. I don't know what you make of Curb it's experience with the glass of wine!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Read this thread and it inspired me to nip for a quick pint in Beckenham on the way home after a hard day at work. Went in the White Lion? (formerly the Goose). Its like a Wetherspoon, but not. Can only be described as a sh*t pub. It was a bad choice, but there aren't many choices in Beckenham and it's only £2.25 for a pint of Greene King IPA. I then go in Sainsburys and they're selling pint bottles of Greene King IPA for a quid!!!! How do you compete with that?!!

Wish we could get bottles in that cheap most cost at least double. £2.25 for a pint is a good price however in a pub real shame you did not enjoy the visit.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The old post office turned into a boozer in Forest Hill (Sylvan Post) is f***ing horrible. A shitty little place that is trying too hard to be 'ironic'. Crap beer, crap food, crap service and frequented almost entirely by hipster twats.

The Foresters, on the other hand, now THAT is a proper pub. The other aide of the railway station - and a million miles away in terms of warmth, service and 'proper' pub characteristics.
  • Options
    ads said:

Curb_It said:

I bought a glass of wine in a bar last night and cost me 9.70.
    Wasnt even a nice one.

Was it a pint?

No it wasn't! Wasn't even a goblet of wine.

Micky I was in Balls Bros in Hayes Galleria ... Tonnes of tourists passing so yes they are going to milk it. So rip them off plus all us Poncy city workers.
  • Options
    The changing demographics of this country is another reason pubs are on the way out. In a city like London where 50% of the population are new immigrants, from countries that do not have what you might call the pub culture, but a cafe one. then you can see why so many are closing.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I've noticed a big difference over time in what happens when a team of people from our office go for a drink. When I started work, going to the pub was quite cheap. Trips to the pub were quite long and relaxed, no-one had any problems getting a round in. Then things started getting more expensive, an increasing number of people didn't buy rounds anymore, there became a culture of sitting back and hoping (quite unfairly) that the team leader or manager would get the drinks in on the grounds that they were paid more and could afford it. Now, even the higher paid struggle to buy a round, the new culture is to go-dutch and get out quick - after all they're only colleagues not friends.

I can't help but wonder, is it all part of a conspiracy by the CBI to get everyone working longer hours? ;-)
  • Options

Heard good things about The Bricklayers (opposite the cinema in Beckenham).

http://bricklayersarms.co/
  • Options
    I've heard that Clancys on the Woolwich Road is now shut. (The pub that was once called The Dockers and before that the Million Hare I think).
  • Options

I've heard that Clancys on the Woolwich Road is now shut. (The pub that was once called The Dockers and before that the Million Hare I think).

Been open all this season.
  • Options

And before that the Lord Howick.
    Where i served my apprenticeship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well according to my mate he said he went past it last night and said it has been closed.
  • Options
    He didn't go past at 3am did he?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

he has been known to get things wrong! I'll probably find out he meant the Victoria....
  • Options

iaitch said:

he has been known to get things wrong! I'll probably find out he meant the Victoria....

They've closed the Victoria? Missed that one.
  • Options

iaitch said:

They've closed the Victoria? Missed that one.
    surely you didn't miss the pnb.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The Woodman on Watling Street in Bexleyheath has been pulled down and flats are now being built. Spend a few years playing football for them in the late 80s.
  • Options
    Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere but they're finally working on the pub in the old Woolwich building. Due to open "soon".
  • Options
    I can confirm Clancys is closed and there is a horrible smell in Charlton.
  • Options
    Shepherd Neame have continued their programme of destroying traditional pubs by making them into sparse, echoy, hotel lobbies; the latest The Prince Albert in Bexleyheath, known as "Pots and Pans" to many. All that lovely brass and copper has gone and so has the atmosphere and character of the pub.
    Thank goodness for Micropubs!
  • Options
    Just spent a few days in L'pool and Manchester where there are any number of proper pubs still standing, Manchester especially.

Off to Broadstairs tomorrow where there is a fantastic old pub,'The Brown Jug' off the Ramsgate Rd, where the septuagenarian land lady still tots up the round in her head. No music, no machines, just locals talking and drinking or playing boules in the garden. Also, the 'The Thirty - nine Steps', a micro pub in the town centre with some good local ales.

Then 'The Life boat', in Margate,a small pub with a bank of proper ciders and perrys, some of which are decidedly trippy.

Interesting to see the first seeds of Chirpy's micro pub starting to take root at the beginning of the the thread.