Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Riviera said:

Apparently what was The Crown in Court Yard, Eltham has applied to reopen as a liscensed premises called The Rusty Bucket.
    Not sure who is behind it.

They're a pizza company aren't they? Planning already in to develop the upstairs into flats.
    Seems like a couple, not attached to a brewery, are taking it on.

https://www.facebook.com/therustybucket.pub/
  • Over £10 for a pint of London Pale Ale (Meantime) and a medium (175ml) glass of house white wine in the Princess of Wales yesterday....they arn't doing themselves any favours with those prices, just as well the mother in law only wanted a soda water. On a brighter note the fish pie in Cafe Rouge was very good, as was the house red.
  • Noticed the Holly Tree had closed down in Lewisham yesterday, however to my surprise the Old Rose of Lee/Sports/Dirty South has been re-opened.
  • MrLargo said:

Drove past the Holly Tree tonight (Lewisham/Hither Green) - windows and doors all boarded up. Don't know the circumstances, it's shut before and reopened. Hope it returns - one of the last examples in Lewisham of what pubs were like before gentrification.

Only noticed that yesterday....we hadn't been up to Lewisham since the end of August (was in Spain throughout September/early October.....hope it re opens, my niece is named Holly...it was her grandads (RIP) local.
  • Riviera said:

Try The Dacre Arms.....sandwiched in the back streets between Lee High Road and Belmont Hill......it’s at the Blackheath end of Belmont Hill.
    A little gem!

Was.

Not the same since Terry passed away.
    Very true.
  • @Hastingsaddick - I was in the POW last night.... the Meantime London Pale was off...they shouldn't have been serving it...certainly not after about 8pm when I reported it to them after two of our pints were 'contaminated'...smelt dreadful and tasted foul.... I reckon they'd left cleaner in the pipes as it had a slightly chemical taste to it...
  • funnily enough just happened to be at catford bridge the other day and popped into the recently reopened railway tavern ..its actually quite good ..have to say i was pleasantly suprised
  • lolwray said:

funnily enough just happened to be at catford bridge the other day and popped into the recently reopened railway tavern ..its actually quite good ..have to say i was pleasantly suprised

Definitely a step up from when it was The Copperfield, although that wouldn't be difficult. There's not many decent pubs in Catford, and Tesco tried to turn it into yet another Express/Metro store, so it's great that it's still a pub and seems to be thriving.

Have to say though, I am mightily bored of the new style of post-gentrification pub, full of yummy mummies and blokes who wear red trousers, serving food on quirkily-shaped bits of wood and slate.

Blythe Hill Tavern is still the best pub in Catford imho.
  • The Bitter End offy in Bromley is going to reopen as The Bitter End Micropub.
  • MrLargo said:

lolwray said:

funnily enough just happened to be at catford bridge the other day and popped into the recently reopened railway tavern ..its actually quite good ..have to say i was pleasantly suprised

Definitely a step up from when it was The Copperfield, although that wouldn't be difficult. There's not many decent pubs in Catford, and Tesco tried to turn it into yet another Express/Metro store, so it's great that it's still a pub and seems to be thriving.

Have to say though, I am mightily bored of the new style of post-gentrification pub, full of yummy mummies and blokes who wear red trousers, serving food on quirkily-shaped bits of wood and slate.

I work in Catford and unless you fancy the trek up to Blythe Hill, the other options are variable. I like the new CBT - spacious and good beer. The Constitutional Club (old Tory Club) is hit and miss - can be good, but it's an Antic pub and they're just property developers who happen to run (and close) pubs. The Black Cat (ex-Ram) is a bit dead a lot of the time. The Wetherspoons isn't one of the better ones. The Black Horse and Harrow stands out by not having decent beer.
    That still looks better than Lewisham does at the moment though.

• Sponsored links:

• Definitely avoid Lewisham, some horrible pubs there...

Mother in law lives there, but we tend to go up Blackheath or Greenwich when we visit.
  • rananegra said:

MrLargo said:

lolwray said:

I work in Catford and unless you fancy the trek up to Blythe Hill, the other options are variable. I like the new CBT - spacious and good beer. The Constitutional Club (old Tory Club) is hit and miss - can be good, but it's an Antic pub and they're just property developers who happen to run (and close) pubs. The Black Cat (ex-Ram) is a bit dead a lot of the time. The Wetherspoons isn't one of the better ones. The Black Horse and Harrow stands out by not having decent beer.
    That still looks better than Lewisham does at the moment though.

I live in Catford but sadly a 25 minute walk from the Blythe Tavern so don't get in there very much. Generally agree with you about the others though.

Moving back to Lewisham in a few weeks, just over the road from the Talbot, which is a pretty decent pub. Considering the amount of gentrification that's happened in Lewisham over the last few years, it's odd that there aren't more decent venues, particularly as Model Market has demonstrated that there's definitely a market for it. Antic are opening up in the old Market Tavern on the high street, but taking an age to get round to it, having abandoned the Ravensbourne last year.

Been in The Brookmill a couple of times since it reopened (previously the very shabby Cranbrook). Feels more like a restaurant than a pub. Sausage rolls and scotch eggs on the bar, £4.50 and £5.00 respectively!
  • Re The land at the rear of the Vanbrugh Tavern Greenwich.

There is a Greenwich Area Committee meeting at the Town Hall,Wellington Street, Woolwich on Tuesday 24th July starting at 6.30 pm where the above is one of the items on the Agenda.
    This meeting is open to the public.

There is a Greenwich Area Committee meeting at the Town Hall,Wellington Street, Woolwich on Tuesday 24th July starting at 6.30 pm where the above is one of the items on the Agenda.

Are you talking about the pub garden or land behind the garden ?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

My brother-in-law has been struggling to find a property to open his niche pub. He's been looking for almost all of this year with no joy.
    He thought he'd found the ideal spot in Petts Wood and even after agreeing terms with the agent, the landlord opted to go with someone else's offer last week. So bloody annoying as that would have been perfect being just 10 minutes down the road.

Already a very successful niche micropub in Petts Wood, One Inn The Wood. Bromley lacks such a place so does Orpington and New Eltham.
    Yes, we're aware of that. He's on the lookout for a property around Beckenham, Bromley, Bickley or Orpington but the type of property he is looking for, A? (not sure which one) is very thin on the ground or has ridiculous rental. The family looked at buying a commercial property for him to operate from but the commercial mortgages we needed required a huge deposit which put it way beyond our means, despite it having two very large flats above it, which were a huge attraction as we could have let them out. He's got the support of the relevant people at Bromley Council on his side but the private landlords seem to be a problem.

Can't give no more details at the moment as its not my place to say etc but will share details when hopefully he does find somewhere.
    Any update on this @JohnBoyUK ?
  • Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

My brother-in-law has been struggling to find a property to open his niche pub. He's been looking for almost all of this year with no joy.
    He thought he'd found the ideal spot in Petts Wood and even after agreeing terms with the agent, the landlord opted to go with someone else's offer last week. So bloody annoying as that would have been perfect being just 10 minutes down the road.

Already a very successful niche micropub in Petts Wood, One Inn The Wood. Bromley lacks such a place so does Orpington and New Eltham.
    Yes, we're aware of that. He's on the lookout for a property around Beckenham, Bromley, Bickley or Orpington but the type of property he is looking for, A? (not sure which one) is very thin on the ground or has ridiculous rental. The family looked at buying a commercial property for him to operate from but the commercial mortgages we needed required a huge deposit which put it way beyond our means, despite it having two very large flats above it, which were a huge attraction as we could have let them out. He's got the support of the relevant people at Bromley Council on his side but the private landlords seem to be a problem.

Can't give no more details at the moment as its not my place to say etc but will share details when hopefully he does find somewhere.
    Any update on this @JohnBoyUK ?
    No, not really. He went after two properties close by to him and couldnt persuade the landlords to give him their property and then get the retrospective relevant change of usage...both of which have now become coffee shops within 500 yards of each other.

On the back burner for the time being as his wife is still on maternity leave but I think he'll be looking again shortly.

I believe they want to build a residential property on the pub garden.
  • edited July 2018

Re The land at the rear of the Vanbrugh Tavern Greenwich.

I believe they want to build a residential property on the pub garden.

Riviera said:

This is worth putting out there. The is an application in with Royal Greenwich to develop The Vanbrugh Tavern's garden into a residential property. Locals are obviously up in arms. You can object or support the application if you're a Royal Greenwich resident on this link https://planning.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_GRNW_DCAPR_90550
    There are well over 200 objections on here and the three listed as supporting comments are in fact objections too! The public consultation period finishes tomorrow so it's important to act now.

• I imagine you're somewhat paying for the large selection of cask and keg they offer. This is the first place they've run and I dare say they're finding their feet with regards to what works and what doesn't.

Your complaint is understandable though, Anna. That's a lot for cask and maybe not wise when you're a few doors from a Spoons and not far from the excellent Long Pond.
  • Sponsored links:

• I frequent the Rusty Bucket fairly regularly and am yet to see a cask ale priced above £4.20. I can only assume this must have been a one off for a higher ABV ale and therefore due to the higher level of duty due.
  • Yeah, what was it, @Anna_Kissed? We're you on an 8 percenter?

Mother in law lives there, but we tend to go up Blackheath or Greenwich when we visit.
    Drop the kids off and go and get on it. Like your style @Hastingsaddick
  • Friday lunchtime, my work mate and I have been frequenting The Duke of Wellington at the back of Spitalfields near Commercial Rd, a traditional pub, untouched by modern gaudy awfulness.

Been in existence since 1843 but alas we arrived there on Friday and it was actually in the process of being boarded up.

I believe the owners had lost a long term battle with redevelopers . It's a real shame, had a good lunchtime clientele and I've been in there after work and it's always been busy.

Now looking for a suitable replacement, any suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • Friday lunchtime, my work mate and I have been frequenting The Duke of Wellington at the back of Spitalfields near Commercial Rd, a traditional pub, untouched by modern gaudy awfulness.

Been in existence since 1843 but alas we arrived there on Friday and it was actually in the process of being boarded up.

I believe the owners had lost a long term battle with redevelopers . It's a real shame, had a good lunchtime clientele and I've been in there after work and it's always been busy.

Now looking for a suitable replacement, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

More about the death of Duke of Wellington: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2018/07/17/so-long-the-duke-of-wellington/

As a replacement traditional pub, try the Pride of Spitalfields in Heneage Street, just off Brick Lane.
  • Scandalous. Much like The Gun.
  • Developers and councils couldn’t care less about our history and culture. As long as someone is making money.