Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Yann Kermogant

Only just become aware that Yann had leuekemia at the age of 14 and was out of football for 4 years because of it (courtesy of Wikipedia).
Been watching Charlton for more years than I care to admit but Yann is, without doubt, one of the most technically gifted strikers I've ever seen at The Valley. Yesterday's performance simply confirmed what he is capable of - absolutely different level.
Saw some of his goals in France on You Tube and all I can say is, 'take a bow, son!'.
«134567

Comments

  • I wish the chip that hit the bar would have gone in - would have been an unbelievable moment.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, Yann's story is incredibly inspirational - I can't remember how long he was out for (around 4 or 5 years?) but you wouldn't know looking at him play. He has quickly become one of my favourite players (in a team of favourites it must be said) - and it's made even better by the fact that he actually appears to be happy here after the fiasco at Leicester. Plus, if the Celtic news is to be believed then it's even better.

    I wont lie, at first I never saw him as that talented - maybe even limited in some ways; "he can head the ball and do a few fancy flick-ons..". After spending some more time watching him though, I realised that some of his real skill is precisely down to the fact that he doesn't seem to spend ages on the ball. His flick-ons are immense, he's dominant in the air, he can finish pretty cleanly.. oh, and he's 150% warrior.

    I remember hearing that at Leicester (A) they tried to Boo him but he simply didn't have the ball long enough for it to really have an effect; he seems to get it, move it on and come to collect it again. A nice style of play - and compliments players like Fuller and Harriott that make their whole game out of the fact that they move with the ball, they take players on and so on..

    To top it all off - he even seems able to come back and defend when needed. Top notch. I think we really missed him when he was out - he provides a lot more than is immediately visible in my opnion.
  • http://www.passion-sdr.com/t11100p500-yann-kermorgant
    What the French think!
    Check out Yann Kermogant Overhead Kick on You Tube (not sure how to cut and paste the link) but that shows what he can do!
  • One of the French comments on my French link (last post) translates as, 'Playing for Charlton in English DIv 2, a level which is, in the main, better than French League 1'
  • se9addick said:

    I wish the chip that hit the bar would have gone in - would have been an unbelievable moment.

    Agreed but Obika's follow up and the power he got on the header was also top drawer.
  • purdis said:

    One of the French comments on my French link (last post) translates as, 'Playing for Charlton in English DIv 2, a level which is, in the main, better than French League 1'

    Yes, but they also refer to what they see as our limited kick and rush style of play with the ball played a lot in the air.


  • Nadou said:

    purdis said:

    One of the French comments on my French link (last post) translates as, 'Playing for Charlton in English DIv 2, a level which is, in the main, better than French League 1'

    Yes, but they also refer to what they see as our limited kick and rush style of play with the ball played a lot in the air.


    Think we are even guilty of that in the Premiership. Stoke bought Jon Waters from Ipswich partly because of his ability to nod on from goal kicks & kicks from the keeper.
    Ironically, I've seen CAFC a few times playing 4-5-1 with Yann nodding on to nobody from goal kicks! Mustn't be negative, though, this end of season has been really special.
  • purdis said:

    http://www.passion-sdr.com/t11100p500-yann-kermorgant
    What the French think!
    Check out Yann Kermogant Overhead Kick on You Tube (not sure how to cut and paste the link) but that shows what he can do!

    Had to automatically translate that, but they also seem to love him. They also seemed rather happy about his goal against Leicester... :D



    Although, against Wycombe last year he had an overhead kick from miles out that was denied by the goal post... IIRC BWP then put it in the back of the net, but if it had just been inches to the side...
  • Thanks for the video - badly defended as it was, still one hell of a finish!
  • LuckyReds said:

    Yeah, Yann's story is incredibly inspirational - I can't remember how long he was out for (around 4 or 5 years?) but you wouldn't know looking at him play. He has quickly become one of my favourite players (in a team of favourites it must be said) - and it's made even better by the fact that he actually appears to be happy here after the fiasco at Leicester. Plus, if the Celtic news is to be believed then it's even better.

    I wont lie, at first I never saw him as that talented - maybe even limited in some ways; "he can head the ball and do a few fancy flick-ons..". After spending some more time watching him though, I realised that some of his real skill is precisely down to the fact that he doesn't seem to spend ages on the ball. His flick-ons are immense, he's dominant in the air, he can finish pretty cleanly.. oh, and he's 150% warrior.

    I remember hearing that at Leicester (A) they tried to Boo him but he simply didn't have the ball long enough for it to really have an effect; he seems to get it, move it on and come to collect it again. A nice style of play - and compliments players like Fuller and Harriott that make their whole game out of the fact that they move with the ball, they take players on and so on..

    To top it all off - he even seems able to come back and defend when needed. Top notch. I think we really missed him when he was out - he provides a lot more than is immediately visible in my opnion.

    That's a really good assessment of Yann - spot on

  • Sponsored links:


  • purdis said:

    http://www.passion-sdr.com/t11100p500-yann-kermorgant
    What the French think!
    Check out Yann Kermogant Overhead Kick on You Tube (not sure how to cut and paste the link) but that shows what he can do!

    Love some of the comments.

    Kermorgant ... He contributed so much to the club. A holy man.

    I was at Charlton Stadium last Tuesday during the game against Leicester and I really fell in love with this club, great atmosphere, a great fighting spirit and mood, in addition to that they have smart fans I took more pleasure in seeing this game only to see Arsenal U21 - U21 Bolton, Chelsea - Reading and Tottenham -. WBA This is a more beautiful place on the heights of London.
  • Sadly he's not yet been offered a contract despite wanting it sorted before he goes on holiday!

    Really don't want to lose him
  • Swisdom said:

    Sadly he's not yet been offered a contract despite wanting it sorted before he goes on holiday!

    Really don't want to lose him

    he signed a contract extention last season , keeping him here until 2014 - i imagine he will get another extention this summer/next season

  • Swisdom said:

    Sadly he's not yet been offered a contract despite wanting it sorted before he goes on holiday!

    Really don't want to lose him

    Nothing to worry about, he signed a contract last summer until 2014 http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20120725-kermorgant-new-contract-268309.aspx
  • Ok cool. Think he was promised another though - yet to materialise. Same with Solly
  • Hope so, would be great to have both Yann and Solly secured on longer deals this summer.
  • Bargain of the centuary.
  • Scoham said:

    Hope so, would be great to have both Yann and Solly secured on longer deals this summer.

    i imagine both will get them once the players to be released are announced/told next week
  • This has been posted before on here, but always worth another watch.

  • C_A_F_C said:

    purdis said:

    http://www.passion-sdr.com/t11100p500-yann-kermorgant
    What the French think!
    Check out Yann Kermogant Overhead Kick on You Tube (not sure how to cut and paste the link) but that shows what he can do!

    Love some of the comments.

    Kermorgant ... He contributed so much to the club. A holy man.

    I was at Charlton Stadium last Tuesday during the game against Leicester and I really fell in love with this club, great atmosphere, a great fighting spirit and mood, in addition to that they have smart fans I took more pleasure in seeing this game only to see Arsenal U21 - U21 Bolton, Chelsea - Reading and Tottenham -. WBA This is a more beautiful place on the heights of London.
    Thank you - that is priceless!
  • Sponsored links:


  • great moment defending too yesterday
  • RedPanda said:

    This has been posted before on here, but always worth another watch.

    Wow! 'Ave it!
  • Bargain of the centuary.

    Post of the day!
  • Yann was wearing gloves! I've never seen him do that here, but perhaps it was a cold day as the rest of his team seem to be wearing them as well.
  • purdis said:

    RedPanda said:

    This has been posted before on here, but always worth another watch.

    Wow! 'Ave it!
    I remember someone posting a link of that after Ibrahimovic's overhead kick against England, and naturally reaching the conclusions that Kermo's was far, far better.

    With his weaker foot as well!
  • Mr Happy.....which leads me back to my opening point about Yann being one of THE most gifted strikers, technically, ever to grace Floyd Road.
    Let's enjoy it as long as we can.
    Btw, I was a huge fan of Andy Hunt (spoke to him on his Belize blog some years back).
    Andy was another fine header of a ball - his timing, like Yann's made the header often look effortless.
  • Lovely comments on that French forum.

    It's testament to Powell's man management that he has helped Yann maximise his special talents. Even taking out the infamous penalty, it does not seem that Yann did anything particularly stand-out while he was there. I guess the flashes of talent must have been there for Powell to want to bring him to us, but none the less Leicester weren't that bothered about losing him.

    It just seemed destined to work here though, with pretty much his first touch being a goal. Now he is scoring goals, play-making, working his knackers off, leaving defenders battered and bruised and all while putting in at least a 7 or 8 out of 10 performance pretty much every week.

    It sounds ridiculous to compare a Championship player to one of the best players to ever play in England, but calling him our Cantona is not as outlandish as it sounds. He really is a talismanic player and I think the fact he has saved his best form of the season for the last few of weeks has had as much to do with our strong finish as Hughes did. I think he could do a job in the Premier League, albeit probably with a reduced goals return.

    Imagine how good he could have been if he hadn't spent the first part of his career playing catch-up for the time lost as a teenager.

    Yann, je t'aime.
  • At Leicester I think it was more than just the penalty miss - as a forward he scored one goal for the club and it seems took some time to settle in English football.
  • purdis said:

    Mr Happy.....which leads me back to my opening point about Yann being one of THE most gifted strikers, technically, ever to grace Floyd Road.
    Let's enjoy it as long as we can.

    100% in agreement. I already worry about how much I'm going to miss him when he does eventually leave (or, hopefully, retire here)!

  • purdis said:

    http://www.passion-sdr.com/t11100p500-yann-kermorgant
    What the French think!
    Check out Yann Kermogant Overhead Kick on You Tube (not sure how to cut and paste the link) but that shows what he can do!

    Is that the French version of Reims of Verse?
Sign In or Register to comment.