Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lions Tour to Australia

Comments

• Options
    Billy Twelvetrees called up...

• Options
    Decent game this one
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Decent game this one

A good workout given by NSW (I can't spell Warratahs) .. the Lions team today will probably send 11 or 12 to next weeks' first test starters .. our outside defence still looks vulnerable, fast wingers will cause us a problem if/when the ball is moved quickly. In any case, the lions could pick from 28 or 29 players with no discernible difference in quality
    The Lions have developed a fluid passing game much more quickly than I thought was possible. The speed they are getting to and moving the ball from the breakdown is also very impressive. It just shows what confidence and faith in your teammates can achieve.
    Most of those who turn out against the Canberra Brumbies on Tuesday will not start next Saturday.
    Whatever, the Aussies will as always put out a decent & committed side and the three match series should be interesting and exciting
  • Options
    Christian Wade and Brad Barritt called up.

Not having much luck with the injuries but good game today.
  • Options
    Heading to Brisbane tomorrow night! Couldn't get my hands on a ticket for the test though. :-(
  • Options
    fast wingers will cause us a problem if/when the ball is moved quickly.

That is the way Australia play - counter attack quickly with the ball in hand. I'm not convinced that they've got much of a pack though and that's where the Lions are man for man much stronger.
  • Options

Heading to Brisbane tomorrow night! Couldn't get my hands on a ticket for the test though. :-(

Brother in law lives in Melbourne, got tickets for the Sidney Test @ aus $ 1500, includes flight and two nights.
    Not cheap
  • Options
    Canberra win on merit. The Lions 2nd string looked weak and 'not together' against one of the top Super Southern sides. Only Kearney really enhanced his selection prospects for the test side. Shane Williams, what t f was all that about ?
  • Options
    pretty boring game imo. like watching a big sam team with all the kicking and free kicks. brumbies had some great tacklers in the middle.
  • Options
    Shane Williams was a one off - with a couple of injuries to the wings he was/is playing in Japan so he was "local"and was called up for this game only. It saves throwing a starter for Saturday in and risking him getting injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We'll still whitewash the aussies, and after today's results the odds will have improved!
  • Options
    Meanwhile the Aussies have called up Steve Walsh to help them...

Last seen in the UK refereeing the Wales-England 6N match.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see if his refereeing of the Welsh front row changes when they're not playing England
  • Options
    IMO, little to learn from this one and with all the call-ups and resting of players, a shame but no surprise that Brumbies edged it. It was largely "up yer jumper" stuff and relying on the boot.

Looking forward to the first test proper, and still feel the Lions first XV will FI the business, especially given expected conditions.
  • Options
    Team for the first Lions Test:

15-Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), 14-Alex Cuthbert (Wales), 13-Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland), 12-Jonathan Davies (Wales), 11-George North (Wales), 10-Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), 9-Mike Phillips (Wales), 8-Jamie Heaslip (Ireland), 7-Sam Warburton (Wales, captain), 6-Tom Croft (England), 5-Paul O'Connell (Ireland), 4-Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), 3-Adam Jones (Wales), 2-Tom Youngs (England), 1-Alex Corbisiero (England).

Replacements - 16-Richard Hibbard (Wales), 17-Mako Vunipola (England), 18-Dan Cole (England), 19-Geoff Parling (England), 20-Dan Lydiate (Wales), 21-Ben Youngs (England), 22-Owen Farrell (England), 23-Sean Maitland (Scotland).

Well done to Alex Corbisiero considering he wasn't in the original tour squad. Croft and Heaslip in the back row like a bit of space and are good with the ball in hand. Croft has played very well so far in warm up matches.

I'm not so sure about Jonathan Davies at inside centre though - but no Manu Tuilagi or Jamie Roberts somewhat forces that choice.
  • Options
    Five forwards named on the subs bench against three backs and no cover at centre if Driscoll or Davies get injured. Maitland can cover at FB/wing though.
  • Options
    Gat's pretty much picked the best XV available, but still not convinced by Cuthbert's performances going forward, doesn't seem to have a turn of pace and looks to be sporting more tape than a badly wrapped christmas present. Would prefer an out and out pacy winger, but Cuthbert's good defence has already been shown to save tries at key moments in the warm-up games.

Happy enough with centres, and you've always got Farrell who can step in at inside centre and do a job, even if he's not the most physical.

Up front, shame for Vunipola, but you kow the Aussies were all set to target him in the set-piece. Think we'll miss him a bit in the loose, but fair play to Corbisiero and think he'll do well.

Roll on Saturday!
  • Options
    Cuthbert is a default choice - possibly Zebo could have played but the other contenders - Bowe etc are injured.

Vunipola or Corbs - I'd always go go for the latter, technically he's a better scrummager, even if he wasn't in the original squad.
  • Options
    The aussie team:

B Barnes (NSW Waratahs); I Folau (NSW Waratahs), A Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs), C Lealiifano (Brumbies), D Ioane (Queensland Reds); J O'Connor (Melbourne Rebels), W Genia (Queensland Reds); B Robinson (NSW Waratahs), S Moore (Brumbies), B Alexander (Brumbies), K Douglas (NSW Waratahs), J Horwill (Queensland Reds, capt), B Mowen (Brumbies), M Hooper (NSW Waratahs), W Palu (NSW Waratahs).

Replacements: S Fainga'a (Queensland Reds), J Slipper (Queensland Reds), S Kepu (NSW Waratahs), R Simmons (Queensland Reds), L Gill (Queensland Reds), N Phipps (Melbourne Rebels), P McCabe (Brumbies), K Beale (Melbourne Rebels).
  • Options
    Well the big day is finally here, and I've just realised I'm going to miss the second half due to a kiddies party.

Someone post up that message from the England cricket team. Quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm not big up on Rugby but I'm going to watch the game anyway. I see that we are 2-1 on , with the bookies. Are we really expected to beat the Aussies that easily ?
  • Options

I'm not big up on Rugby but I'm going to watch the game anyway. I see that we are 2-1 on , with the bookies. Are we really expected to beat the Aussies that easily ?

Every thing i have heard or read has said the same or are talking about a 3-0 white wash.
  • Options
    I hope you all know what I mean when I say,

Come on you Lions.
  • Options

It won't be easy - but the Lions are stronger overall. The Aussies have the slight edge in one or two areas - such as scrum half and man for man I think O'Connor is a more talented player than Sexton at fly half. However a lot depends on what sort of possession he gets from rucks, mauls and scrums. If he's on the back foot then no matter how talented he is then he will have little time be creative. So the Australian back row will have to create that space and time for him and that won't be easy.

A lot also depends on how the breakdown is refereed. The Australian game is based on moving and recycling the ball quickly - so a key battle will be Warburton v Hooper at open side. So it's there that I think the game may be effectively decided.

In terms of the scrums - the Lions scrum will muller the Aussies, so on an Australian put in you can expect the ball to be recycled very quickly so the weakness doesn't undermine the Australian pack and gameplan. Again they'll be looking to move the ball quickly, but I think away from the set piece to the centres and wings rather than keep the ball tight.

The Lions have good kickers in Halfpenny, who can welly the all from distance (and he never misses a tackle at Full back) and if anything happens to him there's Sexton plus Farrell on the bench.

Lastly, the bench - the Lions have greater strength in reserve. After the usual round of subs at about 60 minutes you can expect the Lions to look stronger.
  • Options
    Will Greenwood is such a plum
  • Options

It won't be easy - but the Lions are stronger overall. The Aussies have the slight edge in one or two areas - such as scrum half and man for man I think O'Connor is a more talented player than Sexton at fly half. However a lot depends on what sort of possession he gets from rucks, mauls and scrums. If he's on the back foot then no matter how talented he is then he will have little time be creative. So the Australian back row will have to create that space and time for him and that won't be easy.

A lot also depends on how the breakdown is refereed. The Australian game is based on moving and recycling the ball quickly - so a key battle will be Warburton v Hooper at open side. So it's there that I think the game may be effectively decided.

In terms of the scrums - the Lions scrum will muller the Aussies, so on an Australian put in you can expect the ball to be recycled very quickly so the weakness doesn't undermine the Australian pack and gameplan. Again they'll be looking to move the ball quickly, but I think away from the set piece to the centres and wings rather than keep the ball tight.

The Lions have good kickers in Halfpenny, who can welly the all from distance (and he never misses a tackle at Full back) and if anything happens to him there's Sexton plus Farrell on the bench.

Lastly, the bench - the Lions have greater strength in reserve. After the usual round of subs at about 60 minutes you can expect the Lions to look stronger.
    Cheers. I'l pretend to understand all of that ;-) . I'm going to enjoy the game.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Will Greenwood is such a plum

This. Absolutely this. Total muppet, and always has been.

• Options
    The outcome of this game will depend hugely on the refereeing. That Aussie pack is piss poor, even by their standards, so I expect the ball to be in for about a nanosecond every time they put in, and for them to collapse it at every Lions put in. If the ref penalises them, there's no chance they can cope with the pressure and they'll crumble. If he lets them get away with pansying out and they can move the ball really quickly, they can win it.

Lions 19-15
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2013
    Adam Jones should not be a rugby player, look at the state of him. Brilliant player though.