Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bradley Wright-Phillips

Was Powell ultimately right to let him go out on loan ?
Fair enough in hindsight, it didn't really effect us, but I initially thought we were a much stronger outfit with him, albeit on the bench.

Should we keep him over the summer for next season?
I'm saying yes.

Comments

• I think in BWP and Evina's cases, it'll be up to them if they want to stay and fight for their places. I can see both wanting to leave for first team football though.
  • His future is elsewhere I think, which is a shame because I think all Charlton fans have a soft spot for him in the way he helped us last year.

I wonder if had Brentford won promotion yesterday then Powell would have brought him back to play a part in the last game? We'll never know. Good luck to him though.
  • In short yes! The guy gets you goals. Just a shame he goes missing for 2 months a season!
  • No. Tier three is his level. Not deemed good enough by Powell this season si why expect him to be better next. Evina however is a player still developing and it is daft not to have contracted him, chances are he will walk away for nothing.
  • Ultimately, I'll trust Chris Powell's decision on this. But the stats this season are quite startling. We've averaged twice as many points per game for the matches BWP hasn't been involved in, and we've scored half as many additional goals when he's not been involved. Of course there will be other factors involved in this, but the stats aren't looking good for him. I think he'd be better of in League One where he can be a star, than in the Championship where it looks like he'll be an also ran.

• Brilliant stats those Stig. And confirmed my suspicions that BWP just wasn't quite good enough for this level when he started those ten games earlier in the season. Will always have a place in our hearts for his League 1 heroics - but unfortunately that's his level.
  • Has he scored again tonight?
  • Obika as his replacement done more this season in fewer games
  • Obika as his replacement done more this season in fewer games

A tad harsh. Oboka came in to a side playing well and confident. You can't say the same about the period Bradders was up front. (and he was never 1st choice stricker, playing wide quite a bit.)
  • Yes Powell was right to let him go,the championship is not the league for him league 1 is his level he did well last season with the goals he scored for us but all so missed a crap load as well but for me i would not renew is contact he did a job for us in league one which i feel must Charlton fan will thank him for but its time to move on and find some one much better in my eyes
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2013
    Think it's harsh on Bwp. He was playing in a team back then that wasn't creating chances for the forwards.
  • Nicholas said:

Think it's harsh on Bwp. He was playing in a team back then that wasn't creating chances for the forwards.

The problem was that the chances that were created were not taken by BWP. As harsh as it sounds, his record shows that he is a brilliant 3rd tier striker but below average in the 2nd tier. The question is whether he is able to change that.

• Rizzo said:

Nicholas said:

The problem was that the chances that were created were not taken by BWP. As harsh as it sounds, his record shows that he is a brilliant 3rd tier striker but below average in the 2nd tier. The question is whether he is able to change that.

Difficult (but not impossible) at 28
  • If two perfectly good goals were counted then people would have a different view.
  • I will always have time for BWP but I do think it would be beneficial for both parties to move on
  • If two perfectly good goals were counted then people would have a different view.

And we would still be fighting for the playoffs.

• edited April 2013
    How long do you go on saying well, "if we did this" and "if we did that"? He's doing well in league one. He did not do well in the championship. Talking to my Plymouth mates it was the same story there when they were in the champ. You can theorise about what went wrong for him as much as you like, but sooner or later you've got to go with the facts, and sometimes it is as simple as: he isn't a championship player. I guess he isn't better than Shaun after all.
  • DeeBee said:

I will always have time for BWP but I do think it would be beneficial for both parties to move on

Will get a very generous applause from me when he makes his return back to the Valley in the future. Someone in league 1 will get a quality player for league 1 standard next season. Wish him best for the rest of career.
  • How long do you go on saying well, "if we did this" and "if we did that"? He's doing well in league one. He did not do well in the championship. Talking to my Plymouth mates it was the same story there when they were in the champ. You can theorise about what went wrong for him as much as you like, but sooner or later you've got to go with the facts, and sometimes it is as simple as: he isn't a championship player. I guess he isn't better than Shaun after all.

Shaun is rubbish these days!

Agree with most above - thanks for last year but move on, not good enough if we want to push on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forever a Valley hero.
  • Still could make it a this level I reckon - give him another chance
  • I think we need to think better than BWP, as others have said League One is his level, maximum lower Championship.
    However as a club we will be forever in his debt, without his goals we wouldn't have got out of that godforsaken division.
  • Not given a long enough run of games to even make a fair assessment on him to be honest

The times he came on as a sub I thought he did well. I remember when he played against Leicester, their board was full of praise for the way he played
  • Still dividing opinion at Brentford although more seem with him than against. He's probably had his time at Charlton but wouldn't completely surprise me if he turned in a decent Championship season for someone in the next couple of years.
  • His contract is up, and I can't see him wanting to sign another anyway. He was dropped this season, and is unlikely to be a regular in the team next year.

Maybe it's unfair, but he looks like the sort of player you buy to get promoted from L1, but who struggles at a higher level.
  • He's a L1 player. He has too many periods of struggle and barren patches and he wastes too many chances. Put him in a decent team in L1 and he'll miss half his one-on-ones but he'll stick a couple away. At Championship level you can't afford that luxury. He does go through phases where his confidence is up and he takes a higher number of chances but they are all too brief. I like him a lot and I'll never buy into that 'lazy' claim that's often aimed at him. He tries his heart out for us, he's just a little too wasteful in front of goal for a team like us who can lurch between play-off and relegation form based on chances taken
  • Now that is the perfect summing up.

This
  • Garrymanilow summed it up but I will always have a soft spot for Bradders for what he did for us last season