Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Baker

Comments

• McBobbin said:
    Surely as a football fan he'll know all about the association with race and apes. I don't believe he's racist in any way, but my god, he needs to hold up his hands and say he deserved to be sacked for that moment of idiocy
    He has on James O'Brien's LBC show this morning.
    Fair play
  • It'd be 15 years inside if someone here tweeted a pic like that pertaining to the Thai Royal Family, celebrity or not!

You could even be jailed for sharing or liking it!

Ridiculous laws but we have to be carful what we say about the Royals over here so it's better to keep your mouth shut.

As for Danny, just a bit foolish but we've all acted without thinking properly before now, I'm sure. He'll end up with a radio gig somewhere else and will probably be replaced on the BBPC by someone that fits the preferred mould.
  • stonemuse said:
    he's just saying that because he looks like the woman in the photo
  • A few people on this thread who are sooo quick to label people as racist for having a different view on the EU are falling over themselves to jump to Bakers defence. Have a word with yourselves. 
    Only in your head has any of this happened. Have a word with yourself.
  • Stig said:
    If Baker's tweet is so outrageous, then heads need to roll at The Birmingham Mail and any other paper cavalier enough to publish it. Of course, nobody has suggested that until now, so I can only presume that the tweet is fine in and of itself and everyone is happy to play the man rather than the ball. I find the whole thing pathetic, and as a committed anti-racist believe that stupid over reactions like this only prove to be counter productive.
    I don't agree. Reporting facts as a media organisation in a country with a free press doesn't mean you endorse the views or actions you are reporting on - Especially if there's a legitimate public interest, as in this case. Indeed, that's their job. It would be very scary were this not the case, as in some countries.
    There's a world of difference between reporting facts and wholesale copying. If that tweet was too dangerous to be sent by a man who happened to work for a media organization, it's too dangerous to be published by a media organization.
  • Stig said:
    Stig said:
    If Baker's tweet is so outrageous, then heads need to roll at The Birmingham Mail and any other paper cavalier enough to publish it. Of course, nobody has suggested that until now, so I can only presume that the tweet is fine in and of itself and everyone is happy to play the man rather than the ball. I find the whole thing pathetic, and as a committed anti-racist believe that stupid over reactions like this only prove to be counter productive.
    I don't agree. Reporting facts as a media organisation in a country with a free press doesn't mean you endorse the views or actions you are reporting on - Especially if there's a legitimate public interest, as in this case. Indeed, that's their job. It would be very scary were this not the case, as in some countries.
    There's a world of difference between reporting facts and wholesale copying. If that tweet was too dangerous to be sent by a man who happened to work for a media organization, it's too dangerous to be published by a media organization.

Dangerous?
  • Stig said:
    Stig said:
    Not sure what you mean by the word dangerous? Seems to me that the Birmingham Mail was just reporting the facts, which was my point.
  • edited May 2019
    I’m erring on the side of thinking he’s not a racist, however, it was highly insulting to the couple and their new child.......which I find to be totally unacceptable.
    A cheap and cruel shot for which he has been suitably punished.
    Not playing “The Royalist” card here, just think it was a nasty, spiteful unnecessary thing to do to anyone and a person in his position should really know better and act with some respect......be they Royals or Joe public.

• Sponsored links:

• So many snowflakes demanding that they do and say and tweet whatever they want and not face any consequences whatsoever 
  • Dangerous, as in potentially harmful, as in might hurt someone's feelings. If that tweet is so offensive it should be nowhere near a major regional newspaper.
  • So a vastly experienced media professional can't see that the tweet was potentially going to cause a huge fuss?
    I don't know if he's racist but he's been around long enough to know this is just plain wrong and offensive.
    I can't think anyone would be happy to have their mixed parentage child compared to a monkey by someone they don't know.
    It's one of the oldest racist tropes there is.
    And then afterwards his weasel worded 'apology' didn't really make things any better.
    He needs to think hard about this.

• @Lincsaddick - I will take you up on your LOL on my post. Are you suggesting that Danny Baker is a racist, and that he tweeted that picture as a demonstration of that racism?   
    you'll take me up ? .. I know not if Baker is a racist .. what I believe is that he is a jumped up twerp who thinks he's funny and amusing, talents that many on here also attribute to him. They are of course entitled to their view.
    His tweet whether or not racist or merely intended just as a joke at the expense of the royal family is a good example of his arrogance bordering on idiocy.
     I think he's as funny as a kick in the bollocks (if I were on the receiving end) and as amusing as a wet day in Dungeness, i.e. I cannot stand sight nor sound of the geezer .. does that answer your query adequately ?
  • Don't forget to pay your licence fee, folks.
  • "the BBC platforms racist bigots every week" what utter bollox
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    The BBC platforms racists, bigots and dangerous far-right figureheads every week on its topical news programmes and political debates. Then it sacks Baker for what's clearly a deeply stupid but unintentionally malicious tweet. Absolute shambles of an organisation. 
    As an employee or free lancer for the BBC he has to keep to the rules they have.
    If he breaches them he invites being sacked. Simple really.
  • shine166 said:
    How ? You've just skipped past 7 pages of it to post the link :)
    life's too short ((:>)
  • Carter said:
    Danny Baker is not a racist, I wasn't aware Megan Markle was mixed race, even then what gets me with this sort of thing is not him tweeting the picture it's the speed and velocity people make their mind up about things said in innocence and add a connotation to it. That's searching out something that isn't there and makes a mockery of any sort of progression regarding diversity and making the world a better place. 

Danny Baker is a south London boy born and bred who has made a very successful career in the media. Someone doesn't do that or be as well thought of as he is (maybe not by every member of the British public but his track record speaks for itself even if personal taste is sparked for a minute) if they harbour 1970s views on race. 

When I saw the picture he tweeted, having been told it had been taken down and he had apologised, I didnt immediately spring to the thought that he was in any way making a crass racial jibe at anyone not did I find it particularly funny with the caption but I definitely didnt equate it to him being a racist 

The picture on it's own is amusing because it's a monkey in a suit holding hands with 2 people, with the caption it's one of those things I would scroll past without giving it a glance on a newsfeed. 

This isn't throwing bananas at black footballers, it isn't sieg heiling, it isn't covert racism, it isn't overt racism, it isn't prejudice and I understand fully him saying he didnt see it as unacceptable because he doesn't have a diseased mind 
    Would it surprise you if I rolled my eyes ... ?
  • Explain this then Baker

Humorous post of the year winner .. so far ((:>)
  • Very ill-judged by DB of course, but the BBC's reaction is predictably over the top. They are so far up the arse of the royal family.
  • 24 Red said:
    Very ill-judged by DB of course, but the BBC's reaction is predictably over the top. They are so far up the arse of the royal family.
    Nobody, be they Royals or Joe Public, deserve to be ridiculed in such a spiteful thoughtless fashion.
    He should know better.