Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Baker

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    So a football fan calls a black player a monkey and he is banned for life---- Baker tweets a  pic showing the Royal baby as a monkey and he gets defended ?

Very strange parameters placed on this "racism" thingy
    It has been explained multiple times, I just don’t think some of you want to listen. 

The BBC’s decision is spineless and pathetic. 

he must have known there was a very good chance of this outcome when he hit send. 
    No. That’s exactly the point. He didn’t see the connection. He saw NO connotations. That’s why he had no problem hitting send. 

Danny finds monkeys dressed as people inherently funny. He saw it as an image representing posh people. He’s explained that. 

It’s amazing to me how you’re happy to wholeheartedly believe ambiguous subtext, but entirely reject explanation. Why? Why is that? Why do you want to believe the negative and throw away the alternative? 
      Mate. If you look hard enough you can find an innocent explanation for anything.
    I don't think he's racist. I've listened to him for years and saw him live last year.
     This tweet was stupidly Ill judged. The connotations were immediate.
    He's certainly not stupid. But come on. With the amount of followers he's got surely he should have had a little pause for thought before churning that out 
    I take you point, but at worst its naive.
    Some no mark, somewhere will always get offended directly or on behalf of others by something, its the way of the snowies, if we all paused for thought everything that we write on social, in case it offended someone, then nothing would get posted anywhere.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can I just check that all those offended by this are Royalists?

Neither a royalist nor offended but still amazed that a supposedly clever guy couldn't see what was so blindingly obvious about that picture and that caption.
    Maybe he doesn't make the instant cognitive connection as he's not racist and in the moment he tweeted it didn't see any issue.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    He chose the picture, he added the caption and he posted the tweet.
    He did not have to do any of these three things but he did all of them, Goodness knows why but just goes to show he is not as clever as he and his blinkered followers think he is. 
     Looking forward to not having to re tune my radio from 5Live to Radio2 until 10am now on a Saturday morning.
    Words fail me. Honestly. You may not like the guy but his radio show was pure class. And really funny. He coaxed the people who phoned in to tell stories about the obscure topics he had raised to tell some really funny tales. As I said earlier, I would often be laughing out loud at some of the stuff going on. 

Dislike him as a person if your politics are that way inclined but to say he was a rubbish radio host is just unbelievable
    A rather over the top reaction may I say? Dislike him as a person if your politics are that way inclined? What the hell does that mean? Where did I say he was a rubbish radio host? I will now though but it is my opinion. 
    I've listened too. It's on in my car when I've finished my Park Run. I do not like his style of broadcasting and never have. He gets people on the phone yes, he gives them a few seconds and then interrupts with his own story. He's always done it. He can't shut up. He doesn't broadcast, he preaches.  No coincidence he's friends with Chris Evans. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    So a football fan calls a black player a monkey and he is banned for life---- Baker tweets a  pic showing the Royal baby as a monkey and he gets defended ?

It has been explained multiple times, I just don’t think some of you want to listen. 

he must have known there was a very good chance of this outcome when he hit send. 
    No. That’s exactly the point. He didn’t see the connection. He saw NO connotations. That’s why he had no problem hitting send. 

Danny finds monkeys dressed as people inherently funny. He saw it as an image representing posh people. He’s explained that. 

It’s amazing to me how you’re happy to wholeheartedly believe ambiguous subtext, but entirely reject explanation. Why? Why is that? Why do you want to believe the negative and throw away the alternative? 
    Sorry but Danny Baker is intelligent and aware enough of the ridiculous society we live in,  that tweeting a picture of a chimp as the baby of a well documented mixed race mother will be called out by some as racist. If he didn't realise that he's an idiot.

But is it racist?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Neither a royalist nor offended but still amazed that a supposedly clever guy couldn't see what was so blindingly obvious about that picture and that caption.
    Maybe he doesn't make the instant cognitive connection as he's not racist and in the moment he tweeted it didn't see any issue.

The majority of people are not racist but can still see the connection.
  • Options
    Whether intentionally racist or not, takes some doing to post something as blatantly idiotic and racist as that. Got what he deserved. Millwall fan in racist Tweet scandal.. Shock! 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Rizzo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I must admit that I didn't ... just thought it was an unfunny tweet.

Never crossed my mind that it could be considered as racist. 
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Mate. If you look hard enough you can find an innocent explanation for anything.
    I don't think he's racist. I've listened to him for years and saw him live last year.
    He's certainly not stupid. But come on. With the amount of followers he's got surely he should have had a little pause for thought before churning that out 
    Some no mark, somewhere will always get offended directly or on behalf of others by something, its the way of the snowies, if we all paused for thought everything that we write on social, in case it offended someone, then nothing would get posted anywhere.
      No disrespect mate, but he has over half a million followers, many snowflakes amongst them no doubt.
    If it was me or you sending it you wouldn't hear a peep.

It comes with the territory these days.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Sorry but Danny Baker is intelligent and aware enough of the ridiculous society we live in,  that tweeting a picture of a chimp as the baby of a well documented mixed race mother will be called out by some as racist. If he didn't realise that he's an idiot.

But is it racist?
    The image and the caption is, without doubt. For the record I do not believe it was posted with any racist intention at all. None. I accept that he didn't see any racist context. However it was thoroughly stupid and I'm glad the big mouth, egotistical, obsequious big head has had some long overdue comeuppance.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

No disrespect mate, but he has over half a million followers, many snowflakes amongst them no doubt.

That is simply untrue. 
  • Options
    I saw the tweet and scrolled on. I didn’t find it that amusing or worthy of any more attention, I genuinely did not make the link. When I then saw the outrage I understood how it is seen as offensive. I enjoy listening to Danny Baker and am seeing his show soon. Maybe this clouds my judgement but do I think he posted it because he is a racist? No, absolutely not.  It was careless to not consider the response but I guess if you he didn’t make the link then you don’t consider that others will either.
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Whether intentionally racist or not, takes some doing to post something as blatantly idiotic and racist as that. Got what he deserved. Millwall fan in racist Tweet scandal.. Shock! 
    It's not as simple as that. Someone may be offended so don't say/post it? There's only one question - is it racist? 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Rizzo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

But the fact may be he does not have that immediate connection in the moment it takes to tweet...then once he realises the perceived connotations deletes it. 

It was a momentary tweet rather than a pre thought out article or blog. 

Careless and not thought through thoroughly but that is likely the case for 99% of tweets and social media posts.

• Options
    Riviera said:
    Greenie said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

That is simply untrue. 
     What? You think of lose my job if I posted that? I can assure you I wouldn't.
  • Options
    *I'd
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Rizzo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

But the fact may be he does not have that immediate connection in the moment it takes to tweet...then once he realises the perceived connotations deletes it. 

It was a momentary tweet rather than a pre thought out article or blog. 

Careless and not thought through thoroughly but that is likely the case for 99% of tweets and social media posts.

My suspicion is that it wasn't done to be intentionally racist, but that's just it, suspicion just like every one of us here. None of us know for sure what the real intentions were of it, only Baker knows. Let's assume it wasn't done to be intentionally racist, I still don't understand what the joke is. Ignoring that further still it's just monumentally stupid to post it to the world. Even more so if you are a public figure. No sympathy for anyone for any sort of backlash or consequences after that. By now people should know that things posted could perhaps cause this sort of reaction.

• Options
    Did Baker go to the same school as Hennessy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

But is it racist?
    The answer to that question depends on the intention of the person posting it. In this instance, I believe Baker when he says that the racist connotations didn't cross his mind.  There may be someone else with previous form that I might think differently about had they posted it.
  • Options

A BBC spokesperson said: "This was a serious error of judgement."

The 61-year-old presented a weekend show on the network.

The corporation added Baker's tweet "goes against the values we as a station aim to embody.

"Danny's a brilliant broadcaster but will no longer be presenting a weekly show with us."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

• Options
    "Brilliant Broadcaster" leave it out BBC. 
  • Options
    I thinks it's a shame that Danny won t be around for a while now as I think he's a very talented broadcaster and for the mainpart I identify with him very closely....it's obvious he wasn't thinking clearly when he posted this ..sic attention seeking Twitter users ...I think we should accept his apologies and move on ...but I am afraid that's it for him now i think 
  • Options
    Its pretty obvious that anyone with a high media profile has to think about how any social media comments they make, are going to be interpreted. While DB may not of made this tweet with any thoughts of race in mind it , Ive no doubt it would be retweeted gleefully by those who use it to spread racism. 
  • Options
    I wonder if Danny Baker wanted to go out in a blaze of glory because he said just a few years ago he wanted to quit around the 60 mark and go to America ?

I'm not a Royalist and I believe in the Darwin theory that we are a first cousin to the apes.
    BUT if he had posted that picture when Kate and William had their baby it would of hit the Royal Privilege look at me like animals in a zoo and not Megan and Harry which has turned into a banana skin for Baker because of Megan's mixed race heritage.

It sounds like Danny is burning his bridges with more tweets and there will be no way back at the BBC this time. (He got sacked last time when he gave the address of a ref  he didn't like)

I find it interesting to read the polar opposite views on this thread. 

For me it Red sauce 70% of the time.