Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kev Davies given the boot at Bolton and no Testimonial!

So my old mate Kev has been given the boot at Bolton and as his contract ends '5 days' before he is due to complete 10 years with the club he won't qualify for a testimonial. I think that this is disgraceful. he has stayed with the club through a lot of crap and has been an excellent servant. he's always been a decent lad. i knew him when he was at Chesterfield, Southhampton and Blackburn. He's a good lad and i feel that Bolton have short changed him here. Don't know if there is more to it, but if we pushed someone out the door after that length of service, i'd be disgusted with our club. Thoughts?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21942886

Comments

• Spoke to a Chesterfield fan today , hopes he will rejoin them in the Summer, they love him.
  • He got his first move from Chesterfield to Southampton after scoring a hat trick against Bolton (i think) in the FA Cup. It quadrupled his wages and for a 19 year old it was heady heights. A year or so later his wages were quadrupled again in a move to Blackburn. Despite his millionaires assetts Kev continued to hang with his old mates who were all plasterers, electricians and regular blokes that like a pint or four on a saturday night. His best cheesiest pick up whilst in a club, was to ask two models if they'd like to come back to his house for a 'pool party'. Shamefully they obliged. Still he was a top lad and very down to earth. Grew up in a very working class part of Sheffield and i believe is a Blade. The best aspect was that his mates never let him get ahead of himself and in the pubs he bought a round like everyone else and didn't lord it up. Not seen him for many years now, but doubt he's changed much.
  • What do the Bolton fans make of it?
  • edited April 2013
    Club say they're happy to hold a testimonial...........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22013641
  • Its shoddy from the club but let's be honest here, the bloke has been playing in the Premier League for 15 years I seriously doubt he is anything less than a multi millionaire.

This is not the 80's/90's where good pros like Steve Gritt needed a Testimonial because they earned average money in a short career.

For me no Premiership player should have a Testimonial unless its for charity these days, different in the lower leagues obviously.
  • Been going on for ages Durham and the chairman gartside had a bust up live On air 2 weeks ago

Gartside said he can have a testimonial and that the ten year rule is bs

The player must ask for a testimonial though it can't just be given and no one had requested it
  • edited April 2013
    He's a dirty git who's all elbows. Most yellow carded player in the history of the premier league.
  • Its shoddy from the club but let's be honest here, the bloke has been playing in the Premier League for 15 years I seriously doubt he is anything less than a multi millionaire.

This is not the 80's/90's where good pros like Steve Gritt needed a Testimonial because they earned average money in a short career.

For me no Premiership player should have a Testimonial unless its for charity these days, different in the lower leagues obviously.

This.
  • All the money was going to a charity
  • Don't know if there is more to it, but if we pushed someone out the door after that length of service, i'd be disgusted with our club. Thoughts?

he's hardly being pushed out the door. he's seeing out a contract, the length of which he was fully aware of when he signed it
  • Sponsored links:

• Gartside also alleged In the talk sport interview Kevin had been talking to other clubs prior to being informed by freedman that no contract was on offer or the one that was aired more on the coaching youth development side not playing

2sides to this coin I reckon

Both gartside and Davies are not fully explaining the postition clear
  • Poor old Kev he probably ain't got a pot to piss in! Ex prem players don't need a testimonial!
  • Greenie said:

Poor old Kev he probably ain't got a pot to piss in! Ex prem players don't need a testimonial!

All money goes to charity!!!!!!!!
  • And the charities that Bolton were championing like the Bolton kiddie ward

It's not like the ex pro last 150k Matches of the past
  • As if he needs a testimonial greedy sod , typical selfish premiership player
  • Remember reading G Nevs testimonial made a ridiculous amount of money for charity.
  • What a non story.
  • I think there is a story there somewhere but I don't think it's the woe is me poor kev Davies story

Gartside and Durham banged it out and although I thought gartside at times was disrespectful to Kevin Davies with some comments

What he said certainly made sense and explained the situation adequately and was not the way Durham portrayed it

Since then Durham won't speak about gartside other than the regular heads gone appearance and saying his time will come to speak

But it seems twitter was the medium used in the ongoing discussion
  • if there is a testimonial for him, surely the money made should go to charity.
  • He got his first move from Chesterfield to Southampton after scoring a hat trick against Bolton (i think) in the FA Cup. It quadrupled his wages and for a 19 year old it was heady heights. A year or so later his wages were quadrupled again in a move to Blackburn. Despite his millionaires assetts Kev continued to hang with his old mates who were all plasterers, electricians and regular blokes that like a pint or four on a saturday night. His best cheesiest pick up whilst in a club, was to ask two models if they'd like to come back to his house for a 'pool party'. Shamefully they obliged. Still he was a top lad and very down to earth. Grew up in a very working class part of Sheffield and i believe is a Blade. The best aspect was that his mates never let him get ahead of himself and in the pubs he bought a round like everyone else and didn't lord it up. Not seen him for many years now, but doubt he's changed much.

Heh. Top player, I hope his testimonial goes to a worthy cause.

• Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

if there is a testimonial for him, surely the money made should go to charity.

Not sure if that's been mentioned on this thread?

I'd have him here for a season.
  • It's not just about money, it's honouring a player for exceptional service. Maybe as a compromise they could donate the money to a worthy cause.
  • He can do sign language as his fathers deaf. Not a lot of people know that.
  • Is that why you're called stop shouting?

:-)
  • Greenie said:

Poor old Kev he probably ain't got a pot to piss in! Ex prem players don't need a testimonial!

Really? where does it say that?
  • The Sun (yes i know) reporting that he's going to sign for Sheffield Wednesday
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Really? where does it say that?
    Ah the old pulling your leg cover up
  • I really hope all the proceeds go to charity
  • I really hope all the proceeds go to charity

Great idea , can't believe its not been suggested before.

• He can do sign language as his fathers deaf. Not a lot of people know that.

Half past ten