Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London exhibition and restaurant recommendations, please

Mr W and myself are coming down from Glasgow to the sponsors' dinner next Thu, and staying on for the match on Sat. Just looking at some options for how to spend Friday - might make the most of it and have a "touristy day" in town. Has anyone got any special recommendations for any good exhibitions and central restaurants for a leisurely lunch? I'm thinking about the Man Ray photography exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, and perhaps lunch at the restaurant there, but would welcome any other suggestions. Something with a bit of class but not silly prices preferred!

Comments

• Roy Lichtenstein retrospective is on but you may struggle for tickets.

tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/exhibition/lichtenstein

• Mr W and myself are coming down from Glasgow to the sponsors' dinner next Thu, and staying on for the match on Sat. Just looking at some options for how to spend Friday - might make the most of it and have a "touristy day" in town. Has anyone got any special recommendations for any good exhibitions and central restaurants for a leisurely lunch? I'm thinking about the Man Ray photography exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, and perhaps lunch at the restaurant there, but would welcome any other suggestions. Something with a bit of class but not silly prices preferred!

National Portrait Gallery is very good, even the free bits. Went there recently and then had a wagamamas... depends what food you fancy!
  • Man Ray would be good and depending on your wider tastes...Bowie is on at the V&A, Becoming Picasso at the Courtauld Gallery at Somerset House or, a little different, the Hayward Gallery on the South Bank has the Light Show.

Of course, you could always stay local...the Maritime has Sebastiao Salgado's Genesis.

If you're in the West End, I have always been impressed with the food, service and the history/building at Kettners (Romily Street, just behind Shaftesbury Ave).

http://www.kettners.com/dining/

Enjoy yourselves
  • Roy Lichtenstein retrospective is on but you may struggle for tickets.

tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/exhibition/lichtenstein

Im a Tate member, so free and auto entry (for 2) if you really want to go but get stuck for tickets
  • Thanks everyone, and especially Shine - very kind! Will discuss with Mr W and decide...
  • Thanks everyone, and especially Shine - very kind! Will discuss with Mr W and decide...

No worries, view from Tate bar is not too shabby.. even in this winter shot
  • Kettners is on tastecard 50% off these days as well.
  • Trophy cabinet at the Valley, Hungry Horse on Shooters Hill.

• A pal told me Hakkasan's set menu for lunch is very good and not totally outrageous to their normal prices.
  • Pie & Mash Greenwich
  • Sponsored links:

• V&A has best range of different food themes I know from curry to pasta to veggie and traditional English roast dinners. Excellent quality and fair prices. Ignore modern seating area and go past servery and you find yourself in an amazing restaurant of stained glass windows and vaulted ceiling. Gets busy in peak periods though. I never fancied the V&A before going with the family last year I thought it was all about frocks and stuff, but it's much more than that. Seeing the most amazing gold and silver and glassware at close quarters is a knockout. Thoroughly recommend.
  • On the opposite bank from the Tate Modern, across the Millennium footbridge, is the Northbank Restaurant which I was quite impressed with and it's had good reviews. Also right on the river with good views. At One Paul's Walk EC4V 3QH. northbankrestaurant.com/ and was bookable through toptable.co.uk last time I used it.
  • Portrait gallery has really nice restaurant. And also the savoy grill is very nice and surprisingly you can get good theatre/meal offers.
  • Weegie...just had an email at work from bookatable.com offering a 3 course lunch or dinner at Kettners for £20. Looks like it's from a set menu, but can't say I've ever had a bad time there :-)

http://www.bookatable.com/uk/110054/kettners?lcid=318&pid=50330&utm_source=Kettnersnormalbuttonstardeal&utm_medium=email&utm_content=TopButton&utm_campaign=NewStarDeals393London

• If you are at the National Portrait Gallery potter over to Wahaca in C Garden. Fab Mexican street food and refreshing absence of tourists as it's in the basement so tends to put them off. Best grub in that area and great value. The gallery's restaurant is very average and cramped. OK for a coffee but not a nice lunch.
  • If you're in town the Criterion at Picadilly Circus or l'Escargot nearby in soho are excellent options. Reasonably priced lunch menus in classy surroundings: Criterion being the more spectacular, Escargot more elegant.
  • Maze Grill in Grosvenor Square comes highly recommended - even though its Gordon Ramsey, if you stick to the Lunch menu then its surpringly affordable.
    Just around the back of Oxford Street, Marble Arch end.