Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Avocado

love or hate?

I could eat them til the cows come home, especially in Guacamole (home made of course) - but had them hot in some kind of Vietnamese spring roll & bleeurgh - not so much.

Anyway let's hear it for the avocado.....I can't believe there is anyone out there that doesn't like this lardy delight.

Comments

• Options
    Love.

Had one with brown shrimps last eek. Lovely.
  • Options
    How about an Avocado bathroom suite. Does that count. Very 70's.
  • Options
    Love avocado
  • Options
    In the United Kingdom, the avocado became widely available in the 1960s when it was introduced by Marks and Spencer under the name 'avocado pear'. However, many customers tried to use it as a dessert ingredient like other pears (e.g. with custard), and complained to the store that it was inedible. As a result, Marks and Spencer dropped the word 'pear' and labelled it simply 'avocado'
  • Options
    Hate it urgggghhh
  • Options
    Not keen, usually rock hard or like mush, with a tiny window when they are ready to eat.
  • Options
    Love.
  • Options
    Try a few bits of avocado in a fresh fruit salad. Lovely.
    Agree about the tiny window, and I have never got the hang of peeling the buggers.
  • Options
    Love guacamole but not a fan of avocado.

Hope that doesnt sound too weird considering they are the same thing
  • Options

Not keen, usually rock hard or like mush, with a tiny window when they are ready to eat.

Agree but like guacamole. Similarly goes brown 17.5 seconds after opening

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    kimbo said:

Lemon is the secret to keeping them green.

• Options
    nice ,, with some strong blue cheese
  • Options
    kimbo said:

I read somewhere that if you make guacamole & put the stone into the mush it stops it going brown - I have usually chucked the stone in the bin by the time I remember this handy tip.
  • Options
    Love
  • Options
    Love it - guacamole and on its own.

Had some really good nachos the other day that had chunks of guacamole mixed in with sour cream rather than the sour cream/guacamole combo.
  • Options
    Love. Fantastic food for keeping fit as well - use it to get a lot of my 'good' fats. Goes cracking with prawns, spring onions and sweet chili sauce.
  • Options
    They do deliver round our way, but I prefer to go to Waitrose in person.
  • Options
    Goes down well with rocket salad, pan fried pancetta or bacon pieces, cherry toms, croutons & dressing.
  • Options
    Love!
  • Options
    Very high in cholesterol. Fact.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it safe to ask if in this case that Avocados are a thinly veiled reference to Margaret Thatcher? Or am I over analysing this?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Pret Chicken and Advocado sandwiches ... doesn't get much better than that.
  • Options

Not fact at all, avocado actually helps lower cholesterol.
  • Options

Not fact at all, avocado actually helps lower cholesterol.
    Eh? Blimmin' quack...

• Options

Sorry, thought this was a thread on a new trial signing from an obscure South American league.

Known for his silky skills, Antonio Avocado scored 3 in 43 appearances for the well known Ecuadorian third division outfit Ingapirca Incas. Although only 4ft 9inches tall and having a club foot, manager Chris Powell feels that the pacey Avocado brings just the right balance of low wages and lack of work permit that the team urgently needs at this stage of the season.
  • Options
    :-D
  • Options
    Love. Full of GOOD fats.
  • Options
    I don't hate them, it's just that there's always something else I'd much prefer. I suppose that makes them the fruit equivalent of Leyton Orient.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Love them. Mexican avocados
    just came into season and we got our first delivery today. They are awesome.

The secret to guacamole is very finely chopped red onion, diced fresh jalapeño peppers (half with seeds half without), lime juice and salt. Bobs your uncle. Never had the problem of it going brown, lime juice will stop that.

I'd recommend adding some apple or radishes. Also puréeing smoked jalepeno and putting a spoon top. Winners.
  • Options
    Love them, but again I agree with the twenty minute window in which they have to be eaten.