Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The £5 pint

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:

and you'll pay about 8 euros for it too in some of Dublins finer establishments.

It would help if most bar staff knew how to pour a pint of Guinness properly.

Wow! I was paying 5 euros in most bars when I went to Dublin a couple of weeks ago - I thought that was bad enough. Glad I never stumbled into one of the finer establishments. :-)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I've tasted ale and its shite. The fact it's room temperature makes me wanna rip my tongue out.

I'm not a massive lover of larger, but ill drink it. Prefer a guiness nowadays.

Draught Guinness in this country is only black lager.
    It's an overpriced rip off.

Go to Ireland and drink the Guinness served from the hand pump - totally different and you'll appreciate that difference.

That's the biggest drinking myth going.

"Guinness tastes better in Ireland". Rubbish. It tastes like Guiness.

Fact is that everything tastes better on holiday. Keo (in Cyprus) is a classic example. As is San Miguel.
  • Options
    In Vietnam right now. I had a beer this afternoon where (in round terms) a pint was 50p - I didn't drink £5 worth!
  • Options
    Can't vouch for Guinness as I've never been to Ireland but San Miguel is a completely different drink in Spain to the crap made over here. Same with Kroenburg and Stella. No myth involved.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Off_it said:

Oggy Red said:

I've tasted ale and its shite. The fact it's room temperature makes me wanna rip my tongue out.

Go to Ireland and drink the Guinness served from the hand pump - totally different and you'll appreciate that difference.

Like bottled Guinness tastes the same as UK draught Guinness, you mean......?

• Options
    2 large Changs while listening to today's game. Wholesale price, which I pay, about 80p a bottle.

Many bars in Patong (Phuket) now charge 2.50 for a small bottle (I charge around a pound in my little guesthouse bar). 4 quid for a jack Daniels and coke in many bars here now.

Just saying that it's not just England where booze inflation is getting out of control.

Cambodia is still very cheap, as is Vietnam if you avoid certain types of bar, the type I usually end up in!

• Options
    Vinnie V. said:

I think it has a lot to do with marketing.

If you make something more expensive people tend to think it is better and more desirable than it actually is. Exactly like designer labelled clothing.

Look at me I'm drinking Perroni.

Also Lager is always served as cold as possible so that you cannot taste how vile it really is.

I'll have a pint of ale please I like to be able to taste what I'm drinking.

I drink Peroni because I like it.
  • Options

Riviera said:

richie8 said:

In our village you can get a pint of Tennants Lager for £2.40

Tennants lager? Where do you live? 1986?
    Probably on the street.
    Live in Scotland.That or McEwans is the standard fare in most pubs.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Vinnie V. said:

If you make something more expensive people tend to think it is better and more desirable than it actually is. Exactly like designer labelled clothing.

Also Lager is always served as cold as possible so that you cannot taste how vile it really is.

Come on mate, you know your not allowed to actually 'like' something!!
  • Options

DanDavis said:

Vinnie V. said:

Come on mate, you know your not allowed to actually 'like' something!!
    Haha yes sorry.... I drink it as I'm an ad-mans dream :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Off_it said:

Oggy Red said:

Like bottled Guinness tastes the same as UK draught Guinness, you mean......?

Bottle conditioned beer and cask conditioned beer are two different products.

Just don't understand why anyone would think that the same stuff in the same stuff in the barrels loses any flavour as it crosses the Irish Channel.
  • Options
    The Italian piss water is currently going down a treat. To be fair, when the alternative is carling, its a no brainier.
  • Options
    Never understood the 'It's served as cold as posaible to hide the taste' argument.

Is that not the case with most wines, ciders, champagne etc? Even soft drinks.
  • Options
    I love a Peroni and I get annoyed when it's served in a regular pint glass. It should be served in a peroni glass... I guess I've been sucked in.
  • Options
    Moretti and Peroni Nastro both made by the same French company. Weirdly the non premium Plain old Peroni tastes like a far more pleasant less fizzy brew.

Was out shopping with the missus on Friday. One of the assistants spotted me mooning around looking miserable and got me a seat and a bottle of Estrella. I was happy as a pig in shite hanging around after that. Simultaneously the cheapest and most expensive beer I've ever had.
  • Options
    Vinnie V. said:

I take it you love a nice warm orange juice with your breakfast?
  • Options
    Landlords have very little say in pricing their beers.

As a landlord you buy your beer from a supplier. If the supplier puts their price up by even a fraction the landlord has to put their prices up to have any hope of actually making money.

And of course everything costs money. To run a viable business (which is what the landlords are trying to do) you need to make as much money as you can. You can't go around under selling your beer because you feel bad for the punters.

Saying that I had a £5 pint of Brooklyn Larger in Angel the other day and it was bloody flat. Furious.
  • Options

Moretti and Peroni Nastro both made by the same French company. Weirdly the non premium Plain old Peroni tastes like a far more pleasant less fizzy brew.

Was out shopping with the missus on Friday. One of the assistants spotted me mooning around looking miserable and got me a seat and a bottle of Estrella. I was happy as a pig in shite hanging around after that. Simultaneously the cheapest and most expensive beer I've ever had.

Free beer!?

Where do you shop!?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Seems as though she tries to put in as many descriptive words as possible. Reads like something I probably wrote for English GCSE!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2013
    CAFCsayer said:

Vinnie V. said:

I'd rather it was cold but it still tastes lovely at room temperature. Lager does not. IMO.
  • Options
    'An unpretentious blend of maritime and plain good taste'

unlike your report then.

I presume they changed the writer of these over the years? Used to be abit more down to earth.

Only price quoted was £6.50 for a wine and gave 4* for drinks, seemed a bit odd.
  • Options

Curb_It said:
    Seems as though she tries to put in as many descriptive words as possible. Reads like something I probably wrote for English GCSE!
    Yes that's exactly what i was thinking. Too flowery. Just get to the details.

• Options
    Vinnie V. said:

CAFCsayer said:

Vinnie V. said:

I'd rather it was cold but it still tastes lovely at room temperature. Lager does not. IMO.
    No, because its supposed to be cold!!!!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    And one from a drinker about the same pub......

Was in there a couple of weeks ago. Despite assurances that they weren't showing the San Marino v England game, they did.
    I'm afraid the Youngs revamp is not to my liking, nor to many of the locals a barman told me. It's lost that old Tavern feel as they've got rid of the old large barrels you could stand around. In fact you can't really stand anywhere, apart from the bar but a third of that has gone too!
    It's gone heavily down the food road, which while understandable these days is still a shame in my book. You can no longer sit and just have a drink at those lovely huge bay windows on the first floor as this is strictly the restaurant area. The locals kicked up a fuss about this so the management converted the 2nd floor offices to a lounge. They call it the Crows Nest and while it is quite pleasant with good views, there is no bar up there. Two flights of stairs carrying drinks every 20 min or so is not much fun.
    The beer was ok, but what they call Youngs these days is simply that- ok.
  • Options
    I paid nearly a fiver for a pint when visiting a pub in London last weekend. Couldn't believe it! That's almost Copenhagen prices!
  • Options
    In the Perth suburbs we are paying around £7 for a pint of gassed up lager or Pilsner. Up in the City it starts at around £7.50 for a pint and if you want to you can pay up to about £9.00 per pint.
    I too love Peroni, but only drink it at home. My beer fridge is full of Prroni Stubbies, bought at £34 for a carton of 24 stubbies.
  • Options
    I never realised Perth was so expensive. How long have you lived there. and this is a really random question but do you have a guest currently on her way to visit you?
  • Options
    So Peroni is deemed to good to be served in Skegness. LOL
  • Options
    Annoyingly it seems that only a few pubs have knocked a penny of a pint, I know it makes no difference but its the principle.