Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The £5 pint

Comments

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

the Founders Arms used to be a cracking pub before the area got 'gentrified' I'm sure it won the standard pub of the year award in the 80s. Had many a good ramrod and special in there. (is it still a young's pub?)

I had my Stag Night in the Founders Arms. In those days you went for a pint with the lads, rather than 3 days in some foreign lands getting pissed and possibly picking up a nasty infection.
    Haven't things moved on for the better !

• Options
    I'm quite partial to a bishops finger but thats another story.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

the Founders Arms used to be a cracking pub before the area got 'gentrified' I'm sure it won the standard pub of the year award in the 80s. Had many a good ramrod and special in there. (is it still a young's pub?)

I had my Stag Night in the Founders Arms. In those days you went for a pint with the lads, rather than 3 days in some foreign lands getting pissed and possibly picking up a nasty infection.
    Haven't things moved on for the better !

Well, ask me now and I'm on the first plane out!!!

(Dirty old b£$%^$d).
  • Options
    In all fairness the pint in question is very near the top end of the price scale
  • Options
    and very near the bottom of the taste scale, budweiser excepted.
  • Options

and very near the bottom of the taste scale, budweiser excepted.

This. And Foster's. Cat's piss on draught, give it back to the Aussies.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Off_it said:

Riviera said:

Off_it said:

It's here.

Had my first £5 pint in a "normal" pub last night, i.e. not a bar/club, etc - just a run of the mill boozer.

£5.17 for a pint of fairly tasteless italian fizzy water (aka Peroni).

I promised myself I would give up pub bozzing as soon as this day came. A sad sad day for all concerned.

You don't often drink in Central London then?
    Stella, Peroni and other non-imported beers masquerading as European Premium Lagers have been £5+ for well over a year in some City and West End pubs.
    No. Where's Central London?
    Inner London is the Inner London boroughs like Greenwich,
    Unless you are an employee of Greenwich and receive outer London weighting whilst the borough tells all and sundry that nelsons column casts a shadow on general Gordon square.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Estrella is a nice pint if you haven't tried- I reccomend. Moretti is nicer than Peroni if you want Italian!

I paid £4.80 for a bottle of Estrella at ME Hotel in Central last week because their draught was off. Then they added on the 60p service charge, so £5.40 for a bottle of shit beer! Ridiculous.

I asked what I got for this 60p service charge and was told it was because they had to take it out the fridge and take the bottle top off. I didn't even get offered a glass. I asked if I came round the bar myself and got a beer out the fridge would I still have to pay the service charge. Yes, because they still have to put it in the fridge. Jesus.
  • Options
    Old fart alert........old fart alert......old fart alert.......

When I started working and drinking in the city, we used to stick £1 in the whip, get 4 pints out of it and still have change left for next time. 1973. Mind you, I probably got paid about £50 a month then.

Old fart all clear.......old fart all clear........old fart all clear.......
  • Options
    The Bull in Chislehurst has been serving over £5 Peroni for years. I stood waiting for my change out of a fiver only to be asked for another 25p haha. Rose Of Denmark is still quite cheap so that good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There have always been certain lagers or types of lagers that are more expensive.

How much of a premium did people pay in the 80's + 90's for that awful shite Hoegaarden?
    Look at how much more some ciders too.
  • Options
    Off subject a bit but up town a couple of weeks ago I paid £14 for two glasses of wine and I noticed that Lager was also £4.95 it's crazy money for a pint no wonder pubs are going out of business.
  • Options
    as a shit, not very often, drinker i always thought Peroni from the bottle tasted better than the stuff from the tap , is there much difference or am i talking shit again
  • Options
    Definitely tastes different, but I don't really like either.

Just seems like expensive Stella to me.
  • Options

Off subject a bit but up town a couple of weeks ago I paid £14 for two glasses of wine and I noticed that Lager was also £4.95 it's crazy money for a pint no wonder pubs are going out of business.

You may as well have bought the bottle.

Ordered two glasses of wine in the Dial Arch in Woolwich... well i didnt the amateur wine drinker did without choosing which bottle, just asked for the sauvignon blanc. 18 quid for two glasses... in Woolwich.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Ordered two glasses of wine in the Dial Arch in Woolwich... well i didnt the amateur wine drinker did without choosing which bottle, just asked for the sauvignon blanc. 18 quid for two glasses... in Woolwich.

Another Youngs pub.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

You will go drinking in the posh part of Woolwich.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Curb_It said:

Another Youngs pub.
    Without Youngs beer.....
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Off_it said:

Curb_It said:

Another Youngs pub.
    Without Youngs beer.....
    Oh it serves Youngs beer - same as they all do still. It's just not made by Youngs anymore.
  • Options

Estrella is a nice pint if you haven't tried- I reccomend. Moretti is nicer than Peroni if you want Italian!

Estrella is excellent
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Cutty Sark pub (in Greenwich!!) is now a Youngs pub (for those of you that are fans, cant work out if you are). Been tarted up, not tried yet.

http://www.cuttysarkse10.co.uk/drinks.php
  • Options
    Was in there during the week, food is pretty decent.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    DanDavis said:

Redskin said:

Peroni - the biggest case of 'The Emperor's new clothes' since Stella.

Some of you are the ad man's dream.

Yeah I can never make my own mind up when it comes to food and drink. Ill just do whatever the adverts tell me.
    Beer snobs are back VG!

Nothing to do with being a 'snob'.

Simply a case of being able to tell the difference between decent beer and chemically derived effluent .
  • Options
    yeah ok
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Redskin said:

DanDavis said:

Redskin said:

Peroni - the biggest case of 'The Emperor's new clothes' since Stella.

Some of you are the ad man's dream.

Yeah I can never make my own mind up when it comes to food and drink. Ill just do whatever the adverts tell me.
    Beer snobs are back VG!

Nothing to do with being a 'snob'.

Simply a case of being able to tell the difference between decent beer and chemically derived effluent .
    You tell 'em, Redskin.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

The Cutty Sark pub (in Greenwich!!) is now a Youngs pub (for those of you that are fans, cant work out if you are). Been tarted up, not tried yet.

http://www.cuttysarkse10.co.uk/drinks.php

Was in there a couple of weeks ago. Despite assurances that they weren't showing the San Marino v England game, they did.
    I'm afraid the Youngs revamp is not to my liking, nor to many of the locals a barman told me. It's lost that old Tavern feel as they've got rid of the old large barrels you could stand around. In fact you can't really stand anywhere, apart from the bar but a third of that has gone too!
    It's gone heavily down the food road, which while understandable these days is still a shame in my book. You can no longer sit and just have a drink at those lovely huge bay windows on the first floor as this is strictly the restaurant area. The locals kicked up a fuss about this so the management converted the 2nd floor offices to a lounge. They call it the Crows Nest and while it is quite pleasant with good views, there is no bar up there. Two flights of stairs carrying drinks every 20 min or so is not much fun.
    The beer was ok, but what they call Youngs these days is simply that- ok.
  • Options
    That's a shame Chirpy - I always like the "Olde Worlde" feel of it in there.

Might have to pop along and have a look when (if?) the weather picks up.
  • Options
    My Local in Chesterfield serves Fosters £2.30 a pint John Smiths Smooth £2.20 and a very decent Caledonian Real Ale at£2.40 a pint!
  • Options
    You mean they pay you £2.20 to drink John Smiths Smooth?
  • Options
    In our village you can get a pint of Tennants Lager for £2.40