Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackheath Rugby

Does anyone here go to watch Blackheath Rugby? Being local to CAFC I would think theres a few who follow both.

Been tempted to catch a game there for a while, can never seem to see any ticket prices on their website. Anyone got any info they could chuck me?

Comments

• Options
    £12 including a programme - it's a good afternoon out.
  • Options
    Yep -- Check kick off time as it does vary // -- nice old Bar area -- you can stand and watch the match with a Pint if you so desire.....u16 get in free too i think + // Give it a whirl
    Sat 13 th Hom Richmond / Sat 27th Home Loughboro -- both league games so will be full on
  • Options
    Cardinal Sin goes
  • Options
    I go with him
  • Options
    is that in a manly way
  • Options

is that in a manly way

Homophobe - burn him!

• Options
    careful - don't want to upset the PC brigade!
  • Options
    Do you hold hands?
  • Options
    Dr Who and the Homophobes

holding hands and taking names
  • Options
    Err....thanks guys!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, I go, two boys play for them and I also do some sponsorship with them too.

A few Charlton appear at home games now and again.

Ladies Day last Friday was fun....
  • Options
    What sort of crowds do they get there on average? Im guessing 600-700 or something??
  • Options
    The oldest RU club in the known universe. I played a few games for them back in the mists of time
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

What sort of crowds do they get there on average? Im guessing 600-700 or something??

Roughly around that, recession has hit their crowds quite a bit, ironically the last 2 seasons have been their best in years.

Doesn't help them playing their home games on the same day as ours.....
  • Options
    You re right about the clash of fixtures usually but I think the next two Home games don't actually clash ..... its been a topic for a while between the two "Clubs"...
  • Options
    somehow this always comes to mind when someone mentions Blackheath Rugby Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmZCMmNPkM
  • Options
    Now why haven't they ever sponsored the Club!
  • Options
    Been about 4 times this season and attendances are down. Good day out and a tonic if you are slightly pissed off with the Addicks home form or modern football in general. It is not a replacement though unless you are born and bred in the Rugby ethos. With a prevailing wind you can hear the Valley erupt at goal time, which is quite surreal (not happened much on my visits this year though...)
  • Options
    Ladies day up there today too today I think -decent game against Ealing on show.
  • Options
    Always go when we are playing away. High standard of rugby and good afternoon out. Will be up there today. Ealing are running away with the league so this will be a tough game. If your going today watch put for Canty playing at 15 and Dave Allen at 7.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mate of mine plays for them, will probably make the effort to go one day when he is playing
  • Options
    there moving I understand to the old thames poly ground, can see it all being levelled out now, heard it was because the sports club, split income evenly 3 ways rugby, cricket and tennis and seeing as rugby brings most revenue in the rugby boys aint happy with it. Don't know if that is the reason but , thats what I was told.
  • Options
    Went on Saturday to Well Hall to see their first 1st home league fixture vs Esher staged at the Old Thames Poly ground. Blackheath ground out a win to bounce back from a big away defeat in their first game.

Adult is £12 to get in and a child for free for a stand seat (with no roof). Son watched the first half and then played football on the astroturf with a group of kids for the second half. Reminded me of when I used to do this at The Valley in the 1970's in the goal where the police control room is now.

Infrastructure at Well Hall still a bit missing with a few issues with tills in the main bar, getting served in the snack bar and the scoreboard falling over. However, it appears they are sorting it all out over the next few months with adding another snack bar and eventually a roof to the open stand.

Enjoyed watching the game with a beer in hand and the habit of people in the crowd ridiculing the referee whilst calling him "Sir" . It seems its OK to say what you want about the referee as long as you precede or end your comment with "Sir".

Also struck by how 'starstruck' my son and his mate were when the players were applauded off the pitch by a corridor of fans at the end of the game. Not sure they have identified quite as closely with any CAFC players since the departure of Scott Wagstaff.

Aim to keep going whilst being still pissed off with the existing Belgian regime.
  • Options
    Went along last w/e too - thoroughly enjoyable game between two closely matched sides.
  • Options
    tallboy said:

Went on Saturday to Well Hall to see their first 1st home league fixture vs Esher staged at the Old Thames Poly ground. Blackheath ground out a win to bounce back from a big away defeat in their first game.

Adult is £12 to get in and a child for free for a stand seat (with no roof). Son watched the first half and then played football on the astroturf with a group of kids for the second half. Reminded me of when I used to do this at The Valley in the 1970's in the goal where the police control room is now.

Infrastructure at Well Hall still a bit missing with a few issues with tills in the main bar, getting served in the snack bar and the scoreboard falling over. However, it appears they are sorting it all out over the next few months with adding another snack bar and eventually a roof to the open stand.

Enjoyed watching the game with a beer in hand and the habit of people in the crowd ridiculing the referee whilst calling him "Sir" . It seems its OK to say what you want about the referee as long as you precede or end your comment with "Sir".

Also struck by how 'starstruck' my son and his mate were when the players were applauded off the pitch by a corridor of fans at the end of the game. Not sure they have identified quite as closely with any CAFC players since the departure of Scott Wagstaff.

Aim to keep going whilst being still pissed off with the existing Belgian regime.

1se7 said:

Went along last w/e too - thoroughly enjoyable game between two closely matched sides.

Next weekend, can I suggest Charlton Park vs Old Colfeans. Ground is in Broad Walk, Kidbrooke. Free Parking, Free Entry, Bar and pork scratchings are sold behind the bar. No quite the same level but quite a good standard, nonetheless.
  • Options
    Back in the old days there used to be a traditional Oxford v Cambridge Past and Present fixture every year around Christmas I think. The sides were usually packed with internationals and heaps of points scored. Remember standing on the duck boards to watch the entertaining games at the Rectory Field. Just wondered whether they still had the fixture?
  • Options
    Go past the ground on the train everyday and the playing surface looks immaculate. They've even made the football pitches at the back like carpets.
  • Options
    played there for 15 years, real shame they booted out all the football teams that were there when they took it over.
  • Options
    Blackheath have a 10 year agreement with Millwall. Their academy have full use of 3/4 of the site now, their investment (£300k+) is being used to put in new changing rooms/showers/gym etc.

Floodlights are going in shortly on the main pitch.

• Options
    Yes - I think Millwall train their younger teams there. Attending my sons Rugby evening pre-season training session there a couple of years ago, Millwall youth were training on the astro. Having played amateur football at a reasonable level (including a lot of games at Thames Poly) I was struck by how inventive and well executed the training sessions were. Very different from the seemingly hours of shuttle runs and jogs around the field perimeter we had to endure.