Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

International bank fees - very close to theft

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about problems in transferring £40,000 from the UK to the Czech republic. While still resolving that problem, another one has appeared. So I just thought I'd list them and see if anyone has a reasonable defence for the banks.

To recap on my UK- Czech problem:

HSBC in the UK don't allow you to transfer more than £10k per day. So I had to make three transactions (I stopped before the 4th when I realised what was happening). Each time, HSBC charged me £17.

When the money started to arrive in my Czech bank (the Austrian European big player Raiffeissen), I saw to my horror that they were charging me £40 for each incoming transaction.

With HSBC I rang their call centre. After a half hour of haranguing they agreed to pay refund me £38. With Raifka, I have written to the CEO to complain. He has yet to reply, although my local account manager admitted that a new package of fees was coming in, in response to customer complaints.

Now get this one. The Czech Republic is not yet in the euro, but their banks offer accounts denominated in euros. Or at least nominally in euros. Like many Czech people we plan to spend a happy summer holiday driving to the glorious Croatian coast and staying in private apartments. Owners of such apartments expect 30% deposits when booking, and of course are not set up for credit cards, so you have to pay by bank transfer. The apartment owner we booked with has a euro account as I do (although Croatia is not in the eurozone either). I sent her €150, and Raifka docked me €12 for the privilege (but less than HSBC, you notice). Imagine my surprise when she mailed to thank me for "the €120". I assumed she'd been the victim of a ridiculous incoming charge, but she sent me screenshots which showed her bank charged her less than one euro. Off I went to my local account manager. He was completely at a loss to explain where the €30 had gone. Two days later we have an explanation of some kind. It goes something like this:

"Because neither CZ nor Croatia is in the eurozone we use partner banks as intermediaries for such transactions, but we are unable to tell you in advance about the use of such banks in a transaction.. Nevertheless its your fault because for such a transaction you selected SHA (shared) regarding fees, whereas you should have selected OUR (I pay both my fees and those of the Croatian lady.)"

Breathtaking. Raifka are actually operational in Croatia. Why do they need intermediary banks? The truth is that even though both I and the other person have euro accounts, because they are not eurozone countries, the banks play a game. They pretend it is necessary to convert the euros into Czech crowns, then convert the Czech crowns into Croatian thingys, then back into euros. And to involve some other banks in this process. And charge me for it. What a load of bollocks. If we paid her cash, would we go through all these conversions if I have euros and she wants euros? Of course not. Thats the whole point of the frigging euro.

I have of course written back telling them this is wholly unacceptable. But most Czechs are not stroppy like me. And hundreds and thousands of them take holidays like this in Croatia... think of the Praaaafits!!!

I have recently discovered, thanks to MrOneLung and others, that alternatives exist which can stop the banks thieving like this. Because the latter one really is theft is it not? I successfully used Moneybookers to transfer the final 10k from the UK to CZ for a tiny fee, but it didnt work in Croatia, because the recipient needs to sign up to Moneybookers, and the apartment owners were suspicious of it.

Is there any wonder that ordinary people hate banks?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, shocking. And Croatia isn't signed up to SEPA.
    I just checked with my bank's web page and as well as free SEPA transfers and free transfers from the UK to other accounts I may have with them in other countries, they also give me up to 8 free SWIFT transfers per month. I said it before, Prague, but you really do need a different banking relationship.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I just checked with my bank's web page and as well as free SEPA transfers and free transfers from the UK to other accounts I may have with them in other countries, they also give me up to 8 free SWIFT transfers per month. I said it before, Prague, but you really do need a different banking relationship.

May I ask who your bank is then? UK I presume. Sounds pretty amazing. Well in the UK, HSBC stick their fingers up to the Sepa related directive, by putting a limit of just 2k on Sepa transfers - while still charging £9 per transfer. Jokers

Trouble is I will need to change my Czech bank too.

I do think that here is an example of where the EU tries to help ordinary people - by introducing things like SEPA - and get no credit it for it, nor any support from national politicians who prefer to remain in the pockets of banks. Who here has heard of SEPA.? I hadn't, until it was too late.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I heartely reccomend transferwise.com or, if you prefer a broker, currencies direct
  • Options

cafcfan said:

May I ask who your bank is then? UK I presume. Sounds pretty amazing. Well in the UK, HSBC stick their fingers up to the Sepa related directive, by putting a limit of just 2k on Sepa transfers - while still charging £9 per transfer. Jokers

Trouble is I will need to change my Czech bank too.

I do think that here is an example of where the EU tries to help ordinary people - by introducing things like SEPA - and get no credit it for it, nor any support from national politicians who prefer to remain in the pockets of banks. Who here has heard of SEPA.? I hadn't, until it was too late.

You have mail.
  • Options
    Could be worse mate you could live in Cyprus, a friend of mine stands to lose a fortune through no fault of his own.
  • Options
    Just a point to note. Currencies do not leave their "home" countries. In the case of the Euro, the Czech and Croatian banks will hold their own Euro accounts with a Correspondant Bank - a bank within the Eurozone that they work with.

When you transfer funds, two SWIFT messages are sent. One to the Croatian Bank to advise who you are crediting and confirming that the beneficiary's bank have had their Euro Account credited. The other goes to the beneficiary bank's correspondent bank and actually credits their Euro account. What your client receives is an internal book entry at their bank.

As others have mentioned, SEPA is meant to make cross-border payments cheaper and easier. If your bank doesn't play ball...move! It's not as difficult as people think it is.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Just a point to note. Currencies do not leave their "home" countries. In the case of the Euro, the Czech and Croatian banks will hold their own Euro accounts with a Correspondant Bank - a bank within the Eurozone that they work with.

When you transfer funds, two SWIFT messages are sent. One to the Croatian Bank to advise who you are crediting and confirming that the beneficiary's bank have had their Euro Account credited. The other goes to the beneficiary bank's correspondent bank and actually credits their Euro account. What your client receives is an internal book entry at their bank.

As others have mentioned, SEPA is meant to make cross-border payments cheaper and easier. If your bank doesn't play ball...move! It's not as difficult as people think it is.

Hi Tel

Thanks for attempting to shed light on this. I understand what you are saying, but in response I would say that then these banks outside the euro zone are swindling their customers when they offer 'euro' accounts. Both I and the Croatian lady have accounts which are denominated in euros. But in fact they are bogus accounts, meaningless. You cannot pay euro to euro with these accounts without being swindled.

Tonight the Croatian lady has extracted from her bank and sent to me more information than I suspect the banking industry would want her to have. The intermediary which has taken the 30 euros is Standard Chartered in Frankfurt. Well if Raifka want to involve this non retail bank, thats their business. But why should I pay? I already paid Raifka 12 euros for a transaction which didnt involve the time of any Raifka employee.

Theft. Sorry. I continue to think this word is appropriate.

• Options
    i have an RMB account in Macao and one in China.

to transfer between them I first need to transfer the rmb in macau into macao patacas. the maximum for this is around 2000 pounds per day. no fee... but lose money in currency conversion.

then have to do a further currency conversion into hong kong dollars because that is the only way I can send the money to china.next I send the money from macau to china. When the money arrives in china I convert currency 1 further time in to rmb.

soooo.... that is 3 conversions

rmb ~ patacas ~ hk dollars ~ rmb

plus 30~40 quid in fees.

the only alternative would be to get a big briefcase of cash on 1 of my trips between macau and china but that would be illegal... and risky...

rip off!!!
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Hi Tel

Thanks for attempting to shed light on this. I understand what you are saying, but in response I would say that then these banks outside the euro zone are swindling their customers when they offer 'euro' accounts. Both I and the Croatian lady have accounts which are denominated in euros. But in fact they are bogus accounts, meaningless. You cannot pay euro to euro with these accounts without being swindled.

Tonight the Croatian lady has extracted from her bank and sent to me more information than I suspect the banking industry would want her to have. The intermediary which has taken the 30 euros is Standard Chartered in Frankfurt. Well if Raifka want to involve this non retail bank, thats their business. But why should I pay? I already paid Raifka 12 euros for a transaction which didnt involve the time of any Raifka employee.

Theft. Sorry. I continue to think this word is appropriate.

Hi Prague,

No worries. It is the same with every currency. The "home" currency never leaves the actual home country. If you were sending sterling, for exams, then the transfer of funds would be between the two banks in London (or their intermediary if they did not have a UK office) and the SWIFT message from sending bank to beneficiary bank would advise them that they have credited that bank's sterling account, for the credit of their client. That's when the "book-entry" at the beneficiary bank takes place. They know their account has the funds, they debit their internal account and credit their client.

People do trade in many different currencies and most of the time it should be to provide a natural hedge and avoid what siv has experienced. It helps to avoid unnecessary foreign exchange transactions which can be costly (sometimes not, given timings and market moves).

The "correspondent bank" fee - in this case Standard Chatered - has been set by the Central Bank for many countries. In the UK, I know my bank has a flat £6 fee. Many European countries, including Germany, order that a percentage of the actual transfer is taken! This can be horrendously expensive and a good reason that SEPA is being expanded. What it did tend to do though was reduce other tariffs for bank services. For example, we don't yet have monthly fees for actually having an account (unless you take one of their packages) like the US.

I don't think the offering of accounts themselves are theft. I do think you have a choice over fees though and there are alternatives which are much cheaper and transparent.

Shop around, find an alternative an let your bank know when you do. They are like any other service provider...they may offer you a deal.
  • Options

to transfer between them I first need to transfer the rmb in macau into macao patacas. the maximum for this is around 2000 pounds per day. no fee... but lose money in currency conversion.

then have to do a further currency conversion into hong kong dollars because that is the only way I can send the money to china.next I send the money from macau to china. When the money arrives in china I convert currency 1 further time in to rmb.

plus 30~40 quid in fees.

the only alternative would be to get a big briefcase of cash on 1 of my trips between macau and china but that would be illegal... and risky...

rip off!!!

Not half! If I have this right, it is more or less like wanting to change Scottish pound notes into English, but having to go via Jersey and The Isle of Man to do so, and being charged at every stop on the way? No wonder the inscrutable little f**kers have so much money...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Siv

It might be worth you looking at www.moneybookers.com for a case like yours and mine where you are sendinG money to yourself in a different country. When I used them, I did in fact escape the outrageous fees that both banks had deducted me. You would have to check if they work in both China and Macau, and then you would have to select which of the two countries is your "home" and be able to prove that to the same extent that you would for opening a normal bank account.

However...one CL regular who is obviously in the know has pointed out to me that the real issue is not the fees but the exchange commission. He estimated that the banks made around £1000 on my transaction on the exchange rate, so we are all focusing on the wrong thing. Well, Moneybookers.com seem to have given me a slightly better exchange rate than my regular banks did, but still made a decent whack.

That my friends is a damn good reason why there is a euro, but you don't tend to hear very much of that from British politicians.
  • Options

plus 30~40 quid in fees.

rip off!!!

Not half! If I have this right, it is more or less like wanting to change Scottish pound notes into English, but having to go via Jersey and The Isle of Man to do so, and being charged at every stop on the way? No wonder the inscrutable little f**kers have so much money...
    Scottish notes haa! What an affectation they are. Only issued by Clydesdale (Australian owned) Bank of Scotland (mostly English owned) and RBS (broken and owned by the UK Govt.) Those banks are also required to keep an equivalent amount in proper money (English pounds) with the Bank of England for every note they print. What a waste of funds you'd think they'd have something better to do with. Their notes are not legal tender - anywhere - (Scottish law doesn't have the legal tender concept) and you are not obliged to accept them. I decline them at every opportunity. The position is the same for those mickey mouse Northern Ireland notes.

• Options

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about problems in transferring £40,000 from the UK to the Czech republic. While still resolving that problem, another one has appeared. So I just thought I'd list them and see if anyone has a reasonable defence for the banks.

HSBC in the UK don't allow you to transfer more than £10k per day. So I had to make three transactions (I stopped before the 4th when I realised what was happening). Each time, HSBC charged me £17.

When the money started to arrive in my Czech bank (the Austrian European big player Raiffeissen), I saw to my horror that they were charging me £40 for each incoming transaction.

With HSBC I rang their call centre. After a half hour of haranguing they agreed to pay refund me £38. With Raifka, I have written to the CEO to complain. He has yet to reply, although my local account manager admitted that a new package of fees was coming in, in response to customer complaints.

Now get this one. The Czech Republic is not yet in the euro, but their banks offer accounts denominated in euros. Or at least nominally in euros. Like many Czech people we plan to spend a happy summer holiday driving to the glorious Croatian coast and staying in private apartments. Owners of such apartments expect 30% deposits when booking, and of course are not set up for credit cards, so you have to pay by bank transfer. The apartment owner we booked with has a euro account as I do (although Croatia is not in the eurozone either). I sent her €150, and Raifka docked me €12 for the privilege (but less than HSBC, you notice). Imagine my surprise when she mailed to thank me for "the €120". I assumed she'd been the victim of a ridiculous incoming charge, but she sent me screenshots which showed her bank charged her less than one euro. Off I went to my local account manager. He was completely at a loss to explain where the €30 had gone. Two days later we have an explanation of some kind. It goes something like this:

"Because neither CZ nor Croatia is in the eurozone we use partner banks as intermediaries for such transactions, but we are unable to tell you in advance about the use of such banks in a transaction.. Nevertheless its your fault because for such a transaction you selected SHA (shared) regarding fees, whereas you should have selected OUR (I pay both my fees and those of the Croatian lady.)"

Breathtaking. Raifka are actually operational in Croatia. Why do they need intermediary banks? The truth is that even though both I and the other person have euro accounts, because they are not eurozone countries, the banks play a game. They pretend it is necessary to convert the euros into Czech crowns, then convert the Czech crowns into Croatian thingys, then back into euros. And to involve some other banks in this process. And charge me for it. What a load of bollocks. If we paid her cash, would we go through all these conversions if I have euros and she wants euros? Of course not. Thats the whole point of the frigging euro.

I have of course written back telling them this is wholly unacceptable. But most Czechs are not stroppy like me. And hundreds and thousands of them take holidays like this in Croatia... think of the Praaaafits!!!

I have recently discovered, thanks to MrOneLung and others, that alternatives exist which can stop the banks thieving like this. Because the latter one really is theft is it not? I successfully used Moneybookers to transfer the final 10k from the UK to CZ for a tiny fee, but it didnt work in Croatia, because the recipient needs to sign up to Moneybookers, and the apartment owners were suspicious of it.

I take it you've never heard of paypal?
  • Options
    Loco said:

I take it you've never heard of paypal?
    No actually, I hadn't realised that PayPal could help me with this. I do now, but they are still more expensive than Moneybookers, and as I have now learnt, the real issue is the conversion rate. Do Paypal declare their conversion rates?

• Options
    RobRob
    edited March 2013
    From the Paypal site....

PayPal launched Multiple Currencies to facilitate payments among our diverse base of international members. PayPal is pleased to offer conversion rates that are competitive with those of other consumer services.

The most readily available information on currency exchange rates is based on "interbank exchange rates". Interbank exchange rates are established in the course of currency trading among a global network of over 1,000 banks, and are not available through consumer or retail channels. Consumers may use these rates as a reference, but should not expect to use interbank rates in transactions that involve currency conversion. To obtain actual retail rates, contact your local financial institution or currency exchange, or check the rate displayed in your PayPal transaction.

Displaying Conversion Rates

PayPal will always provide information on transactions that include a currency conversion. The currency conversion rate will be displayed each time you:

•Send a payment in a non-local currency
    •Accept and automatically convert a payment to your primary currency
    •Withdraw funds in a non-local currency to your local bank account
    •Transfer funds between currency balances
    In addition, you can go to History to review the currency conversion calculations from previous transactions.

There is no currency conversion for transactions where you:

•Send a payment using a funding source in the same currency
    •Receive a payment in a currency for which you hold a balance (you do not need to have funds in the currency balance)
    •Withdraw funds in local currency to your local bank account
  • Options
    Yeah, every time I look to move 40 grand between my bank accounts I really get fucked off by having to pay a few quid to use the infrastructure that has been put in place to help me facilitate this.

Robbing bastards.
  • Options
    exactly...

its the exchange rates where we lose out the most

will look into the alternatives suggested
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    This article has everything you need to know about transfering money abroad, you absolutely should read it. In your case I would have gone through a broker.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/foreign-currency-exchange
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Yeah, every time I look to move 40 grand between my bank accounts I really get fucked off by having to pay a few quid to use the infrastructure that has been put in place to help me facilitate this.

Robbing bastards.

Welcome back,I was starting to worry about you...
  • Options
    Rob - thanks. Looks like PayPal would have been the best deal for my payment euro-euro, which the banks punish if the euro account is held in a non-eurozone country. But they are not helping much on the exchange rate front.
    Rob62 - thanks. I did read that article but too late, only after I'd realised how much they were charging. You are right, for the big transaction I should have gone to a broker. A Lifer called MrOneLung works for one of the brokers mentioned, Moneycorp.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I'm not being funny here and it is a leading question but, why is it that you think these services should be free?
  • Options
    I don't think anybody expects these things to be free, but the charge should be comprable to the effort expended, and the banks shouldn't be manufacturing over complications in order to rack up the fees. The vast majority of payments automate through the banks' systems. Even covering the costs of manually fixing payments that don't automate, the total cost is still pennies per transaction to the bank. So getting charged thousands of times the actual cost doesn't feel right.
  • Options
    Loco said:

I'm not being funny here and it is a leading question but, why is it that you think these services should be free?

Randy Andy has basically spoken for me. Nowhere did I suggest they should be "free" . In addition I should add that

- any fee for an incoming payment is absurd. Incoming payments add to the interest a bank can build up and should be encouraged. €40 for an incoming payment is simply obscene

- charges for intermediary banks in such transactions should be abolished, especially when they are hidden from the customer until after the transaction has taken place.

- if a bank offers an account denominated in euros, regardless of whether the account is in the eurozone, then it should be handled as if it was in the eurozone in terms of charges. Otherwise its a scam, and should be illegal. Indeed, I wonder whether in Britain you could bring an action against such scams under the Trade Descriptions Law

- The currency exchange margin needs to be clearly and always flagged up so that we can educate ourselves about the real cost, and compare deals elsewhere

- banks like HSBC need to implement SEPA as the EU intends (ie. not impose artificial low limits on the transaction)

- Limits like HSBC's 10k per day on internet transactions need to be questioned

Thieves?..maybe a bit harsh.. disreputable and dishonest business practices? I rest my case...

I await your comments on all that, Loco..
  • Options
    Prague
    I don't know about Trade Descriptions but in the UK if you:
    1) Found out the name and telephone number of the head honcho contact from the FSA's register of companies;
    2) Told your bank you were making a formal complaint to them;
    3) Reminded them of it Principles of Business, listed below, from the FSA's handbook (to become the Financial Conduct Authority from 2nd April); and
    4) Threatened them with referral to the Financial Ombudsman and the FCA if the matter was not resolved to your satisfaction,
    Then they would just roll over, play dead, give you your money back plus some form of ex gratia payment.

In the circumstances you have described, of monies being taken that you were not expecting to be charged to your account then it is clear as day that they have breached Principles 1, 2, 5, and in particular, 6 and 7.

I did this very thing when my bank, on the only occasion they've caused me grief and through no real fault of their own, failed to tell me that they had had a system failure when the payments system switched over to Faster Payments and a credit card bill did not get paid. They took it upon themselves to deal with the card company, got the penalty payments taken off the card statement, paid the bill, and gave me £50 for my trouble.

(There would also be countless Rule breaches that underpin the Principles but probably best not to get to technical here.)

The Principles
    1 Integrity: A firm must conduct its business with integrity.
    2 Skill, care and diligence: A firm must conduct its business with due skill, care and diligence.
    3 Management and control: A firm must take reasonable care to organise and control its affairs responsibly and effectively, with adequate risk management systems.
    4 Financial prudence: A firm must maintain adequate financial resources.
    5 Market conduct: A firm must observe proper standards of market conduct.
    6 Customers' interests: A firm must pay due regard to the interests of its customers and treat them fairly.
    7 Communications with clients: A firm must pay due regard to the information needs of its clients, and communicate information to them in a way which is clear, fair and not misleading.
    8 Conflicts of interest: A firm must manage conflicts of interest fairly, both between itself and its customers and between a customer and another client.
    9 Customers relationships of trust: A firm must take reasonable care to ensure the suitability of its advice and discretionary decisions for any customer who is entitled to rely upon its judgment.
    10 Clients' assets: A firm must arrange adequate protection for clients' assets when it is responsible for them.
    11 Relations with regulators: A firm must deal with its regulators in an open and cooperative way, and must disclose to the appropriate regulator appropriately anything relating to the firm of which that regulator would reasonably expect notice.

I'd be midly surprised if another EU country didn't have a very similar regime.
  • Options
    cafcfan

Thanks, that's very interesting and useful. With HSBC to be fair to them they did repay me some of their fees. Although I will address the other issues via the route you suggest. Up to now I had not found a way to establish who the head honcho is.

Unfortunately most of my remaining issues now remain with the Czech bank. The trouble is that while the country has been in the EU since 2004, there is generally still an overhang from the Communist era, and the customer is definitely not king. On the other hand there is a bit of an aura around the UK that it is a country which Does Things Properly, so I could throw the Principles at them. That may well carry some weight even if they have not yet embraced exactly these principles.
  • Options
    Prague, the full address is:

Service Quality Team (Complaints)
    HSBC Bank plc
    Arlington Business Centre
    Millshaw Park Lane
    Leeds
    West Yorkshire
    LS11 0PP

+44 0800 881 155

servicequality@hsbc.com
    www.hsbc.co.uk
    The top manager there appears to be called David Webb, (maybe)

The top man as in (controlled function) CF3 CEO is Brian Robertson but he'll be based at Canary Wharf.
    Amusingly the person you really want is CF10 Compliance Oversight. That was David Bagley but he resigned on live TV in front of the US senate sub-committee last summer, so somewhat disturbingly, they haven't actually had one since then!
    But that's about to be rectified when Ruth Horgan who is going to be Global Head of Compliance takes over but only from 2nd April! And they don't seem to have told the FSA/FCA yet as she's not listed on an individual's search. It might be useful to try that again next week and ask her why she isn't listed with the FCA as a CF10 and ask if not having a CF10 for 8 months is a breach of Prin 3!
    You could be her first 'phone call!
    HSBC's switchboard at Canary Wharf is +44 020 7991 8888. She used to work for KPMG ha, ha! Try asking for her PA maybe?
  • Options
    I got on a train the other day and the robbing bastards wanted me to pay for it.

I mean, the train was running anyway whether I'd got on it or not.

Disgraceful.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I got on a train the other day and the robbing bastards wanted me to pay for it.

I mean, the train was running anyway whether I'd got on it or not.

Disgraceful.

I was thinking the same, I assume PA does all his work for free.

They have a set of fee's, you decide if you want to pay them or not, it's your choice, theft is totally the wrong word.

plus 30~40 quid in fees.

rip off!!!

Except HK, Macau and China are basically different countries! (Just don't let any of my students hear my saying that)
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the issue is really. Yes banks charge fees and they make money through conversions. That is not new. It is down to the individual to read the fine print, request the bank charges and choose for themselves the best way of looking after their money. In every business a service comes at a cost.

I've been sending money back from Thailand for 7 years to a UK account. It was my choice to do it, so I expect to pay the charge. I have now worked out the cheapest solution for sending money back and this meant changing banks. I didn't hold the bank who was charging more responsible, I kicked myself for not looking into the finer details before I'd started.
  • Options
    Loco said:

Randy Andy has basically spoken for me. Nowhere did I suggest they should be "free" . In addition I should add that

- any fee for an incoming payment is absurd. Incoming payments add to the interest a bank can build up and should be encouraged. €40 for an incoming payment is simply obscene

-as I mentioned previously, this fee is generally set by the Central Bank of each country. In many cases it goes towards reducing costs of other bank services in those countries for their clients. One way or another a client will be charged for services. Again, as mentioned, as consumers of these services we have no compunction to stay with a provider or use just one.

- charges for intermediary banks in such transactions should be abolished, especially when they are hidden from the customer until after the transaction has taken place.

-the problem here is that very few banks are global. They don't operate in every country and therefore they can't offer full banking globally. What they can do is operate a network of correspondent banks who can process transactions for their clients in those countries/currencies. This also works well for businesses who expand overseas & can be introduced to a bank. Often it works the other way, with the UK bank being the Sterling correspondent.

If your bank isn't in a certain country, then why should a bank there provide their service for free? By all means you should be able to know the costs. By the way SEPA have removed the option to pay beneficiary costs on some transactions, which is causing more of a headache for clients.

- if a bank offers an account denominated in euros, regardless of whether the account is in the eurozone, then it should be handled as if it was in the eurozone in terms of charges. Otherwise its a scam, and should be illegal. Indeed, I wonder whether in Britain you could bring an action against such scams under the Trade Descriptions Law

-er, sorry, ridiculous comment. It may feel harsh as we live so close to the Euro using countries, but think about your comment with Stu's Renminbi. Are you going to tell China that because you have a Renminbi account in the UK, you are going to disregard their laws/restrictions??

Currency accounts are offered to allow people/businesses of all size to trade globally. They offer benefits such as avoiding unnecessary FX exchanges which, in turn, means that prices/costs can be set.

Offering currency accounts is not a scam. Clients who use them see them as the only way to operate on a global, or even localised, way.

- The currency exchange margin needs to be clearly and always flagged up so that we can educate ourselves about the real cost, and compare deals elsewhere

-Reuters show live market rates. You can see these freely and judge what you are being offered by your bank. As with everything else, costs/rates will vary between providers. If they were all the same, you'd have one if those forbidden things...a cartel!!

Large volume users tend to get better rates. Think of it as a supermarket "buy in bulk" scenario. If you can, fix the rate rather than simply make the transfer electronically. With the latter you tend to get a rate set in the system at the start of the day to deal with thousands of transactions. It won't be the best, but tends to affect smaller payments where the differences are smaller.

Similarly, we pull payments out of the system, over a certain amount, where they come into my clients accounts quoting a different currency. We offer our clients the option to reroute to an account in the currency of the payment. It's usually one of their clients quoting wrong details, but it saves my client unnecessary FX costs. We don't charge for that by the way!

- banks like HSBC need to implement SEPA as the EU intends (ie. not impose artificial low limits on the transaction)

-agreed, but many already do. You aren't bound to HSBC!

- Limits like HSBC's 10k per day on internet transactions need to be questioned

-as above.

Thieves?..maybe a bit harsh.. disreputable and dishonest business practices? I rest my case...

-certainly the case for a lot of practices & they're paying for it now. In most cases, quite rightly.

However, offering foreign currency accounts isn't one of them & certainly isn't disreputable or dishonest to do so. You've had a lot of advice on here about other providers...they'll all make their money somehow, but it shows the benefits of shopping around & not buying all your services from one provider.

I have to have car insurance. I never stay with the same one year on year! I get a great quote one year...don't have to speak to anyone for 12 months but then find my premium quote is considerably higher. I shop around & move! They have no loyalty to me. Same goes the other way and with whoever provides me with any service that's offered by multiple other choices.

I await your comments on all that, Loco..

You've been hit with poor service Prague, but a lot of good advice here from others about the options out there.

The brokers remember will often be using the big banks and their systems to trade, but can negotiate better rates as "bulk purchasers", so the banks are still providing the service you want in the background.

Hope this sheds a little light, but always worth looking around when you want any service. Good luck in the future, Tel.