Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New First World War website

Hi, I have done the layout and graphics/photographs for my brother-in-laws website.
As there are a number of lifer's on here appreciate any comments ( hopefully positive)
My Brother in law has written a couple of books on the subject and lives in France by the
Thiepval memorial, during the summer months. We will be adding different pages throughout the year, for the 100 years of the war
next year.http://www.ancregreatwar.co.uk/WW1_HOME.html

Comments

• Options
    Tidy site. I think the font may be too especially on left pane 'The Victor heroes', and also right pane at http://www.ancregreatwar.co.uk/WW1_Saffron_Walden.html
    The photo of the memorial, present day, at http://www.ancregreatwar.co.uk/WW1_Saffron_Walden.html, is taken from a different side?
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments sword.
    One of the issues I had was not trying to put too much text on the page?.
    But that is the client's wish?....
    This is essentially a soft launch, for next year, and will change, or develop, during the coming year.
    I personally would have had bigger photos and less text, and added some more pages.
  • Options
    Enjoyed visiting the site. Will be very interested how this develops. Good luck.
  • Options
    Great site.

At first I was knocked back by the colour scheme but it does work and is appropriate to the feel and content of the site.

Bookmarked it.
  • Options
    For youngsters particularly you could have started with an introduction showing the events that lead to the conflict. Good start with masses more that can be added.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

For youngsters particularly you could have started with an introduction showing the events that lead to the conflict. Good start with masses more that can be added.

As both of them are ex-teachers I am sure that would be easy, and a good point to consider.......
    They in fact helped the new visitor centre at Tiepval with the educational side of things.
    They are aiming at the person trying to track down there relatives, family tree and work for a variety of associations, like the war graves commission, western front etc. They have been involved with Thiepval, they live in the lower valley/village along with about 12 other ex-pats, some of which lecture at the local societies/museums. They are there, most of the time from Now till October, or visiting other areas, such as this to do articles/photography etc. As the first world war commerates 100 years next year, I expect they will be very busy. This website is just the first phase, so comments are welcome, thanks.

• Options
    My Dad is involved with the Durand group, who investigate great war tunnels, and the great war is his favourite subject... I'll send him the link and see if he has any feedback. I've been to several battlefields myself, and the site is looking good.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

My Dad is involved with the Durand group, who investigate great war tunnels, and the great war is his favourite subject... I'll send him the link and see if he has any feedback. I've been to several battlefields myself, and the site is looking good.

Oh well he will know about the 'glory hole' pardon the slang......
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057918/Truth-Sommes-underground-warfare-secret-passages-opened-90-y
    photographed it myself in October.....

• Options
    On the site of the tunnels
  • Options
    Site of the bomb crater
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been in one tunnel at Vimy, and another one somewhere else I can't remember. Also, I fell down that crater on a school trip when someone shoved me. It was quite some distance. In fact our house is full of shrapnell shells, bullets, rolls of barbed wire... One time I was getting some mud out of a shell with a stick, and about an inch hit solid explosive. Another time, my dad got the cordite out of a load of rusty old bullets and let me set fire to it. My Mum despairs.