Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton 2013 Post-match news & views

Comments

• Options

Hard fought, low on quality but never felt Udders were a threat, especially with Lee thrashing around like a really ugly sunday footballer. Lancashire Lad - Morrison a liability? Haynes should have done better when put through. Radio Leeds West Yorkshire Sport programme singing our praises as were lot of the texters and twatters quoted on the show. Robins singled out Taylor as somebody they had to deal with as Morrison does the hard marking and Taylor attacks the ball. Said they tried to mark Taylor out of the game but never able to stop him or get ball past the pair of them to challenge Button.
    Felt really very relaxed through second half just a bit cold.

Think your right for all their second half pressure they never really looked like breaking us down.Infact they looked a little bit like us at the valley.Not sure how much of the pressure us sitting back or them looking for o goal.thought taylor had a great game and this was the kind of performance that saw us get so many points last season.Just like to say thanks to cp and the players who made this a great day for my boy who was away mascot.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Can someone give more info on Harriott? Is he a real left winger or a central player pushed wide? Seems to have a nice few tricks up his sleeve.

Definitely a winger. Not aware of the club ever using him centrally apart occasionally behind the striker(s).
    Thanks. Can't remember the last genuine 'tricky' winger we had.
    Nolly's favourite Lloyd Sam probably and Jerome Thomas before him.
    Sam wasn't really a tricky winger, he started as a striker, I am thinking more in the Mark Robson mould, someone with fast feet who can take people on.

Still trying to work out what the hell Jerome Thomas was!
    A tricky winger is exactly what Sam was.

I liked Sam but he was more of a modern winger, a pretty sizeable bloke with decent skill but not like an old style winger who would 'drop the shoulder' on defenders and go past them.

To be fair you rarely see these types of players any longer, even Lennon at Spurs is more of a cut inside merchant.
    Sizeable winger?? Sam used the 'drop of the shoulder' in abundance, the definition of a tricky winger in my eyes, not much else about his game, but definitively a tricky winger
  • Options
    Does anybody agree with me that Matt Taylor is by far our best defender? We seem to be a better team when he plays and also think he brings out the best in Morrison.I like Cort but does worry me at times.
  • Options

Does anybody agree with me that Matt Taylor is by far our best defender? We seem to be a better team when he plays and also think he brings out the best in Morrison.I like Cort but does worry me at times.

I wouldn't go that far greenwichred. I think Solly, Wiggins and Morro (despite his recent mediocre form) are better defenders, but I do agree with you that Taylor brings out the best in Morro and makes a stronger central defence partnership than either Cort or Dervite.
  • Options
    Strange thread this. Not many post match summaries!
  • Options
    The game showed to a certain extent why we can't win AT HOME. A terrible pitch stymied most attacking play from the home side. We scored early and defended like tigers for the rest of the game.
    Lovely to see little Prince Harry score .. he was (to put it mildly) ecstatic and the buzz from the early goal carried us through on adrenalin and spirit.
    It still needed a m o m display from Button to secure the points though. A great performance by all.
    We are now SAFE from relegation. Hopefully a few summer pounds to spend will see us in the top 8 or 9 on a regular basis next season.
  • Options
    By saying best defender Davo55 I meant center back.solly and Wiggins are in a class of their own but I also think having Taylor around gives them more confidence aswell and allows them to attack more which creates more chances up front.just hope Powell doesn't tinker from now till end of season(barring injuries) and keep morrow and Taylor together.
  • Options

By saying best defender Davo55 I meant center back.solly and Wiggins are in a class of their own but I also think having Taylor around gives them more confidence aswell and allows them to attack more which creates more chances up front.just hope Powell doesn't tinker from now till end of season(barring injuries) and keep morrow and Taylor together.

Agreed mate.
  • Options
    both Taylor and Morro worried me yesterday as they kept clearing the ball to Huddersfield players, however it could equally be said that our central midfield players weren't in the right places to receive the clearances, in retrospect I'm more worried by our central midfield which, on a heavy pitch, was too light-weight. I like Morro and Taylor together but also think Cort is just a good, I wonder what Cort and Taylor would be like together?
  • Options

I like Morro and Taylor together but also think Cort is just a good, I wonder what Cort and Taylor would be like together?

Slllllooooowwwww. Plus even the remotest outside chance of playing the ball out of defence rather than hoofing would be gone, and I say that as a fan of both players. A striker would have to be about ten feet tall and made of solid steel to win a thing in the air though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:

I like Morro and Taylor together but also think Cort is just a good, I wonder what Cort and Taylor would be like together?

Slllllooooowwwww. Plus even the remotest outside chance of playing the ball out of defence rather than hoofing would be gone, and I say that as a fan of both players. A striker would have to be about ten feet tall and made of solid steel to win a thing in the air though!
    Yannnnnnnn

• Options
    edited March 2013
    waldo said:

We scraped thru, I don't understand the rationale behind the substituting of a forward with a defender early in the second half when there's another forward on the bench... All it take is a deflection and we lose 2 points yet again and sitting back inviting shots will do just that! I'm not impressed at all as we should have wiped Huddersfield out...

You sound like the moron who sits next to me in the West Stand, although he isn't silent very often!
    Waldorf, how droll!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

RedPanda said:

Woke up in Chatham and had to pay £40 for a cab back to Dartford. Don't care though cos we won. I am so cool when I want to be.

Good man - that's the spirit that made this country great?
    ;-)
    No no spirits just beer.
  • Options
    madadd said:

We scraped thru, I don't understand the rationale behind the substituting of a forward with a defender early in the second half when there's another forward on the bench... All it take is a deflection and we lose 2 points yet again and sitting back inviting shots will do just that! I'm not impressed at all as we should haveve wiped Huddersfield out...

This I have to agree SA...isn't the best form of defence to attack, too much squeaky-bum time when we go defensive at around 60 mins.

Conversely I am the first to appreciate the gaffer is doing a brilliant job managing and balancing a team keeping the players in tact for the remaining games in...armchair management is sooo easy, so I guess I have to say....WE SUPPORT YOU CP KEEP IT GOING....now can someone pass me the Rennies, i have gut ache :) !!
    Normally I'd be against defensive substitutions so early in a game but it was definitely the right move yesterday. The pitch was wide and heavy and Pritchard and Jacko were struggling to cover the ground. As a result gaps were opening up in midfield and Huddersfield were strolling through. The centre backs were doing a good job of dealing with the attacks but I'm pretty sure the pressure would have taken its toll eventually. Bringing on Dervite Plugged those gaps and made the defending a lot more comfortable. He could have brought on Stephens but the frantic nature of the play and the boggy pitch wasn't right for him imo.

• Options
    Thomas and Sam were both tricky wingers without a lightning turn of pace.
  • Options
    Strange that the usual subject trying to get a rise. IMO Pearson is doing ok and if in the play offs over 2 legs would fancy Leicester against anyone in this league
  • Options
    Thanks for that Exiled wasn't at the game so wouldn't have seen that or gleaned it from commentaries
  • Options
    Callum's lookalike Kyel Reid was surely the last tricky winger we had?
  • Options
    I can assure you I look nothing like Kyel Reid! ;o)
  • Options

Bloody hell! I had forgotten all about him!

Just watched Harriott's goal on Player - great strike but shocking marking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great quote from Powell in the press conference.

Q: Was that a training ground free-kick routine for the goal?

A: It is, but Callum is not supposed to be involved in it!

Class!
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Reid was (is) pacy rather than tricky in my opinion.

Despite Ormy's view I maintain Lloyd Sam was tricky.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

This is getting ridiculous now.....:)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Correct
  • Options
    Back to the thread....great win for the lads again we really get good results away from the Valley. Personally cannot make the match on Saturday against the Spanners so we will probably win.
  • Options

and can I throw in a "tactical ineptitude"?

No, you can throw in good learning process. Our away form has beeen the best ever over the last two seasons, congratulations to our legendary defender. At home the entertainment value has been poor, I'm sure that the learning process will kick in next season. Now lets beat Millwall, together in unison.
  • Options
    Great result even if (as it sounds) we didn't play that well.

Bring on Millwall!
  • Options
    Anyone for the play-offs ?
  • Options
    bring on the wall...
  • Options

both Taylor and Morro worried me yesterday as they kept clearing the ball to Huddersfield players, however it could equally be said that our central midfield players weren't in the right places to receive the clearances, in retrospect I'm more worried by our central midfield which, on a heavy pitch, was too light-weight. I like Morro and Taylor together but also think Cort is just a good, I wonder what Cort and Taylor would be like together?

The way CP tinkers with the team I'm sure that we'll find out before the end of the season ;-)