Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shameless begging request

As (probably none) of you are aware, this year, I and a couple of other nutcases will be attempting to ride from London to Paris in 24 hours. The long way (via Dover). It'll be a Herculean effort, no doubt involving lots of pain and soul searching through the depths of Northern France at 4 o'clock in the morning, agonising leg and back pain, copious snarling and cursing at the lycra-clad oafs around me coasting along as the sun comes up and snide glances at the locals as I power up the Champs Elysee with about three minutes to spare...

Of course, no idiot does this without a charity benefitting - and the charity in this case (Scope) is one very close to my heart, as they have helped a couple of my family members out after being failed by other charities and local authorities. If you're interested in what Scope do, check out their website here: http://www.scope.org.uk

Myself and two other muppets are involved - if you would like to sponsor us, we would greatly appreciate it. It's a pretty daunting fundraising target! Our fundraising page is here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/costarL2P24

Thanks!

Comments

• Do you want an aspirin and a Bible?

Or is this a plea for money?
  • If an I.T. expert doesn't know how to use the site what chance have the rest of us got?
  • Haha - I saved it as a draft and for some reason clicked 'post' before completing it. Nothing gets the lolz like an IT bod failing at IT...
  • So, let me get this right Leroy. You're going out for a bike ride with one of your mates and you're asking us to fund your beer money/hotel. Have I got that right?

Man, you change, you change!

• Ahahaha - I knew I could count on you Offy...

If only it were that straightforward. Hey - at least it's a worthwhile effort - rather than funding some poncy student's gap year trek round Machu Pichu, you'll actually be contributing to the worthwhile cause of me suffering in aginy for 24 hours...
  • edited February 2013
    You will be in agony if you read and adhere to my comments on the fundraising page!

• Hey - at least it's a worthwhile effort - rather than funding some poncy student's gap year trek round Machu Pichu.

Worth a donation for that comment alone!
  • Offy - no dice. No way I can listen to that shit. How's this for an offer:
    Alongside Chimaira, Deftones, Fear Factory, Slayer, Carcass, Sepultura and Morbid Angel, I'll put 'Jump' by Van Halen in there. Deal?
  • I will sponsor you. Good cause
  • Somwithout giving too much away which of the three riders should I be allocating my sponsorship to?

Am I to understand that your real name is not Leroy? I always imagined that you looked just like the dancer on Fame!
  • Sponsored links:

• Offy - no dice. No way I can listen to that shit. How's this for an offer:
    Alongside Chimaira, Deftones, Fear Factory, Slayer, Carcass, Sepultura and Morbid Angel, I'll put 'Jump' by Van Halen in there. Deal?

No way Pedro. For starters you can't put Van Halen in the same category as that other guff.

Tell you what, I'll concede on the hour point if you go with "Every Rose has its thorn" by Poison, "Rock the Night" by Europe and your own choice of an Extreme "tune". Can't really say fairer than that, can I?
  • LOL kha. My real name isn't Leroy (you must be younger than me if you don't remember Leroy Ambrose!)

My real name isn't Matt or Neil...
  • edited February 2013

LOL kha. My real name isn't Leroy (you must be younger than me if you don't remember Leroy Ambrose!)

My real name isn't Matt or Neil...

That's a mean shirt and tie combo you are sporting in the picture I've just seen of you mate. Was it dark when you got dressed that morning?
    ;o)

Although I do prefer this image now it's in my nut ....

• Off_it said:

Offy - no dice. No way I can listen to that shit. How's this for an offer:

No way Pedro. For starters you can't put Van Halen in the same category as that other guff.

Tell you what, I'll concede on the hour point if you go with "Every Rose has its thorn" by Poison, "Rock the Night" by Europe and your own choice of an Extreme "tune". Can't really say fairer than that, can I?
    Oh Christ, that's some selection there. Through gritted teeth, it's a deal. I think I'll have trouble finding an Extreme song to suffer through. At least you didn't insist on 'More than turds' - that would have been too much to bear
  • Oi - that's sartorial elegance at its best for an IT bod. Most blokes in IT wear dirty t-shirts, Chinos and sandals.
  • Oi - that's sartorial elegance at its best for an IT bod. Most blokes in IT wear dirty t-shirts, Chinos and sandals.

Fair comment. At least there weren't any pens sticking out your pocket.
  • Bumping this. It's fantastic that I've managed to raise thirty quid out of people who barely, or don't know me at all. If you're umming and ahhing about whether to dip into your pockets, I have three things to say.

Number 1 - This challenge is an absolute beast. We're not talking a mere marathon here, or a sponsored swim, or funding some chinless student ponce's gap year jaunt to machu pichu. This is 280 miles of serious graft, sleep deprivation and (on the second half at least), exposure to The French. That alone should spur you into helping me

Number 2 - Any amount of donation helps. I'm not shy here - or proud. If you can only give a quid, give a quid.

Number 3 - I'm pledging to double any donation myself. So if you give five quid, I'll take five quid out of my own pocket and put in. That means that not only will you be contributing to my physical and mental pain, but also to my financial pain.

I'm sure some of you would love to get your own back for all the snide remarks, copious keyboard-warrioring, thinly-veiled insults and grammar-naziery over the years - so now's your chance - and all for a fantastic cause. For an example of the superb work of Scope, check this link out: http://www.scope.org.uk/schools/ingfield-manor-school

Thanks!
  • Bumping this. It's fantastic that I've managed to raise thirty quid out of people who barely, or don't know me at all. If you're umming and ahhing about whether to dip into your pockets, I have three things to say.

Number 1 - This challenge is an absolute beast. We're not talking a mere marathon here, or a sponsored swim, or funding some chinless student ponce's gap year jaunt to machu pichu. This is 280 miles of serious graft, sleep deprivation and (on the second half at least), exposure to The French. That alone should spur you into helping me

Number 2 - Any amount of donation helps. I'm not shy here - or proud. If you can only give a quid, give a quid.

Number 3 - I'm pledging to double any donation myself. So if you give five quid, I'll take five quid out of my own pocket and put in. That means that not only will you be contributing to my physical and mental pain, but also to my financial pain.

I'm sure some of you would love to get your own back for all the snide remarks, copious keyboard-warrioring, thinly-veiled insults and grammar-naziery over the years - so now's your chance - and all for a fantastic cause. For an example of the superb work of Scope, check this link out: http://www.scope.org.uk/schools/ingfield-manor-school

Thanks!

Haha you're good value Leroy, all the best.