Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bobby Moore.

20 years this weekend since Mooro's passing. Where has that time gone?

One of those truly exceptional players that transcends any club loyality and I feel privilaged to have seen him play.

We hear the words 'world class' banded about in relation to the likes of Terry, Ferdinand et al but Bobby was an absolutely fantastic player and in a different class again. The best we've ever had in his position, and in those 20 years we've not even come close to anyone reaching his standard and I don't see anyone doing it in the next 20 either.

RIP Bobby, you were taken from us far too young.

A great player and a great man.

Comments

• Options
    Well said BA. RIP Sir Bobby.
  • Options
    Blimey 20 years. I'll give him a little thought as I drive past that statue in Dagenham today.
  • Options
    If it wasnt for the world cup taking place in 66 he would have signed for spurs that year. West Ham fans play that one down. Pity he didnt play for a bigger club in the end really.
  • Options
    One of the best players I ever saw live, and that was at the end of his career at Fulham. Will never forget how well he played in the 1970 world cup against Brazil, swapping shirts at the end with Pele. Legend. RIP Sir Bobby.
  • Options
    Haha West Ham fans hate being reminded that he was on the verge of leaving were it not for the fact he had to be contracted to a club to play in '66.
    Not sure his relationship with them was healthy in his later years.
    Got banned from the ground i think for not paying for a ticket i think? Never went back after getting told he had to leave the ground.
  • Options
    Played every minute of all 108 games he played for England - impressive.
  • Options
    Used to watch him play at west ham, my younger brother supprted them, so we went from 66 to 70's as a family. Loved him, saw many a good player and always went when they played man united so we saw George Best, Bobby Charlton also. You could pay on the door in those days and I often got crushed trying to get in the turnstiles. Got Bobby Moore's autograph somewhere in the house.

only been supporting charlton since the 80's.

• Options

If it wasnt for the world cup taking place in 66 he would have signed for spurs that year. West Ham fans play that one down. Pity he didnt play for a bigger club in the end really.

He also wanted to sign for Derby but wasnt allowed to leave. Played his last game for West Ham in their reserves.
    I dont WHU treated him as the national treasure then as they do now.
  • Options
    What a player. That tackle versus Brazil was amazing. Died way too young.
  • Options
    There is one footballer who played with Bobby Moore in an English league game and also has won a Premiership medal. Anyone know? It's not Kanu by the way.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Haha West Ham fans hate being reminded that he was on the verge of leaving were it not for the fact he had to be contracted to a club to play in '66.
    Not sure his relationship with them was healthy in his later years.
    Got banned from the ground i think for not paying for a ticket i think? Never went back after getting told he had to leave the ground.

Doesn't quite fit with West Ham's veneration of him since he died !
  • Options
    Riviera said:

There is one footballer who played with Bobby Moore in an English league game and also has won a Premiership medal. Anyone know? It's not Kanu by the way.....

Gordon Strachan?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Gordon Strachan?
    Hmmmmm......you'd be closer with Kanu!
  • Options

Absolute legend..only one of two men in English football history whose name is universally respected worldwide for sheer sporting class. (and the other one isn't Beckham)

Represents a more noble vision of the beautiful game before the pimps, tarts, TV moguls, agents, cheats, spivs and shysters took over.
  • Options
    Played a couple of games for Southend reserves when he was manager. Shook the great man's hand which is something I'll never forget. Harry Cripps was the coach of the reserves and we had to drop Bobby home after the game because had a drink driving ban and I was getting a ride home with 'Arry !!
  • Options
    In answer to Riviera...

I would say....Tony Gale
  • Options
    addicktom said:

In answer to Riviera...

I would say....Tony Gale

Well Googled! ;-)
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Balotelli?
  • Options
    addicktom said:

In answer to Riviera...

I would say....Tony Gale

Would never have guessed that!
  • Options
    Moore and Bobby Charlton were, in truth, our last two world class players. Only Gazza, all too briefly, threatened to get anywhere near that level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blucher said:

Moore and Bobby Charlton were, in truth, our last two world class players. Only Gazza, all too briefly, threatened to get anywhere near that level.

Gary Lineker was up there surely
  • Options
    Not Carlton Palmer?
  • Options
    Don't think Gale ever played in the first team at Fulham with Moore,it is my vague recollection that he replaced him as a teenager when the great man retired.
  • Options
    Lineker was a very fine international striker but I personally wouldn't put him in the world class category ( although England could certainly do with someone of his calibre at the moment )

• Options
    Lineker won the Golden Boot at the 86 World Cup, so was World Class at that particular time.
    Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton are in the greatest English players of all time category with Finney & Matthews.
    As for English goalscorers, Greaves & Owen(before his injury)are superior to Lineker as goalscorers. Both of those were more clinical & could score goals running the ball in from distance. Lineker was a penalty box scorer who relied on service.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Lineker was a very fine international striker but I personally wouldn't put him in the world class category ( although England could certainly do with someone of his calibre at the moment )

10 goals in 12 World Cup finals games won't be bettered by any modern English striker, if Gary Lineker was not world class in his best days - remembering his move to Barcelona in 1986 - then I don't know who is!!!
  • Options
    I think you'll find that Gary Lineker would never call himself a World Class footballer. Lineker was, and probably still is an excellent sportsman. He could have been a professional cricketer, he's a scratch golfer and I'm sure he could turn his hand to most things.
    What Lineker had as a great attribute was instinct. Something you cannot teach or learn. It is a gift. He just knew where to be and when. I doubt he scored many goals outside the box, I don't recall him ever taking a free-kick. For England he had wingers like Barnes and Waddle supplying him plus the likes of Beardsley and Gazza.
    A move to Barcelona in '86 counts for nothing. They were nowhere near the club they are today. They had never won the European Cup and had only won the Spanish title twice since 1960 when Lineker went there.
    Once Cruyff, a true world class player, took over from El Tel he pushed Lineker out on the right, rather than a central role and he soon came home.
    Great player for England, his style suited the team we had at the time, a team that was probably better that we realised and certainly under achieved.
  • Options
    You could argue they were robbed, both in 86 by Maradona and again in 90 by the linesman who flagged a John Barnes goal offside in ET, despite him being a clear yard onside (the grass was mown in a grid pattern, so it was very obvious he was onside, it's even arguable the ball was a square ball and not a forward pass). I think we would have struggled in 86, even if Maradona hadn't cheated, but 1990 I think we would have gone on to be Argentina in the final.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Blucher said:

Stanley Matthews?

Edit: Should've read the question properly!
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Ashley Cole.