Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swansea City AFC

BBC article on their success here (sorry did look for a Swansea thread)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-21512013

Are they the new role model club for us, once it was Leicester under Curbs? Or have they just got lucky?

Capital One Cup final: Swans fans at heart of club's successBy David Dulin

Sunday will mark another chapter in an eventful few years for Swansea City when they walk out at Wembley for their first major cup final.

Ten years ago, the club was struggling to survive financially and a last game of the season win saved them from being relegated out of the Football League.

But since then, their fortunes have completely changed and they are enjoying life in the top half of the Premier League.

And victory in the Capital One Cup final against League Two side Bradford City on Sunday will see the Swans playing European football next season.

The story of the club's rise from near oblivion is well known in football circles and many clubs look to the Swans as a role model of how to run a football club.

SWANSEA'S PROGRESS UNDER THE CURRENT OWNERS

2001/02: Rescued from brink of collapse. Captain Nick Cusack replaced manager Colin Addison.
2002/03: Cusack sacked, Brian Flynn kept Swansea in the Football League.
2003/04: Kenny Jackett replaced Brian Flynn.
2004/05: Promoted to League One in Jackett's first full season in as a manager and left the Vetch at the end of the campaign for the Liberty Stadium.
2005/06: Lost to Barnsley on penalties in League One play-off final. Won Football League trophy.
2006/07: Jackett replaced as manager by ex-captain Roberto Martinez.
2007/08: Martinez's first full season as a manager ends with promotion to the Championship after 24-year wait.
2008/09: Missed out on play-offs by six points. Knocked FA Cup holders Portsmouth out in fourth round. Martinez left to take over at Wigan.
2009/10: Paulo Sousa guided Swansea to within a point of the play-offs in his one season in charge before leaving for Leicester City.
2010/11: Won promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs in Brendan Rodgers' first full season as a manager.
2011/12: Swansea were the surprise package of the Premier League and finished 11th before Rodgers left for Liverpool.
2012/13: Michael Laudrup takes charge and the Swans continue to flourish. On Sunday, they play in their first major cup final.

There is no foreign billionaire owner on hand to help bring success. Instead it was a group of supporters who chipped in to rescue the club from the brink and to ensure it survived by living within its means.

Fans through the supporters' trust still own 20% of the club and have one supporter-director on the board, which is otherwise made up of local businessmen, also fans. No other Premier League club has this representation.

Huw Cooze is in his seventh year as a director on the board having swapped his season ticket for a seat in the directors box.

"It's a privileged position," the 51-year-old businessman said.

"In the first couple of months there were sceptics, they didn't know if they could trust me - I could feel that. No-one said anything but you could always feel that. They were careful what they were saying.

"I feel I know them now and there's nothing that I'm not aware of happening at this football club.

"Sometimes people will have a chat and I'm not privy to that conversation and I will pull people aside and say it isn't on.

"But I've got to be fair to our club board. They have embraced the concept of a supporters' director being on board.

"I don't know whether it's the fact the boys on the board are working class lads who've stood with me.

"It's not as if I've just met (chairman) Huw Jenkins or (director) Martin Morgan. I've known these guys for years. They were Swansea City fans first and foremost."

The Swans story began in August 2001 when a supporters trust was formed when the club was up for sale and struggling to find a new owner. The trust felt it was the way forward.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
In the first couple of months there were sceptics, they didn't know if they could trust me - I could feel that”
End Quote
Huw Cooze

Two months later, it was sold by the then-owner Mike Lewis to Australian-based businessman Tony Petty who in a turbulent three-month spell in charge, almost brought the club to its knees.

Supporters took to the streets in protest against Petty's running of the club as he attempted to sack seven players and two coaches, which the Professional Footballers' Association thwarted.

But a local consortium of supporters, headed by former director Mel Nurse, later battled to gain control of the club.

And on 24 January, 2002 - reportedly 24 hours before the club was set to go out of business - they ousted Petty.

Bucket collections

When that takeover was complete, the supporters trust raised funds to buy a stake in the club.

At the time Mr Cooze was involved with bucket collections and leafleting but admitted it was difficult to raise funds with crowds averaging just 3,000 and the club in the bottom tier of the Football League.

He was elected on to the supporters trust board later that year later and current Swans vice-chairman Leigh Dineen was on the club's board as the supporters representative.

Swans boss Michael Laudrup is aiming to outwit Bradford counterpart Phil Parkinson
Mr Dineen's company later bought a stake in the club, giving him his own place on the board, leaving a gap for the supporters which Mr Cooze was elected to fill in 2006.

"I'm involved in everything," he said. "I'm asked an opinion on everything. It's like any board of any company and it's run democratically. It's as simple as it can be.

"I've fought hard for certain issues for supporters and I've won some and I've lost some. I accept I can't win them all.

"I've got people out there who are listening and watching websites - I do it myself, I know Huw does and I know the others do. We're supporters. We know what supporters want but can't always give it."

He added: "I would say it's 100% the way forward and it's good to have a supporter who's fighting their corner but it's quite important as well to have the rest of the board who are supporters."

On the pitch, few would have expected success coming so quickly.

'Still ambitious'

Since 2003 when the Swans escaped relegation from the Football League, they have risen from the fourth tier to and are now an established Premier League side, which is one match away from Europe in its centenary season.

Swansea players celebrate beating Chelsea in the semi-final first leg
"We are still ambitious, we haven't got to our level," said Mr Cooze.

"Everyone thinks that's it, we're there just relax and enjoy it, have two or three seasons in the Premier League and accept the inevitable that we might get relegated.

"You talk to supporters two or three years ago and they'd say 'we're not ready for the Premier League, let's stay in the Championship a few seasons and get ourselves established'.

"But you've got to take that opportunity when it arises. It's the same now that we're not ready for Europe but if we're lucky enough to win on Sunday and the Europa League becomes a reality, we have to embrace it.

"I would love to see us in Europe but we've got to win on Sunday."

And he admits he may find it difficult not to celebrate in the directors box should the Swans beat Bradford.

"Sometimes you have to sit with your hands under your legs," he said. "But sometimes it's difficult like most recently against Chelsea in the semi-final."

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    feck em, shouldn't even be in an English league ;0)
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    Good luck Swansea this weekend
  • Options
    Must have a great scouting system to pick up their players for next to nothing.
  • Options
    Making their time in the premier count
  • Options
    Good for them. Theyre playing Bradford but manage to make themselves look like the plucky little undedog! Is this something to do with being Welsh?
  • Options
    Sorry ;0)
  • Options
    A series of inspired managerial appointments, compare and contrast to our own situation.
  • Options
    C'mon Bradford, I'm cheering Parky's boys.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to the swans
  • Options
    yep I'm with Bradford, would love to see them win it and Parky thoroughly desrves it.
  • Options
    Watched the Swans from 2004-2007 when I was at uni down there. Could get into the Vetch for a quid as a Uni student.

Love the City, some of the best days and memories of my life. Jack Army!
  • Options
    I hope Bradford win it for the story and romance of the thing but

What a better story bottom club in England 10 yrs ago

Then prem club and league cup winner
  • Options
    And in there 100th year
  • Options
    And your a jack
  • Options
    One of my best mates moved there from Charlton and has married a welsh bird and now they have a smashing little family, all the people I've met through them are excellent, and as wss says its a really good city, so ignoring Dougray Scott's infamous line in the great film 'Twin Town', it's actually not a 'pretty shitty city'

So for that reason, come on you Jacks.
  • Options
    A rare cup final where I want both teams to win rather than both teams to lose.
  • Options

Well done Swansea on winning the cup. Enjoy the moment, the great football and Europe.

Swansea lost over eight million pounds in the financial year ending May 11 (the year they were promoted to the EPL). Low gates by EPL standards mean that the club has either to over perform each year (not viable long term) or spend outside their means or a combination of both. If they wish to guarantee EPL survival in future years they will have to incur significant debt, which in my opinion they will struggle to pay back.

I suspect Swansea will inevitably drop out of the EPL. In theory they could drop back into the Championship debt free, in reality I suspect they find themselves in debt at that point. Someone will probably offer to buy the club, the supporters that have invested money to buy a share in their club will probably reluctantly relinquish their shares for peanuts accepting that new investment is for the best.

Whilst Swansea play decent football, this in itself is no guarantee of promotion out of the Championship. Had they remained in the Championship further debt seemed in my opinion likely.

Are Swansea a role model for us? In terms of style of football & continuity of philosophy of footballing style despite unavoidable managerial change, yes. In terms of finances, they probably have not found the solution but they may have the least worst answer.
  • Options
    If ML leaves... Surely Martinez return
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A series of inspired managerial appointments, compare and contrast to our own situation.

That's it. Martinez, Paulo Sousa, Rodgers & Laudrup. Four on the trot and all promoting the same style of play. That ain't lucky, that's insight & planning.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

If ML leaves... Surely Martinez return

Martinez's next move will be higher up the food chain
  • Options
    How come Swansea qualify for Europe when winning our League Cup but English teams like Shrewsbury, Hereford and Chester never could after winning the Welsh Cup? I've no idea, I'm merely wondering.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    thought it was a bit out of order not letting dyer take the penalty for his hatrick, he'd already scored 2 and won the penalty(with the keeper being sent off) and the swans were already 3-0 up,
  • Options
    god i hate those jack bastards!!!
  • Options
    I thought he should've just took the ball and taken the pen

Bang out of order the game was over , I mean who was the last player to s ore a hat trick in a major cup final
  • Options
    Pretty sure I saw a former cafc director shaking parkies hand as he walked up the stairs at the end
  • Options
    Nobody has ever done it in the League Cup final. Not sure about the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Bang out of order then should've given him the ball
  • Options
    If Dyer was a lump he'd have gotten the penalty but cos he's so small he was bulllied out of it
    Where/who was the captain on the pitch they should have stepped in
    Looked to me like the fella who scored the pen had a bet or something with team mates cos his over celebration for the 4th goal seemed a little odd and he got the 5th anyway
    Feel sorry for Dyer that was out of order from the fella who took the penalty away from him