Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton sign Jonathan Obika on loan (old thread, signed for Swindon)

edited September 2014 in General Charlton
Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP
#cafc sign Jonathan Obika on loan from Tottenham.

Comments

• Options
    Lets hope he does a job while here. Welcome to SE7.
  • Options
    Well we needed someone after BWP went. Don't know too much about him apart from that overhead. In the squad for tomorrow?
  • Options
    Let's hope it ends up being worthwhile and not another young loanie who falls out of favour quickly.
  • Options
    Response from nigels
  • Options
    2008– Tottenham Hotspur 0 (0)
    2009 → Yeovil Town (loan) 10 (4)
    2009–2010 → Yeovil Town (loan) 22 (6)
    2010 → Millwall (loan) 12 (2)
    2010–2011 → Crystal Palace (loan) 7 (0)
    2011 → Peterborough (loan) 1 (1)
    2011 → Swindon Town (loan) 5 (0)
    2011 → Yeovil Town (loan) 11 (3)
    2011–2012 → Yeovil Town (loan) 27 (4)

National team‡
    2008–2009 England U19 1 (0)
    2009 England U20 2 (0)
  • Options
    In fairness to Obika, he was at Palace in 2010, you'd like to think he's improved as a player since then.
  • Options
    cheap i guess and that seems to be the main concern these days.
  • Options
    why we bothering to sign him - unless we are getting paid to take him
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Lets just give the kid a chance
  • Options
    let me be the first to say...........I'm underwelmed !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope so. the fact Palace are laughing that hard does fill me with dread though. Hope he proves them all wrong.
  • Options
    I can't see how he will get anywhere near the first team as he's quite clearly no better ( on his record , much worse ) than Kermogant , Fuller or Haynes.
    Seems like a strange ( and cheap) loan signing .
  • Options
    Got a Spurs mate who thinks he's pony, was glad to get shot and doesn't think he'll return to Spurs!
  • Options

This. It looks like he needs to play regularly. At 22 he's whole career appears to have been a series of loans.
  • Options

You just don't get how CL works do you : - )

• Options
    Madz said:

I hope so. the fact Palace are laughing that hard does fill me with dread though. Hope he proves them all wrong.

It's hardly surprising they're laughing when they got Dobbie and Phillips in on loan, and we've got a kid with a goalscoring record that Carl leaburn would laugh at.
  • Options
    Lets give the lad a chance ffs. He's 21 right. Was 18/19 when at Palace so would be tough for him. At age 21 he should be a much more rounded player so don't take any notice of the stripey Nigel's. He's a Spurs player that they havn't released so they must see something. He has point to prove and good luck to him. Welcome John.
  • Options

Madz said:

It's hardly surprising they're laughing when they got Dobbie and Phillips in on loan, and we've got a kid with a goalscoring record that Carl leaburn would laugh at.
    Good point
  • Options

I can't see how he will get anywhere near the first team as he's quite clearly no better ( on his record , much worse ) than Kermogant , Fuller or Haynes.
    Seems like a strange ( and cheap) loan signing .

You're right and none of them ever get injured so don't see the point in this...

• Options
    I can remember another player that nobody wanted. Sometimes its only a matter of feeling part of something and people believing in you that brings out the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lets give the lad a chance ffs. He's 21 right. Was 18/19 when at Palace so would be tough for him. At age 21 he should be a much more rounded player so don't take any notice of the stripey Nigel's. He's a Spurs player that they havn't released so they must see something. He has point to prove and good luck to him. Welcome John.

Yep, let's give the lad a chance before we start the Leaburn comparisons lads eh?

BTW Carlo turned out just fine in my book anyway.
  • Options
    Spurs version of Yado Mambo, who I have been assured will one day be centre half for Barca, so welcome.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    He was 19 when at Palace in a team that finished just above the relegation places.

Since when do we listen to what them stripey Nigel c****s say anyway?
  • Options
    I obviously wish him well and as i said in an earlier post i've no doubt he has improved since his Palace days (he was only 18/19 then).

However he played in league one last season and only managed 4 goals in 28 games.
  • Options
    He scored two in two against us in L1 so IMO is a promising signing. Let's see how he does, I'm sure it'll be with a view to a permanent move.

In Powell we should trust.
  • Options
    The whole world is laughing at Palarse so f++k em.

He is cover i guess .

4 goals in 28 games in Div 1 -----jesus !!
  • Options
    Born in Enfield & cousin of Lemar.

I think he's an option for the bench, if you need a 6' forward to come on towards the end of a game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Obika
  • Options
    lets hope this isnt another leon clarke! anyway, in powell we trust.
  • Options
    would have been at Yeovil under Nathan Jones so he will know his character.

I'd guess he'll be out of contract in the summer and available on a free. We can have a look to see how he does and if it doesn't work then bye bye
  • Options
    Don't worry too much, it's just a look at him for now, I can't imagine for one minute there's a cast iron agreement to sign him after the loan.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!