Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pukka pies

In southern Spain and for the first time in perhaps 20 years bought a Pukka Pie. Cooked it and although no real filling, tasted really good. I think the last one I eat was at the Valley cira early 70s or is my memory losing it. When did you last try one?

Comments

• Prefer Pieminister.
  • Sounds like a northern pie to me. No real filling would seem to confirm this. Is it made in Sheffield near the Wed ground?
  • The Balti pies at Bristol City were awesome
  • dont get me started! You cant buy a pie at the Valley these days.
  • Say no to the steak slice
  • Pie I had at Hull was worst pie/slice I've ever had at a football match.
  • BDL said:

The Balti pies at Bristol City were awesome

Remember Walsall and Villa both having very good balti pies, too, at one time or another.
  • We did balti pies at the valley for a short time about 10 years ago - very nice too.
  • Did we ever pay for the unused pies at Blackburn in 1984?
  • Prefer Pieminister.

Pieminister are yummy.
    Did you know they are made in Charlton Road, Bristol ?
  • Sponsored links:

• How good are Pukka pies , i confess i've never eaten one , always been put off by packaging ( not that i'd eat it).
  • Prefer Pieminister.

Pieminister are yummy.
    Did you know they are made in Charlton Road, Bristol ?
    Surprisingly I did not!
  • I had a steak slice at the Valley against Birmingham.... I'm sure they could be done for false advertising. Do like Pukka pies though, Had one yesterday.
  • The worst pies I've ever had were Peters pies. They had a place in Greenwich in the 90's by the blackwall tunnel and I used to call in there regulary, as I used to service their vehicles. They would always offer me free pies and I would always politely tell them where to shove them. Tasted really pepperry, and I hate pepper.

Don't know if they're still going, not seen them in a while and they seemed to be in every chippy in the 90's.............
  • Peters pies are foul. And I like pepper.
  • Peter's Pies are really awful.

Made in Wales I believe....
  • Did we ever pay for the unused pies at Blackburn in 1984?

How much would they cost these days?

Chicken feed.
  • How good are Pukka pies , i confess i've never eaten one , always been put off by packaging ( not that i'd eat it).

The packaging used to be the best bit to eat, then chuck the pie. Now you cook the pie in the packaging, my missus went mental when she saw the pie, in plastic pack in the oven but honestly it tasted much better than I remembered

• Peters pies were the best cant believe the doubters on here. Stumble out of Zens, and up to the Royal Fish Bar on East Hill for a Peters Pie and chips. And the sausage rolls were much superior to others like Pork Farm etc
  • Sponsored links:

• This is so weird for me !
    I was watching the highlights of us v Leicester and when they equalise the advertising board was showing pukka pies , and i thought to myself when was the last time i had one !
    Came straight on here and @stevec read my mind , Weird !, for me anyway !
    http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12602_8512822,00.html 56seconds in !
    Also look out for rhoys wagstaff
  • rhoys wagstaff who is this mythical beast?
  • I used to love Four n Twenty pies in Australia. Anyone know if you can get them here?
  • I remember a Chicken Balti pie at WHL one year in the Prem, we lost 3-1 and the pie gave me the shits. Always avoid any form of Balti Pie now!!!!
  • Its been a low point of the season for me. I can take the lack of home wins, but the removal of pies is just too hard to bear. Considering not renewing.

A SLICE IS NOT A PIE !
  • Its been a low point of the season for me. I can take the lack of home wins, but the removal of pies is just too hard to bear. Considering not renewing.

A SLICE IS NOT A PIE !

Indeed. Sat there cold and miserable a nice, hot, succulent balti pie was something to look forward to and could switch a crap mood into a great one. So often that has been my day's highlight.

Now though I feel lonely, deprived and desperate. Leicester's were crap whilst Hull don't even bother with them. I'm sorry also, I have to admit I gave Palace the money for one but what else is a drunken football fan to do when he can't get his fix?

I am however, looking forward to Huddersfield's. Was an absolute belter up there last year, even have seasoning on the top. That one definitely made my top 3, will be doubling up this time.

• Hollands pies are nice. Best pie I had at football was at Rochdale, a local butcher used to make them fresh on match day. Bloomin' wonderful!
  • Considering recent food news I'd be very weary of any mass produced pie.
  • edited February 2013
    Riviera said:

Considering recent news I'd be very weary of any mass produced pie.

Indeed.

I put the story of a pie carrying out a sexual assault when it was dropped off a fork onto a ladies lap during the 70s down to a rogue pie, but the recent one about the steak n kidney ruthlessly shooting its model chicken n mushroom partner (recently featured in FHM - Fat and Hungry Munchers) stone dead, well its got me questioning the whole lot of em.

• Thank you Paul Merton!