Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

From The Sun: Paul Elliott in 'race row' with Richard Rufus

Comments

• I don't really like the guy but I find it a shame that his career is probably over because of one moment of stupidity.
  • "...I used a term which is widely known as being derogatory to my own community..."

Not widely known by everyone then?
  • I don't really like the guy but I find it a shame that his career is probably over because of one moment of stupidity.

I don't think his career is over. I bet he goes on to do media work.
  • Black man subject to vile racist abuse.

So wheres the black lawyers society/rio ferdinand/doreen lawrence etc etc???
  • JTJT
    edited February 2013
    World has gone mad.

You won't be able to legally look at anyone soon
  • SE9SE9
    edited February 2013

StigMember

2:19AM

"...I used a term which is widely known as being derogatory to my own community..."

"my own community"???? I'm guessing by that he means the black community? And what If I had said in my own community (being white)? Im sure I would not be allowed to say that as its not PC.

Also why is Paul Elliott allowed into the Valley when he has used racist language in private to another person and that said person was offended? I'm sure a few years after Stephen lawerance's death the 5 suspects were barred from the Valley presumably after the undercover filming of them using racial language in private where nobody in that group was offended.

• He critisces rufus for publicising it?

Maybe Paul, he was highly offended that someone should call him that, and the fact that that person was given an CBE for anti racist work and represented anti racist organisations, perhaps he thought the world should know about your double standards, it's ok to call someone a n***** as long as they don't tell anyone you said it, feck off you fud.
  • SE9 said:

StigMember

2:19AM

"...I used a term which is widely known as being derogatory to my own community..."

"my own community"???? I'm guessing by that he means the black community? And what If I had said in my own community (being white)? Im sure I would not be allowed to say that as its not PC.

Also why is Paul Elliott allowed into the Valley when he has used racist language in private to another person and that said person was offended? I'm sure a few years after Stephen lawerance's death the 5 suspects were barred from the Valley presumably after the undercover filming of them using racial language in private where nobody in that group was offended.

Call me pedantic but I think stabbing someone to death is just a bit more serious than sending someone a racist text.

Two of the charming gents involved have been sent down for the murder and the other three have a potential multi-million pound libel win against The Daily Mail for calling them murderers on the front page - all they need to do is prove they did not murder Lawrence.

I just can't think why they haven't sued the paper yet......
  • Sponsored links:

• Not many of his " black community" live with him in Keton Park. Another person found out for being a fraud and making money through false pretences. "Well done Rufus"..........haven't unttered them words since May 1998.
  • Send the club a racist post on their comments page, see how long it takes you to get banned from the Valley.
  • The white community is revolted by this !!
  • I've just had Black farmers sausages for breakfast, yum.
  • All you need is love.
  • It does take up a different meaning when it is between two black people -can't see how this can be argued. Having said that, it was still unprofessional and nasty and Elliot should apologise.

Rufus is a Charlton great and a very decent human being to boot so story was quite shocking to me.
  • What words can we use in just the white community?
  • It does take up a different meaning when it is between two black people -can't see how this can be argued.

Tosh
  • edited February 2013
    It isn't tosh - it isn't the word in itself but the sentiment behind it that is offensive. It is impossible for a black man who uses the word to have the same sentiment as he is in effect being nasty about himself too.

If Elton John calls Dale Winton a Raging Queer, it is less offensive than if I was to do so.

Of course we all like to get up in arms against political
    correctness, and I do agree Elliot should have had more class than to use the word. But there is nothing wrong with trying to think and understand things through and not be walking versions of the Daily Mail or the Sun. There are subtleties in life.
  • masicat said:

Not many of his " black community" live with him in Keton Park. Another person found out for being a fraud and making money through false pretences. "Well done Rufus"..........haven't unttered them words since May 1998.

Being very pedantic here Masicat, but April 2003 surely?
  • Sponsored links:

• It isn't tosh - it isn't the word in itself but the sentiment behind it that is offensive. It is impossible for a black man who uses the word to have the same sentiment as he is in effect being nasty about himself too.

If Elton John calls Dale Winton a Raging Queer, it is less offensive than if I was to do so.

correctness, and I do agree Elliot should have had more class than to use the word. But there is nothing wrong with trying to think and understand things through and not be walking versions of the Daily Mail or the Sun. There are subtleties in life.

You're splitting hairs. If its regarded as a racist term, then it's a racist term no matter where it comes from!
  • edited February 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

It isn't tosh - it isn't the word in itself but the sentiment behind it that is offensive. It is impossible for a black man who uses the word to have the same sentiment as he is in effect being nasty about himself too.

You're splitting hairs. If its regarded as a racist term, then it's a racist term no matter where it comes from!
    It's obviously the hypocrisy of Elliot that is the biggest factor. If Dr Dre wants to use the words 20 times a verse then that's one thing, but someone who has earnt a living setting themselves up as a bastian of anti racism is quite another.
  • edited February 2013
    I agree - not saying Elliot wasn't wrong - just don't like the he used it, why can't we mentality - misses the point and infuriates me. When black people use the word it means something different to them - it is still inappropriate and nasty and they shouldn't use it though.

If a racist uses a racist term it is different from a non racist using it. I doubt Elliot is a racist very much. A non racist who campaigns against racism should set a better example though.
  • If a racist uses a racist term it is different from a non racist using it. I doubt Elliot is a racist very much. A non racist who campaigns against racism should set a better example though.

Utter nonsense
  • I agree - not saying Elliot wasn't wrong - just don't like the he used it, why can't we mentality - misses the point and infuriates me. When black people use the word it means something different to them - it is still inappropriate and nasty and they shouldn't use it though.

If a racist uses a racist term it is different from a non racist using it. I doubt Elliot is a racist very much. A non racist who campaigns against racism should set a better example though.

So if the Millwall racist had been black it would have been alright & he wouldn't have been arrested then?

• But dale winton is a raging queer
  • just don't like the he used it, why can't we mentality - misses the point and infuriates me.

...or how about nobody uses it to stop any confusion
  • nolly said:

But dale winton is a raging queer

"I'll put him down as a definite probable queer then"
  • I agree - not saying Elliot wasn't wrong - just don't like the he used it, why can't we mentality - misses the point and infuriates me. When black people use the word it means something different to them - it is still inappropriate and nasty and they shouldn't use it though.

I know black people who despise the use of the word, by anyone.
  • Yes, that would be the best policy - I shouldn't have made the point I did because behind the point is the reaction I knew I would get - Really thinking about things and trying to apply some understanding is clearly not advisable in this society. We love to get angry. I have never said Elliot was right btw.