Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

From The Sun: Paul Elliott in 'race row' with Richard Rufus

Comments

• madadd said:

cafctom said:

Wonder what on earth happened there....

On a side note, I can't f***ing stand it when that word is used and then 'justified' because it is between two black people.

This.... totally agree with the side note...its an ugly word from the fifties and the sooner it gets banished by everyone regardless of race/colour/nationality, the better!
    Or just don't get offended by it. One of my mates has had it when we were out up north once, he just turned around & asked "yeah, & so what if I am"?, the pillock just went "er...." and walked off with his tail between his legs. Getting outdated words said to him doesn't bother him so much....it's the looks & shifty glances from people that get at him. If they are in a shop and the owner takes a greater interest in their actions or isn't as friendly, or if they are walking through a fairly white area and they get the sideward glances as if to say what's a black man doing around here, is when he realises people still notice his colour and are making judgements in private to themselves.

• madadd said:

cafctom said:

On a side note, I can't f***ing stand it when that word is used and then 'justified' because it is between two black people.

This.... totally agree with the side note...its an ugly word from the fifties and the sooner it gets banished by everyone regardless of race/colour/nationality, the better!
    Or just don't get offended by it. One of my mates has had it when we were out up north once, he just turned around & asked "yeah, & so what if I am"?, the pillock just went "er...." and walked off with his tail between his legs. Getting outdated words said to him doesn't bother him so much....it's the looks & shifty glances from people that get at him. If they are in a shop and the owner takes a greater interest in their actions or isn't as friendly, or if they are walking through a fairly white area and they get the sideward glances as if to say what's a black man doing around here, is when he realises people still notice his colour and are making judgements in private to themselves.

This, people give the power to the word by the way they react to it. I still wouldn't use it, but if a black person called me a honkey or cracker I wouldn't really care. I know it's not the same, but still.
  • I'm not offended by it, but I'm offended by the constant double standards it reeks of.
  • madadd said:

cafctom said:

This, people give the power to the word by the way they react to it. I still wouldn't use it, but if a black person called me a honkey or cracker I wouldn't really care. I know it's not the same, but still.
    I'm curious to know why you dont think its the same?

A racial insult is a racial insult
  • This thread is laughable. Yes of course Elliott shouldn't have said what he said - the Bill Cosby vid illustrated the reasons why perfectly, and it undermines his role as well - but it's turned into a "I like Rufus more than I do Elliott" kind of gig.

For me both are in our top five all time defenders. We didn't have Elliot as long as I'd have liked but when the chairman thread was going on it was all about how he was 'one of our own' etc.

Who knows what Rufus did, who knows why Elliott reacted in the way he did. More to the point, who really cares?
  • DA9 said:

madadd said:

cafctom said:

Whilst this is true its about history and where the power lies. White American and White British can sling insults at each other and it will be different because of the more equal historical balance of power. This does not exist when it involves slurs against black and ethnic minorities. The same could be said of White Americans using derogatory words for White Hispanics.
  • DRF said:

DA9 said:

madadd said:

cafctom said:

Whilst this is true its about history and where the power lies. White American and White British can sling insults at each other and it will be different because of the more equal historical balance of power. This does not exist when it involves slurs against black and ethnic minorities. The same could be said of White Americans using derogatory words for White Hispanics.
    Straight from the school of youtube ranting nutjobs who believe black people are not capable of racism due to the alleged lack of economic power.

About 25+ years ago, I worked with a black girl from St Lucia, she told me that West Indian/Jamaican people were very racist towards African blacks, she even used to call one of the electricians who worked on site, who was black, a coconut, because he wasnt black enough in attitude for her liking, whatever the feck that means.
  • DA9 said:

DRF said:

DA9 said:

madadd said:

cafctom said:

Straight from the school of youtube ranting nutjobs who believe black people are not capable of racism due to the alleged lack of economic power.

About 25+ years ago, I worked with a black girl from St Lucia, she told me that West Indian/Jamaican people were very racist towards African blacks, she even used to call one of the electricians who worked on site, who was black, a coconut, because he wasnt black enough in attitude for her liking, whatever the feck that means.
    There's an awful lot of racist attitudes - on both sides - between Africans and West Indians. I've seen it first hand.

Mind you, there's also a lot of racist attitudes between some Africans and other Africans, or some West Indians and other West Indians (nobody likes the Jamaicans, apparently). And for that matter, a lot of racist attitudes amongst different white Europeans (the french, anyone?). People in Asia are known for it as well against certain other groups/castes.

My conclusion? Broadly speaking, humans in general have a habit of turning against anyone who is not "one of their own", which can often surface as racist attitudes or acts. I don't believe that any one generic group has a monopoly on holding such views.

I believe it has been that way for a few years. Might be wrong though.
  • DRFDRF
    edited February 2013
    I agrre that both of these things happen and all are racists and you'll note that I talked about white people being 'racists for want of a better word' towards other whites.

The one constant is the power. One nationality, race, tribe or group have it, or are percieved to have more of it, than the other group.

None of it is good, none of it is fair. And two wrongs have never made a right.
  • I have met Paul E. loads of times and he has been to my house to spend time with my family. I 'take as you find' and he has always been a very nice guy, but I have never fecked him off over a business deal I suppose!
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:

DA9 said:

DRF said:

DA9 said:

madadd said:

cafctom said:

There's an awful lot of racist attitudes - on both sides - between Africans and West Indians. I've seen it first hand.

Mind you, there's also a lot of racist attitudes between some Africans and other Africans, or some West Indians and other West Indians (nobody likes the Jamaicans, apparently). And for that matter, a lot of racist attitudes amongst different white Europeans (the french, anyone?). People in Asia are known for it as well against certain other groups/castes.

My conclusion? Broadly speaking, humans in general have a habit of turning against anyone who is not "one of their own", which can often surface as racist attitudes or acts. I don't believe that any one generic group has a monopoly on holding such views.

you can even narrow it down to the postcode wars in some parts of London.
  • DRF said:

I agrre that both of these things happen and all are racists and you'll note that I talked about white people being 'racists for want of a better word' towards other whites.

The one constant is the power. One nationality, race, tribe or group have it, or are percieved to have more of it, than the other group.

None of it is good, none of it is fair. And two wrongs have never made a right.

I'm talking about it at its basic lowest common denominator, skin colour, matters not if you have power, or have jack sh**, everybody is capable of racism, for PE to dismiss it as ok if its between two black people beggars belief.
  • Off_it said:

DA9 said:

DRF said:

DA9 said:

madadd said:

cafctom said:

Some of the worst stuff I've witnessed was sikh v muslim and the jibes/jokes/banter/abuse between different african backgrounds and west indian backgrounds would make many reel in shock if a white person were to say it.

Nigerian parents are strict & disciplined, others are tearaways, Somalians are hated by all, West Indians are lazy etc etc heard all this between a group of school kids who got on at Lee a few years ago, having a go at eachother about where they came from etc.

• Just heard that FA have sacked PE from his role within the FA.
  • PaulCAFC said:

Just heard that FA have sacked PE from his role within the FA.

On the radio they said his resignation has been accepted from all posts with in the FA and UEFA including kick it out. Wonder how this affect his position on the CATrust
  • The FA ‏@FA
    The FA has today accepted the resignation of Paul Elliott from all roles representing the organisation: http://bit.ly/UU7AMd
  • I'm guessing mRufus won't be getting a Christmas card this year
  • Swisdom said:

I'm guessing mRufus won't be getting a Christmas card this year

He might ping him a festive text.....
  • Saw him at the Valley today going into reception.
  • edited February 2013
    Who the racist or the knocker ?:)
  • Sponsored links:

• Barton (I know he can't talk) tearing into him on twitter a minute ago
  • edited February 2013
    Ok the first one :)
  • nolly said:

Were you there nolly?
  • Off_it said:

nolly said:

Were you there nolly?
    Was jibbing the train up to Boro.
  • Off_it said:

nolly said:

Were you there nolly?
    Was jibbing the train up to Boro.
    Figures
  • Smooth Radio news at 7 reporting PE resigned after a spat with former CHELSEA player Richard Rufus. Jeez, I give up.
  • Hope he resigned earlier in the week and it has only just been announced. Shocking comment from someone in that role
  • When can we expect his resignation from cafc
  • Judging by his grasp of the English language he probably thought it meant something else. Should the police not be involved now?