Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

From The Sun: Paul Elliott in 'race row' with Richard Rufus

Comments

• some girl in a uni workshop used the term "black community". She's a muppet anyway, but I loathe people saying things like black community and white community, in the words of Tupac Shakur "It's not about black or white cos we're human".

Back to the thread, it does sound like Elliot's pissed off a sun journo...To quote another famous person, Al Pacino "If you said 'AL! I know what you did last night!' I would jump, because we're all guilty". Dig deep enough and you can discredit just about anyone.

Don't get this, Elliot (if true) has used a word that he campaigns to be stamped out of the game. Don't see how a sun journo has spun anything from it, it's in a message for people to see.
  • Its not about being spun mate its about how it got out and why that paper
  • Surely after all the cheating and lying over Hillsborough , how can you take seriously anything that rag publishes?
  • yes should have been in Voice.
  • yes should have been in Voice.

That would give us a more balanced view.

• some girl in a uni workshop used the term "black community". She's a muppet anyway, but I loathe people saying things like black community and white community, in the words of Tupac Shakur "It's not about black or white cos we're human".

Back to the thread, it does sound like Elliot's pissed off a sun journo...To quote another famous person, Al Pacino "If you said 'AL! I know what you did last night!' I would jump, because we're all guilty". Dig deep enough and you can discredit just about anyone.

Do you really believe that a journo, regardless of which paper they wrote for would make this up, in the era of Leveson, mobile hacking, Hillsborough revelations etc.

He said it, or rather, as Beasley points out on his twitter, he wrote it, no spin, no witch hunt, he did it, double standards and stunning hypocrisy from yet another so called race relations hero, just like that numb nuts rio fuckwit, in their deluded world only white people can be racist, they can say what the feck they want.
  • Maybe a property deal gone wrong as I know PE is/was in that game.

what an idiot for using that word - surely any thoughts of PFA Chairmanship or a bigger role at Charlton are now history.

Ah yes, of course, that great philosopher, Tupac Shakur. !

Is it an anagram ?
  • I agree DA9 that it has been said I also agree with the other points you make

I am just intrigued by it all as to who how why and what for

Its an interesting case that if I am being honest I think is led by those who just feels that lip service has been paid by those in current positions and the moves to get them moved are under way
  • I'm not saying the journos made it up, I'm saying dig deep enough and you can find dirt on everyone. Not saying Elliot is absolved of blame, he's just not really top of the people in the sports world to discredit is he?
  • Sponsored links:

• They both seem good blokes from my brief meetings with them.

I suspect there is more to emerge here.
  • I'm not saying the journos made it up, I'm saying dig deep enough and you can find dirt on everyone. Not saying Elliot is absolved of blame, he's just not really top of the people in the sports world to discredit is he?

Anyone who proports to champion an anti racist cause, and then makes said comments, whether they are PE, an office administrator or a toilet cleaner deserves to be discredited, his position in the sports world is irrelevant, he's a hypocrite and self promoter.

Super cool post.

• Certainly seems a strange one.

I reckon Steve Jones is at the root of this somewhere.
  • I thought there were 2 N words, one ending in 'a', the other 'er', which distinguished between an offensive meaning & a friendly greeting? Seemingly introduced in 'gangsta' rap during the late 80's/early 90's? Further entrenched by 2PAC's Strictly 4 My N and his description of the word.

For a slightly different take on it, Rhyme Asylum's The N Word for a more positive use of N words...
  • DA9 said:

some girl in a uni workshop used the term "black community". She's a muppet anyway, but I loathe people saying things like black community and white community, in the words of Tupac Shakur "It's not about black or white cos we're human".

Do you really believe that a journo, regardless of which paper they wrote for would make this up, in the era of Leveson, mobile hacking, Hillsborough revelations etc.

He said it, or rather, as Beasley points out on his twitter, he wrote it, no spin, no witch hunt, he did it, double standards and stunning hypocrisy from yet another so called race relations hero, just like that numb nuts rio fuckwit, in their deluded world only white people can be racist, they can say what the feck they want.
    Hang on, a few years ago a journalist from The Voice I think wrote an article for The Sun accusing Millwall fans of chanting sieg heil in their thousands.

Clearly when Millwall fans & the true perpetrators, Brighton fans, flooded the Sun with the truth that they were chanting 'seagulls' they had to print a full apology.

Only on Friday, the Telegraph run a quote about 1985 from an anonymous Millwall fan spouting the biggest loads of bullshit. Further they quoted the Andrew Woods book, No One Likes Us, for other views of the day. That book is fraud, Andrew Woods isn't Millwall and nobody spoke to him for the book.

Papers make up countless lies, they twist, they hide, exaggerate, withhold, connive, the lot. They may not be lying in this case but don't say they wouldn't!
  • DA9 said:

some girl in a uni workshop used the term "black community". She's a muppet anyway, but I loathe people saying things like black community and white community, in the words of Tupac Shakur "It's not about black or white cos we're human".

Hang on, a few years ago a journalist from The Voice I think wrote an article for The Sun accusing Millwall fans of chanting sieg heil in their thousands.

Clearly when Millwall fans & the true perpetrators, Brighton fans, flooded the Sun with the truth that they were chanting 'seagulls' they had to print a full apology.

Only on Friday, the Telegraph run a quote about 1985 from an anonymous Millwall fan spouting the biggest loads of bullshit. Further they quoted the Andrew Woods book, No One Likes Us, for other views of the day. That book is fraud, Andrew Woods isn't Millwall and nobody spoke to him for the book.

Papers make up countless lies, they twist, they hide, exaggerate, withhold, connive, the lot. They may not be lying in this case but don't say they wouldn't!
    A bit like Darkus Howe's 90's documentary down the Valley, showing St Georges flags with N F on them, shame the camera didn't pan out so you could see the F C at the bottom!
  • A private dispute between two men who once played for Charlton, nothing more.
  • Rufus played for Charlton, Elliot turned out for Charlton. RR one of my all time favourites at the valley, Elliot one of the all time cocks.
  • What's he done? Sworn at a comedy dinner or something?
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:

Theres hearsay, and a journos opinion of what he heard or saw, but this is appears to be hard proof in text form, which Elliott has not denied but tried to defend, deflect and twist
  • I'm shocked people still buy that sh*t.
  • DRFDRF
    edited February 2013

DA9 said:

New Nation not the Voice:
    http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/Press_Coverage5.htm

"Theres hearsay, and a journos opinion of what he heard or saw, but this is appears to be hard proof in text form, which Elliott has not denied but tried to defend, deflect and twist"

I assume you have seen the 'proof' then, and haven't just read a journalists opinion of what was contained in a text message...
  • This doesn't affect the white community thankfully
  • Didn't Elliott sue a fellow player? He failed from what I remember.
  • Riviera said:

Didn't Elliott sue a fellow player? He failed from what I remember.

Probably
  • DRF said:

DA9 said:

New Nation not the Voice:
    http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/Press_Coverage5.htm

"Theres hearsay, and a journos opinion of what he heard or saw, but this is appears to be hard proof in text form, which Elliott has not denied but tried to defend, deflect and twist"

I assume you have seen the 'proof' then, and haven't just read a journalists opinion of what was contained in a text message...
    No, but when approached by the journalist, Elliott did not deny sending it, he tried to defend it by saying it was in context of some sort, then tried to say that as it was between two black men it was ok to say it/type it. The text exists, which the journo has, Elliott admits he sent it but is back peddling trying to justify the contents and words used.
  • i find the word c++ts offensive unless its directed at the Smallwall Community
  • Riviera said:

Didn't Elliott sue a fellow player? He failed from what I remember.

Yes, Dean Saunders. I was working in Fleet St at the time and used to go to the high court to watch some of the sessions. Best bit was seeing Gary Birtles get riped to shreds on the stand. Lost his temper at one point and had to be told to answer the questions by the judge.
  • edited February 2013
    cafctom said:

Wonder what on earth happened there....

On a side note, I can't f***ing stand it when that word is used and then 'justified' because it is between two black people.

This.... totally agree with the side note...its an ugly word from the last century and the sooner it gets banished by everyone regardless of race/colour/nationality, the better!