Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

From The Sun: Paul Elliott in 'race row' with Richard Rufus

Comments

• Options
    Elliot has never been the same since ET went home.................
  • Options
    masicat said:

As Elliot would say.." I have alluded to this misdemeanour consistently excruciating and plausible as expressional circumstances proliferating concurrently " .....

I concur disproportionately.

• Options

Must admit, i always cringe when i see Paul Elliott interviewed - just comes over as someone who likes to use all the big words without actually understanding what they mean- almost as if he's just read all the long words in the dictionary.
    Know what i mean Arry.?

Totally agree, its as if someone has bought him a dictionary and blanked out the meanings.

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Must admit, i always cringe when i see Paul Elliott interviewed - just comes over as someone who likes to use all the big words without actually understanding what they mean- almost as if he's just read all the long words in the dictionary.
    Know what i mean Arry.?

Totally agree, its as if someone has bought him a dictionary and blanked out the meanings.

I first thought exactly this when he commentated on C4 on Football Italian, it was like he had learnt 10 new words pre game and was determined to use them!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    the sheriff is a nit
  • Options
    Said it before about Elliott, and his recollections of alleged racist events in his time at celtic, all proved wrong by facts and dates, the man is a fud using the race relations industry for his own gain.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Said it before about Elliott, and his recollections of alleged racist events in his time at celtic, all proved wrong by facts and dates, the man is a fud using the race relations industry for his own gain.

Yep that was bad
  • Options
    There's probably still folk who'd like to see him in some sort of position at Charlton though!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

DA9 said:

Yep that was bad
    It was ok apparently as it was in context and between two black men.

Absolutely stunning arrogance and double standards, wonder how Clark Carlisle is going to react and comment on this one, or will he sit on his hands like he did regards his lies about his time at celtic?

• Options
    On Twitter Rob Beasley is saying that there is plenty more to come out on this.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know that Rob Beasley has been sent the dossier on Elliotts runnymead speech in scotland I have mentioned, basically proving he lied about certain things he said happened.
  • Options
    Sounds like elliot has upset people and there is now an effort to tarnish his name

• Options
    DA9 said:

I know that Rob Beasley has been sent the dossier on Elliotts runnymead speech in scotland I have mentioned, basically proving he lied about certain things he said happened.

Go to his Twitter feed, he has even spoken to Elliott himself and Beasley says big question marks on Elliott in his anti racism role.
  • Options

Sounds like elliot has upset people and there is now an effort to tarnish his name

seems to be doing a decent job himself

• Options
    Thing is i dont know him or anything about him only what others say

Someone told me on here he is a quality bloke

He seems to have upset the press which intrests me as he has often used them as his vehicle for his agenda

The other interesting bit is richard rufus's part in all this

The quiet man of charlton who was a great player loyal to the bone but you never heard of whilst playing and even less when he retired

Just makes you question what the agenda is and why and how they will get to it
  • Options
    I absolutely hate that word. It as it has always been rotten to its core and should be consigned to the dustbin.

It strikes me that the only people that do use it do so in a way that is itself exclusive and divisive. It cannot be reclaimed because their is no positive history to be reclaimed. When the people who use it with their mates turn it on their enemies, they clearly demonstrate this. They only use it to shock and to make others feel uncomfortable; if in their minds it's users see some good from using the n-word they are sorely misguided.

If the report in The Sun is true, Elliot should hang his head in shame. But then, we've seen a lot of odd stuff in the Sun so I'm not taking it at face value [I've done an internet search, but so far the only other reports seem to be cut and paste jobs. Nothing credible].
  • Options

Elliot always comes across as if the world owes him something, bit of an arrogant man.

Don't know if Rufus has f*cked him over, but he will always be a Charlton legend.

Precisely !!!
  • Options
    Stig said:

I absolutely hate that word. It as it has always been rotten to its core and should be consigned to the dustbin.

It strikes me that the only people that do use it do so in a way that is itself exclusive and divisive. It cannot be reclaimed because their is no positive history to be reclaimed. When the people who use it with their mates turn it on their enemies, they clearly demonstrate this. They only use it to shock and to make others feel uncomfortable; if in their minds it's users see some good from using the n-word they are sorely misguided.

If the report in The Sun is true, Elliot should hang his head in shame. But then, we've seen a lot of odd stuff in the Sun so I'm not taking it at face value [I've done an internet search, but so far the only other reports seem to be cut and paste jobs. Nothing credible].

http://oldco.coplandroad.org/#444641

A copy of this was sent to Clark Carlisle, who said he would approach Elliott regards the glaring detail errors, which IMO do not merely come across as memory loss from a long career, but blatant lies to big up his credentials.
    No response from Carlisle to date.
  • Options
    It was used to offend so therefore racist imo.
  • Options
    Didnt St Rio get away with laughing when someone called Cole a choc Ice ? he said it was ok "as we is all black init" or urban words to that effect.

Just banter
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    48 years old and he's still using 'bad man' talk.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Personally, I think the story should have been about PE threatening to ruin someone

"Ur a stupid man n*****” then added: “You dog. Ur history my friend.”

The row ended with Elliott, recently made a CBE for services to equality and diversity in the game, warning: “This will follow you scumbag.”

The fact at he used that word just makes him look like a bigger **** imho
  • Options
    I am very disappointed by this.

Henry Irving is right you cannot justify the word in whatever context and the fact that it was members of the Charlton family involved who were probably the two best centre backs that have come through our Academy/Colts /Youth system makes me feel quite depressed.

I was someone who liked the idea of Paul Elliott for Chairman.Now I am not so sure.To use part of the phrase he used I am afraid this will follow you Paul.
  • Options
    Firstly I met Paul Elliott last year. He was very friendly, polite and erudite. He was extremely passionate about Chris Powell, Charlton, Richard Murray and Peter Varney.

I know some people really don't like him - that's abundantly clear in this thread and in previous messages about him potentially becoming our chairman. I person ally thought he was a nice chap.

I wasn't exactly aware of the in's and out's of the previous racism scandal so will maybe take a read on that later

Interesting that someone pointed out he seems to have annoyed someone in the press - that was my first instinct to explain how this had gotten out into the public domain.......I wonder if he pissed someone off at the club and they are moving to discredit him.

PS - I'm reliably informed that the term "nigga" actually means friends in the black community. Judging by the asterisks it appears he's adopted the "er" suffix which is unforgivable. Either way - if there is more to this then I expect it will rumble on for a while

• Options
    Wonder what rufus knocked him for
  • Options
    what is the "black community" ?
  • Options
    It's like the white community but black gh
  • Options
    Ta Nolly.

What happens if your mixed race ? do you stay in one community a few days a week then the other for the rest of the week?

• Options
    some girl in a uni workshop used the term "black community". She's a muppet anyway, but I loathe people saying things like black community and white community, in the words of Tupac Shakur "It's not about black or white cos we're human".

Back to the thread, it does sound like Elliot's pissed off a sun journo...To quote another famous person, Al Pacino "If you said 'AL! I know what you did last night!' I would jump, because we're all guilty". Dig deep enough and you can discredit just about anyone.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I would still like to no the full details or at least anything more then a minor piece in the sun but he is clearly in the wrong as he is using the word as an insult, that being said i disagree that words, symbols and whatever else can't be changed, to rob them of their hate but PE has clearly set that process back by using it in the way he has.

I have lost a lot of respect possibly any respect for him over this, as the times have met him, i have really liked him and can echo the love he has for Charlton & SCP.