Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

From The Sun: Paul Elliott in 'race row' with Richard Rufus

Comments

• BIG_ROB said:

A leading light in kick racism out of football has called another person a ni**er, what else is there to know?

Exactly , no excuse for it from someone who should know better.

• If true Elliott should be "kicked out" of anything connected with our great club, including the trust.
  • Have to laugh at some regular posters on this thread who bend over backwards to defend and excuse racist language or remarks (what was that Gary Dobson song again?) When used by people they like but jump on racist lanaguage when its a black person using it.

Was Elliot wrong? Absolutely. It wrong if he says it, if Terry says it or if Charlton fans sing it.

No excuses for Elliot but it doesn't make it OK for white racists to use the word either

Terry never said it though did he Henry Of Bromley
  • Whats wrong in calling someone a 'nutter' ?
  • BIG_ROB said:

A leading light in kick racism out of football has called another person a ni**er, what else is there to know?

Did it definately happen ? Why are people just accepting something written by that paper ?

If he has said it though I'd imagine it makes position at Kick it Out untenable
  • Rufus is, and always will be a Charlton Legend. Elliott is a Charlton Nobody, end of.
  • se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Did it definately happen ? Why are people just accepting something written by that paper ?

If he has said it though I'd imagine it makes position at Kick it Out untenable
    People are obviously making comments on the assumption that the story is true
  • TEAM RUFUS !!!!
  • Dog.
  • can't see how you can justify the use of that word just because it is between two black men. if it is an offensive racist term then it's an offensive racist term, end of.
  • Sponsored links:

• JT said:

Dog.

yes, charming too.
  • How has this story even got out?! A text message exchange. Seems very odd.
  • You would imagine that the leak came from Rufus but there must be more to this story.

I appreciate that in black culture it has become accepted to use that word to each other but I find it completely disgusting, just shows their complete ignorance for their own history.

Bill Cosby sums it up best here, the whole clip is worth watching but the bit regarding the N-word is at 2.50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itWCvkK44lE
  • Don't understand why it's OK for a black person to use the N word but it becomes completely offensive if I use it, which I wouldn't. Paul Elliot has always had plenty to say for himself always comes across as a big mouth.
  • Don't understand why it's OK for a black person to use the N word but it becomes completely offensive if I use it, which I wouldn't. Paul Elliot has always had plenty to say for himself always comes across as a big mouth.

Not sure about big mouth, but I have always felt that Elliott reckoned himself to be a lot smarter than he actually is, that's only from seeing him on TV could be different in the flesh.
  • Rob Beasley the journalist has said on twitter that Paul Elliot sent the message on to other people so not neccesarily from Rufus.
  • Very suprised by this story , especially as it comes from the sun!
    Would like to know if its true or not as I know that Rufus' son posts on here sometimes
  • redcarter said:

Rob Beasley the journalist has said on twitter that Paul Elliot sent the message on to other people so not neccesarily from Rufus.

Wow, Elliott clearly not the brightest bloke in the world if he sent the texts to other people - might as well have just put it on Twitter himself!
  • What's even worse is the fact that Rufus is still only 38 and could probably still be playing. Seems a lifetime ago he had to pack up.

This. I couldn't believe it when the article said he was only 38.

• Hope it wasn't over non-delivery of previously purchased football memorobilia :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• redcarter said:

Rob Beasley the journalist has said on twitter that Paul Elliot sent the message on to other people so not neccesarily from Rufus.

Wow, Elliott clearly not the brightest bloke in the world if he sent the texts to other people - might as well have just put it on Twitter himself!
    Rob Beasley on twitter: A lot of people do odd things late at night on the weekend!!!
  • Must admit, i always cringe when i see Paul Elliott interviewed - just comes over as someone who likes to use all the big words without actually understanding what they mean- almost as if he's just read all the long words in the dictionary.
    Know what i mean Arry.?
  • Just can't go round calling someone a Nigel. ( sorry, fat fingers )!!
  • masicat said:

Just can't go round calling someone a Nigel. ( sorry, fat fingers )!!

Who are you calling fat fingers?
  • Maybe Rufus promised Elliot he would be the next Pope but failed to get him nominated?
  • Having lived and worked with black people over many years, I can honestly say I have never heard this term used by any one of my friends or business associates, white or black...so yes, if true this is indeed shocking and not the norm in decent society.
  • Terrible but would like to actually no all the facts and details before i gave a strong opinion.
  • As Elliot would say.." I have alluded to this misdemeanour consistently excruciating and plausible as expressional circumstances proliferating concurrently " .....
  • masicat said:

As Elliot would say.." I have alluded to this misdemeanour consistently excruciating and plausible as expressional circumstances proliferating concurrently " .....

My first smile of the day...

• Wow, just wow.