Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamie Carragher

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:

It is a lot easier to remain loyal to one of the most successful clubs in the world earning a seven figure sum every year than it is to play for a run of the mill club (I could just as easily have said Charlton) for your whole career. I meant no more than that.

But where on earth does a small club like Rochdale, Blackpool or Charlton even come into the discussion? Are you going to turn round and say exactly the same when Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes retire, just to try and undermine someone who is hugely successful?

At the end of the day, loyalty is loyalty - doesn't matter what level you are at.
    So I am not allowed to be more impressed by someone staying loyal to a smaller club than I am impressed by them staying at a big club? I do apologise.
  • Options
    I suppose it might look bad if he was happy hardly playing at all on such money but he does so is deserving of the wages...
  • Options
    edited February 2013

uncle said:

If he had spent his career at rochdale we wouldn't be having this discussion,

True..isn't there a Hartlepool player who has such a record.

Decent pro and good player.

There will be when he retires.

Edit: Maybe not, if you are talking about Richie Humphries, he has been there ages, but has played for other clubs.
  • Options
    uncle said:

Staying at a mediocre club without winning anything could be seen as having no ambition or want of a challenge to test yourself. Staying at a big club shows a constant level of good ability, especially when he's won the FA cup, league cup, European cup and UEFA cup...now that's impressive.

Wasn't Le Tissier tarred with that brush of having no ambition? For staying loyal to one club and not trying to succeed at a bigger club.... Seems you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Matt Le Tissier's problem was that for all his talent he never grafted hard in training and was always a tad over-weight. Perhaps a move to a bigger club would have forced him to graft a bit harder and diet properly.

I did hear a story that he signed for Spurs but then changed his mind over-night and asked for the contract to be torn up.

• Options

uncle said:

Staying at a mediocre club without winning anything could be seen as having no ambition or want of a challenge to test yourself. Staying at a big club shows a constant level of good ability, especially when he's won the FA cup, league cup, European cup and UEFA cup...now that's impressive.

Wasn't Le Tissier tarred with that brush of having no ambition? For staying loyal to one club and not trying to succeed at a bigger club.... Seems you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Matt Le Tissier's problem was that for all his talent he never grafted hard in training and was always a tad over-weight. Perhaps a move to a bigger club would have forced him to graft a bit harder and diet properly.

I did hear a story that he signed for Spurs but then changed his mind over-night and asked for the contract to be torn up.

Oh my mistake then, I thought we were talking about spending time at one club not if you were a good trainer or not.... My memory was that people criticised him for lacking ambition in staying at Southampton.

• Options
    Calm down , calm down.
  • Options
    Why are we talking about him? -an ordinary player , paid an extra-ordinary amount of money.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Why are we talking about him? -an ordinary player , paid an extra-ordinary amount of money.

I wouldn't say he was ordinary.

There was time a few seasons ago where he was one of the most consistent defenders in the premier league.

I can't stand Liverpool but I like Carragher.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

cafctom said:

It is a lot easier to remain loyal to one of the most successful clubs in the world earning a seven figure sum every year than it is to play for a run of the mill club (I could just as easily have said Charlton) for your whole career. I meant no more than that.

But where on earth does a small club like Rochdale, Blackpool or Charlton even come into the discussion? Are you going to turn round and say exactly the same when Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes retire, just to try and undermine someone who is hugely successful?

At the end of the day, loyalty is loyalty - doesn't matter what level you are at.
    So I am not allowed to be more impressed by someone staying loyal to a smaller club than I am impressed by them staying at a big club? I do apologise.
    I've not said you're not allowed to be. I'm just asking why one's loyalty to a small club is in any way relevant here?

If Charlton win 3-0 next weekend is your first reaction going to be "Well I would be more impressed if it was 6-0".

This thread is about Jamie Carragher and what he has achieved with one club. But all because he has earned a lot of money doing it - some have to come and piss on the chips.
  • Options
    I like him. He sponsored my god sons team for years. Paid for all the kits and would turn up at every end of season do to hand out medals, whether that be a barbie in one of the parents gardens or a social club.

Enjoy your retirement Jamie. In footballing terms you've had a fantastic career.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

I've not said you're not allowed to be. I'm just asking why one's loyalty to a small club is in any way relevant here?

If Charlton win 3-0 next weekend is your first reaction going to be "Well I would be more impressed if it was 6-0".

This thread is about Jamie Carragher and what he has achieved with one club. But all because he has earned a lot of money doing it - some have to come and piss on the chips.
    I did not realise he would be reading a thread on a Charlton Athletic fans board, sorry Jamie, I meant no disrespect.
  • Options
    Steve Bull- perhaps the greatest one club man?
  • Options

Steve Bull- perhaps the greatest one club man?

EA, I will point out - in a kind way - because Bully is exactly the kind of person I meant, even though I was not actually knocking JC, just saying I would be more impressed if he had done it for a "lesser" club, that Steve Bull played a game or two for WBA before becoming a Wolves legend.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    How can people possibly criticize Carragher for being a one club man?! Why is there so much cynicism in the world these days!

Yes, he gets paid a lot. Yes, he's at one of the top clubs in England. Yes, he may not be the nicest bloke. But this thread isnt debating that. It's giving a bloke that has given his all for HIS club consistently for many years, and surely we can all applaud that. It's not exactly his fault that he ended up being a pretty decent footballer so ended up a top club. If this was the other way round and we read some Liverpool fans slagging off a one club player of ours purely because he earned money while doing so this place would be in meltdown.

Forget your grievenses for a minute and recognize a truly loyal footballer when we see one. Everyone is so anti 'modern football' that surely people like Jamie Carragher should be looked up to.
  • Options
    i would be more impressed if he played in the Isthmian league for the same team all his career and gave all his wages to charity (although that would probably be a tax dodge) and lived in a shoebox on a mere humble existence and so did all his family members who could also survive in simple conditions and never look to better themselves or be greedy and move on for more money
  • Options
    Like the bloke ( not his voice), will make a good pundit if he chooses that line. Loved the bit when he retired from international football and Adrain Durham in TalkSport was saying he had bottled it. Next caller on line was a Jamie from Liverpool to put the ginger in his place.
  • Options
    Penalty taking's loss.

Farewell Liverpool's rose.
  • Options

I would be more impressed if he had been a one club man at Rochdale or Blackpool, or a similar club...

Stupid.
    Why? I have not said I don't admire Carragher staying with Liverpool all his career, merely that I would be more impressed if he did it with a lesser club. I don't understand why that upsets a bunch of Charlton fans so much?
  • Options

I would be more impressed if he had been a one club man at Rochdale or Blackpool, or a similar club...

Stupid.
    Why? I have not said I don't admire Carragher staying with Liverpool all his career, merely that I would be more impressed if he did it with a lesser club. I don't understand why that upsets a bunch of Charlton fans so much?
    You would be more impressed by a lower league player than someone who was able to play at the highest level all there career? There are players who have played for Rochdale and Blackpool for their whole career in the lower leagues, how many can you name?
  • Options

Stupid.
    You would be more impressed by a lower league player than someone who was able to play at the highest level all there career? There are players who have played for Rochdale and Blackpool for their whole career in the lower leagues, how many can you name?
    What on gods green earth has how many people I can name who have played their whole career at Rochdale or Blackpool got to do with my opinion FoD?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think 'impressive' was the wrong choice of phrase. Perhaps you have more 'admiration' for someone who stayed at Rochdale their whole career.

But your right in that it doesnt really f*****g matter.
  • Options
    They are trying to stop the sale of horse meat unknowingly sold to us now all food is going to taste shite now that really effing matters poxy Torries, lib, labour , ukip bstds

8)
  • Options
    ??
  • Options

They are trying to stop the sale of horse meat unknowingly sold to us now all food is going to taste shite now that really effing matters poxy Torries, lib, labour , ukip bstds

8)

True
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

??

Just trying to ease the tension B
  • Options

I think 'impressive' was the wrong choice of phrase. Perhaps you have more 'admiration' for someone who stayed at Rochdale their whole career.

But your right in that it doesnt really f*****g matter.

I'll buy that. Admiration, better choice than mine.
  • Options
    Must say I have always liked Carragher. At one stage he was the Premierships most consistant defender over a good few seasons. Very good reader of the game, Committed and reliable.

International football wise felt he was unlucky to be playing so well during the years of Campbell, Rio, Terry.

I kind of get Algarve's point, but Carragher stayed at Liverpool not because it was easy but because he was good enough to play in CL finals, cup finals etc.

Hope he doesn't become a pundit though...
  • Options

Curb_It said:

??

Just trying to ease the tension B
    Hahaha
  • Options
    Jc ledge don't see the problem if someone does you I would hope your mates would take care of it
  • Options
    Eh Eh Eh Eh EEErrr