Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Bitter Future?

As a big fan of real ale I do worry for its future. Although the majority of my friends around my age (45-55) choose bitter in a pub are any of the younger generations drinking it?
Any pub regulars under the age of 30 on here who choose bitter over lager, stout or cider?

I'd be interested to know.

Comments

• occasionally il have a light and bitter but most of the time cider
  • I run a bar and have had to take bitter off th taps, simply wasting more than we sold Guinness sells alrght. Have small range of bottled ales but they don't move, shift about 900-1000 pints of larger n cider a week so its not as if draught in general doesn't shift. I'm generally an over 30s place aswell.
  • scruffle said:

I run a bar and have had to take bitter off th taps, simply wasting more than we sold Guinness sells alrght. Have small range of bottled ales but they don't move, shift about 900-1000 pints of larger n cider a week so its not as if draught in general doesn't shift. I'm generally an over 30s place aswell.

You say bar, as opposed to pub. Did you have real cask conditioned ale on hand pump? Or keg bitter on a tap?

Interested to know where abouts you are?
  • I'm in my twenties and me and quite a few of my friends are into real ale and craft beers. I can generally get good real ale in the pubs I drink in (East Dulwich has pubs that normally have a couple of decent ales on and some local craft beer). I just find them more interesting, varied and generally better tasting than fizzy larger.

I think it has its time and place, if we're up north for an away game and we're in a decent pub it's great to try some of the local ales, if I'm in a nightclub I won't be seeking out a pint of bitter !
  • edited January 2013
    25 and very much a real ale drinker. Don't find decent bitter terribly hard to come by, and know quite a few boozers with an excellent selection of guest ales etc.
  • I went to The Meantime Brewery/pub in the Naval College on Saturday. I don't usually drink bitter but tried a couple. You can buy thirds of pints to try. A pint costs about £4.50, but it's decent for a change. They also have a restaurant attached. The "pub" is quite small, seating for about 30 maximum.
  • It's too easy to supply Eurofizz (aka lager) and most people don't seem to be discerning enough to care.

Given the opportunity two of my daughters and some of their friends will drink and enjoy real beer.

From what they tell me the choice often isn't there though.
  • 22 and will only drink ale in a pub. Majority of my mates are the same. The pub I used to work in set up a 'real ale club' and does trips to local breweries and also holds a very popular ale festival once a year. There are some great beers coming out of Westerham,Dorking and Sambrook's in Battersea.