Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derek (Ricky Gervais show on Channel 4)

edited January 2013 in Not Sports Related
Just started on Channel 4, load of people didn't enjoy the pilot that aired last year but I thought it was quite good. Hoping for good things.

Comments

• Enjoyed the first 15. More laughs than the pilot so far imo.
  • Laughed once... Boring.
  • Tom (the managers boyfriend) seems to be played by our very own John Sullivan.
  • CAFCsayer said:

Laughed once... Boring.

You've missed the point then.

Liked the pilot and enjoyed this. David Earl as Kev and Pilkington as Dougie are great. Still not sure about Gervais himself though.

The "if i am tistic will I die" exchange was brilliant.

• edited January 2013
    I didn't see the pilot just this.

Different but quite absorbing with some funny moments.

It seems to tread a fine line though between the risk of being offensive to those with disabilities and waving the flag for them.

Tonight's episode got it right in my opinion.
  • Really enjoyed it, had a nice mix between comedy and drama. Thought Karl Pilkington was great in it.
  • I found it dull. I normally love most things Gervais does but on tonight's showing , Derek needs to improve rapidly.
  • Brilliant Gervais as usual. The scene where Derek asks if a test for autism will change him is excellent.
  • I think he is a bit of a mix. Some of his TV is genius, this is no doubt one of them. Where he hits the spot is that it deals with a difficult subject, but essentially, at the heart of it, he's not taking the piss, it's just fun, not because he's playing a guy with issues, but because it's funny because it's funny. For sure it's a programme to spark a debate, and therin lies his skills.

Idiot abroad is just piss taking, this isn't, its very very clever and well done for not shying away from a subject most people wouldn't touch.

This is where it works. I can't take my eyes off it.
  • I really struggle to enjoy any of his tv shows. Absolutely love his stand up but lost interest in the office, idiot abroad, etc. Recorded this and hope it changes my mind!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought it was the best thing he's done since Extras and a welcome return to form after Life's Too Short (but that series wasn't) and An Idiot Abroad. The manager is the real star and central character in this and the central storyline I thought was very strong. A good mixture of laughs and a serious storyline.
  • Was channel hopping last night and caught about 10 mins of this. Looked good but that is my favored comedy genre on tele anyway. Agree on the manager, well played by Kerry Godliman.
  • just watched it - loved it so much lol
  • saw it. was ok. not that funny.
    some of the serious points was good to see, though we know them already it's nice to see a programme actually discuss them.
  • Karl Pilkington is quite a strong actor. Brilliant episode, loved the end bit.
  • edited February 2013
    David Earl is getting better and better as Kev....

Librarian: "I'm sorry sir, you can't take magazines out" Kev: "Ah right, you got a toilet then?"

Loving Pilkington as well. "I swear on mothers life I've never shit myself"

The montage at the end was a good reminder that Radiohead were good once.
  • Plenty of subtext, I think Gervais is trying to say something!
  • Can't stand Gervais and it really grates that he'll be loving the fact that people are reading this as a work of genius.
    Personally I think the guy is a bit of a bully.
    This show feels more like cruelty than comedy and the fly on the wall documentary style is so bloody tired.
    Just my view though, of course.
  • First time I'd seen it properly tonight, liked it, some really funny moments.

Wished wouldn't do the mouth thing though, it's almost like he's trying to push that Derek has learning difficulties and he doesn't need to. Karl Pilkington's character is good because it's so underplayed, less can be more.
  • How do people feel about this show now it's a few episodes in?

Personally, I think it's terrific. Not crammed with belly laughs, but intelligent, moving and definitely funny.
    Pilkington's portrayal of Dougie is a revelation and Hannah is wonderful. Derek's character is a distant third behind these two, but still lovable and capable of a great line. Even the elderly actors have played their roles as residents perfectly.
    The weakest character IMO is Kev - I have struggled at times to see the point of him and I can't see why the other characters tolerate him, (it just doesn't ring true), but even he is starting to grow on me.

Thoughts?
  • Sponsored links:

• I hate it personally. IMO Gervais is just using a dodgy jaw and voice as a way of spouting his beliefs with awful child-like soliloquies. Unfortunately though, I think it's made in such a way that you feel if you slag off Derek you're slagging off people with disabilities,which obviously isn't the case.
  • Agree, Lord Romford - though two are fantastic. Gervais should have got someone else to play Derek, though, he's made him a caricature in my opinion.
  • Struggled with this. Gervais is hit and miss with me. I like to drill down to the underlying point he is trying to make. In that respect Derek works. Take away Gervais and you still have the rest, I like it, Pilkington and the rest of the cast swing it for me. 8/10
  • Agree, Lord Romford - though two are fantastic. Gervais should have got someone else to play Derek, though, he's made him a caricature in my opinion.

I think you're right there. I can't help thinking Derek should be a peripheral character, but with Gervais taking the role himself, this has become impossible. Dougie is far more interesting to me. I'd like to know more about him.
    Croydon said:

I hate it personally. IMO Gervais is just using a dodgy jaw and voice as a way of spouting his beliefs with awful child-like soliloquies. Unfortunately though, I think it's made in such a way that you feel if you slag off Derek you're slagging off people with disabilities,which obviously isn't the case.

I know what you mean Croydon, but disagree. I agree that Gervais' portrayal is not brilliant, but I think the ideas (beliefs?) that are put forward are simple and fundamentally right (look after your elderly relatives, back up your friends, don't be self centred etc). As for slagging of Derek=slagging of disabled people, I think the comedy is about misunderstanding, innocence, injustice and tolerance of others, that's all. I think there will be many that don't like the show because they don't think it's funny, and that's fine. If you feel it's pitched so that you feel uncomfortable criticising it, that's an issue for you, not the show.
  • I'm still enjoying it, funny at times but the dramatic elements of it work quite well. Only problem is that it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere, every episode is pretty much conveying the same message over and over.
  • Still not convinced by Gervais in the lead role but have got used to it. Hannah, Dougie and Kev are brilliant.

David Earl as Kev absolutely steals the show.

The seaweed fight at Broadstairs was very funny as was the Swingball scene.

Love the mix of genuine pathos and belly laughs.

Hannah's "she still a c**t" line was done fantastically.

Also think the soundtrack has been thought out really well.
  • It's a comedy. Why is everyone looking for a message? Just enjoy it for what it is.
  • Stig said:

It's a comedy. Why is everyone looking for a message? Just enjoy it for what it is.

Fair enough. :-)
  • edited February 2013
    Stig said:

It's a comedy. Why is everyone looking for a message? Just enjoy it for what it is.

It's not really about looking for 'messages,' Gervais signposts them so clearly that's its impossible not to spot them. I thought the pilot was really promising, but have found the series a big dissapointment so far. In my opinin it could really do with a bit of subtlety and a story arc of some kind other than a vague threat of closure. At the moment every episode seems very similar, apart from the addition of an external character to highlight an aspect of society that gervais wants to comment on.

• edited February 2013

Agree, Lord Romford - though two are fantastic. Gervais should have got someone else to play Derek, though, he's made him a caricature in my opinion.

I think you're right there. I can't help thinking Derek should be a peripheral character, but with Gervais taking the role himself, this has become impossible. Dougie is far more interesting to me. I'd like to know more about him.
    Croydon said:

I hate it personally. IMO Gervais is just using a dodgy jaw and voice as a way of spouting his beliefs with awful child-like soliloquies. Unfortunately though, I think it's made in such a way that you feel if you slag off Derek you're slagging off people with disabilities,which obviously isn't the case.

I know what you mean Croydon, but disagree. I agree that Gervais' portrayal is not brilliant, but I think the ideas (beliefs?) that are put forward are simple and fundamentally right (look after your elderly relatives, back up your friends, don't be self centred etc). As for slagging of Derek=slagging of disabled people, I think the comedy is about misunderstanding, innocence, injustice and tolerance of others, that's all. I think there will be many that don't like the show because they don't think it's funny, and that's fine. If you feel it's pitched so that you feel uncomfortable criticising it, that's an issue for you, not the show.
    I was referring more to his stance on religion and politics as opposed to how he feels about caring for the elderly. His "why can't we all just get along" speech in the an episode I saw just seemed so OTT to me knowing what his views on those particular issues are. I get the basic premise of highlighting the issues that are present amongst the elderly community,especially those in care,but I would give him a lot more respect for highlighting them if he actually gave these people some proper lines in his script. As someone said on this thread before,it's a show made to split opinions and it's obviously very popular so fair play to him.