Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nine Years Ago Today........

30 Jan 2004

Scott Parker moved to Chelsea for £10m.

We were 4th in the Premiership (behind Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea) after 22 games. We then picked up just 16 points in the next 16 games to finish 7th.

An additional 3pts (19pts in 16 games) would have seen us finish 5th and in Europe, an additional 7pts (23 in 16) would have been Champions League.

Just thought i'd cheer you up..........

Comments

• Options
    Good post as Parker's move was highly significant - bad for us and him. He probably would have had 30 more caps if it wasn't for that move which derailed his career. It felt like a turning point for us too and so it proved.
  • Options
    Thanks for that!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm not bitter about it anymore in the slightest , honest i'm not .....

Seems like yesterday.
  • Options
    Look on the positive side...if he had not have left we wouldn't be one if those lucky sets if fans that have seen their club achieve the magic ton in a season... SP was never an ever present for us, if I recall rightly he was regularly out because of injury or being banned ( correct me if I'm wrong on that) so there was no guarantee he would have been available for the rest of the season anyway
  • Options
    Stolen for Twitter. What would've been eh?
  • Options
    Great season, can remember going to the shareholders meeting in the January of that season and all the directors saying parker wernt' going anywhere.....................

At least we got to experiance that success
  • Options
    Real Shame for him and us, im sure he made some more money but think he would of been an England regular & possible captain if his career had not stalled for those seasons.

• Options
    Sickening
  • Options
    It was especially magical to see him unveiled at Chelsea on the 8th :(
    Luckily he wasn't allowed to play.
  • Options
    We stayed 4th until we lost at Newcastle on March 20th didn't we? Europe really was for the taking that year, and when you look back so many similar size clubs have made it. For example Boro, Bolton, Fulham, Stoke, Southampton, Ipswich, admittedly a couple of them by the cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Part of the reason why his career stalled was down to injuries - a broken toe or fot then he suffered from glandular fever. But he was poorly advised - did he really think that he'd get in the Chelsea team ahead of Lampard, Makalele, Veron and one or two other players with dozens of international caps and experience of playing in Europe?
  • Options
    Gawd, that makes for depressing reading given what has happened since doesn't it? Almost seems like we are a different club now in many respects too.
  • Options
    I had no idea (my son was born early May that year so I, kinda, lost tough with the football) that we were so close to the Champions League places. Certainly an extra 7 points over those 16 games would have been achievable if Parker had stayed - in my view.

We would probably have done what Everton did and got knocked out at the qualification stage - let's face it we were no better in cup competitions in those days either.

However, I suspect we will never have as good a chance of getting into the Champions League as we had nine years ago today.

I'm not bitter (and I wasn't then either) but I am disappointed to think that we missed out on having those memories now.
  • Options
    Was quite surprised to read, that despite his numerous clubs, the only trophy Parker's won is the Championship with us in 2000.
  • Options
    To be honest i would take being knocked out in the first couple of games, sure we all dream of seeing our team against Europe's elite but for competative euopean football supporting Charlton, i would of loved trips away to the teams who came second in whatever obscure league just as much.

I can keep dreaming we have another chance in the future.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Was quite surprised to read, that despite his numerous clubs, the only trophy Parker's won is the Championship with us in 2000.

I think that's more a reflection on the small number of clubs that actually win anything. Last 10 years basically Man U, Chelsea and to a lesser extent Arsenal. I know he was at Chelsea but never really featured regulary did he?
    If he'd had waited maybe a year he could have been the ideal replacement for Roy Keane at Utd, then he would have a medal or two!
    Oh for hindsight eh Spotty?
  • Options
    7th place would have got us europe most seasons. Why didn't we that season? Bloody Millwall got to the cup final
  • Options
    yeah but we'd have missed out on all those new grounds and the chance to bounce back ......stuff the prem .... i'm still talking about beating orient in that memorable 6 game winning start to our league one adventure
  • Options

yeah but we'd have missed out on all those new grounds and the chance to bounce back ......stuff the prem .... i'm still talking about beating orient in that memorable 6 game winning start to our league one adventure

Well at least we sacked Curbs........ ;-)

• Options
    Main problem with Parker was that we knew he was going to go... did we have a replacement lined up? NO..instead we signed Jerome Thomas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That means 9 years ago I was in a lecture theatre. Depressing.
  • Options

Main problem with Parker was that we knew he was going to go... did we have a replacement lined up? NO..instead we signed Jerome Thomas.

It was captain clean shorts - Matt Holland who we replaced Parker with - at least in the centre of the park, but how do you replace a player like Parker? He was a genuine once in a generation player and irreplaceable unless you could play 12 men.

• Options

Who is still playing in the Prem....
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

That means 9 years ago I was in a lecture theatre. Depressing.

This is me today. I wonder what the next nine years will bring for me (and for Charlton).
  • Options
    That means 9 years ago I was doing pretty much as am now, although on NettAddicks. Even more depressing!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

That means 9 years ago I was doing pretty much as am now, although on NettAddicks. Even more depressing!

I miss Net Addicks !!

• Options

Riviera said:

I miss Net Addicks !!

No offence AFKA, LoOkout, WSS etc.......
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I think that's more a reflection on the small number of clubs that actually win anything. Last 10 years basically Man U, Chelsea and to a lesser extent Arsenal. I know he was at Chelsea but never really featured regulary did he?
    If he'd had waited maybe a year he could have been the ideal replacement for Roy Keane at Utd, then he would have a medal or two!
    Oh for hindsight eh Spotty?

True but i was surprised he didn't win at least a cup with Chelsea, or even appear as a sub in the 10 league games required to win a title medal
  • Options
    You had to get me started...........

He was in the crowd at the Gills FA Cup game with his brother, we spoke for a while and told me he wasn't leaving. He was one of my "love him to bits" players. He had played as a boy for Valley Park Rangers (?) and was a local lad who had come through the ranks to be a true Charlton hero.

When I read the Curbs book about him "running directly from the shower", after the Chelsea game, still wet, to demand "what's happening about my transfer?" I lost all regard for him.

It is sad that he doesn't feature on our pre-match video, and also that many Toons regard him as the worst captain in their history.

Chelsea bought him, because they could afford it, and to stop us having him.

I only wanted him to finish the season - nothing more, and for 6 months of greed he lost an admirer.

Go and play for Harry at QPR and we will see you next year.
  • Options
    I honestly don't know if I could/would boo him.