Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

IS THE SNOW ON YOUR ROOF STAYING OR GOING?

The snow should tell you how efficient your loft insulation is. If your snow is clearing while your neighbours is staying put, you may need to think about increasing the insulation as too much heat is obviously going up through the roof.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    On my roof it's going "doobedoo bedoobedoobedoo".

Insulation needed?
  • Forget the roof , nice pad Del! :-0
  • Not my pad MIA, but I thought it illustrated my point well.
  • edited January 2013
    Looks like somebody has been on that roof with a shovel.

I had new loft insulation fitted about a year ago and I'm not lying that I have opened the bedroom window a number of times during the snow because it's too hot in the room. If I turn the heating down it gets too cold downstairs. Beggars can't be chooses I suppose.
  • Because of our age, we have been able to get both cavity and loft ( which is now about a foot high ) insulation free. Ours is now a very warm house, on Sunday we were eight for Dinner and we had the heating off and a window open. If you qualify, I definitely recommend it.
  • I will need to top-up my own insulation when I am old enough to qualify for a grant Granpa!
  • JAYAJOSH, we have dealt with the upstairs/downstairs problem by turning off radiators or closing vents upstairs. That gives you better warmth downstairs, and as heat rises it isnt too cold upstairs. Obviously you can choose which you turn off upstairs to get the right balance.
  • Jayajosh said:

Looks like somebody has been on that roof with a shovel.

I had new loft insulation fitted about a year ago and I'm not lying that I have opened the bedroom window a number of times during the snow because it's too hot in the room. If I turn the heating down it gets too cold downstairs. Beggars can't be chooses I suppose.

Tell me about it. British Gas bullied me into getting this space age loft insulation free. It is like an oven upstairs now and all the rads are off. Had to sleep with the window open for the last 3 weeks.
  • Strasburger. On that basis you could have snow on your roof 'til March!
  • edited January 2013
    delroofer said:

Strasburger. On that basis you could have snow on your roof 'til March!

'til march what? Comes and clears it off? Not likely, not with my trouble! {:-)

• Sponsored links:

• Sorry March, ignore that last comment. I didn't mean to involve you personally!
  • current regulations are loft insulation should be 270mm thick but a word of warning make sure that the eves (ouside edges) are not blocked by the insulation as this will restrict the ventilation leading to loft condensation problems
  • edited January 2013
    I know it's a how long is a piece of string question, but how much would it cost to insulate the average loft, and how long does it last?
  • I know it's a how long is a piece of string question, but how much would it cost to insulate the average loft, and how long does it last?

Supposed to be free and paid for by gas companies. BG paid for mine.