Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lawrie Wilson

Comments

• edited September 2014

Went on the Players Marks and wondered what scores IJC had given ?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i could not find any scores from you for the Wolves,Derby or Watford games ?

Did you not go to the games ?

Or are you so obsessed with one person that you didn't notice any other player ?

I am more than happy to start giving players marks on that thread if it will cheer you up.
    Infact, this whole thing came from someone's comment that Wilson isn't that bad. I disagreed.

Now I am being asked whether I go to games, told to go and support Millwall, and questioned as to whether I have an obsession with one person (ironically coming from the geezer that decided to (incorrectly) count the number of posts I wrote trying to explain my feelings toward Wilson's footballing abilities.

@Henry Irving.

You are correct, every team will have players that are better than others - but that is the whole point. Surely to progress as a team you need to identify the lesser players (Please note I avoided 'worst') and replace them - not necessarily immediately but it has to be a consideration.

People tend to agree that Gudmundsson is a better footballer than Wilson, so If we replace him with a better RW, he becomes second choice, Wilson leaves and the team has progressed - Every team need to identify their weaker links to try and push on, I am merely suggesting that Wilson is one of those weaker links, due to the reasons I posted originally.
    So despite just signing Gudmundsson you are saying replace him already, for the moment Wilson is a good understudy to him as he can cover both RM and RB which is good, so when Gudmundsson is fit Wilson is on the bench and we know if anything happens to Gudmundsson or Solly we have Wilson, maybe in the summer we can look to replace him but for now he is good enough IMO

• @Henry Irving.

You are correct, every team will have players that are better than others - but that is the whole point. Surely to progress as a team you need to identify the lesser players (Please note I avoided 'worst') and replace them - not necessarily immediately but it has to be a consideration.

People tend to agree that Gudmundsson is a better footballer than Wilson, so If we replace him with a better RW, he becomes second choice, Wilson leaves and the team has progressed - Every team need to identify their weaker links to try and push on, I am merely suggesting that Wilson is one of those weaker links, due to the reasons I posted originally.

Of course.

If we can get a better player than Igor then Igor gets dropped/sold/loaned.

If we get a better player than Bikey then he gets dropped/sold/loaned

But that doesn't make them "one the worst". Yes I note you have now changed that to lesser but that was the word you were using,

My point is in a team game the "lesser" parts of the team and squad also play a vital part. Andy Hughes is a classic example of this.

Wilson has his flaws which many feel you have exaggerated. He also has his strengths and a track record of good performance which many think you have ignored or dismissed.
  • I just said a number because i knew you would reach it, and go flying pass.

if you have seen any of my posts over the last few weeks, you know they are 95% light hearted.

The only exception is when replying to you. (IJC)
  • His better performances were when he was surrounded by lesser players, in a struggling team. Now that the performances have improved and the quality of football is better, his flaws and weaknesses are highlighted and more apparent.

Igor, in my opinion, has the potential to be one of the best strikers we have ever had at The Valley. Having said that, If we sell GT, SC & JP, and sign Costa, Van Persie and Aguero...then Igor will be the 'worst' striker in the squad. This is what has happened to LW, he has been overtaken, maybe even lapped by nearly everyone else in the squad.

I genuinely believe that many on here are looking past his flaws because of who he is, as opposed to what he actually does (and in danger of getting the age old debate started again) in a similar way to that in which CP was argued over. If he was one of RD's Network signings he would be getting dog's abuse on here.

Anyway, cant spend all day trying to justify my opinion that Wilson is not good enough for a team currently sat 5th in the Championship. Although, I will be putting money on him to score first at Rotherham as I can see him coming back to haunt me. (although I will still maintain that he is currently punching above his weight with regards the level he is playing)

• I just said a number because i knew you would reach it, and go flying pass.

if you have seen any of my posts over the last few weeks, you know they are 95% light hearted.

The only exception is when replying to you. (IJC)

I feel honored.
  • I don't agree with 'he played ok' etc on Tuesday. He had a poor game, never really got going. He's not exempt from scrutiny.

That said, he is a very valuable member of our squad and everyone has off days. I like Lawrie and his ability cannot be judged by one game. He's often come off the bench and provided necessary defensive support that has allowed us to get the three points on multiple occasions.

Hope he's back to his better self next game.
  • His better performances were when he was surrounded by lesser players, in a struggling team. Now that the performances have improved and the quality of football is better, his flaws and weaknesses are highlighted and more apparent.

Igor, in my opinion, has the potential to be one of the best strikers we have ever had at The Valley. Having said that, If we sell GT, SC & JP, and sign Costa, Van Persie and Aguero...then Igor will be the 'worst' striker in the squad. This is what has happened to LW, he has been overtaken, maybe even lapped by nearly everyone else in the squad.

I genuinely believe that many on here are looking past his flaws because of who he is, as opposed to what he actually does (and in danger of getting the age old debate started again) in a similar way to that in which CP was argued over. If he was one of RD's Network signings he would be getting dog's abuse on here.

Anyway, cant spend all day trying to justify my opinion that Wilson is not good enough for a team currently sat 5th in the Championship. Although, I will be putting money on him to score first at Rotherham as I can see him coming back to haunt me. (although I will still maintain that he is currently punching above his weight with regards the level he is playing)

What is his level?

Not good enough for what? He's only a squad player.

If we end up in mid table he probably will be one of the players we're looking to improve on. If that's the case it'll also probably be true for some of Jackson, Morrison, Wiggins (if he doesn't get back to his best), Cousins (if he doesn't keep improving) etc.

Similar to the Waggy v Green debates in League 1, Green was seen as the better footballer but Waggy offered just as much if not more as his energy, fitness, goal threat and defensive play made up for his weaknesses and complemented the type of midfielder we had.

A team can challenge for promotion with the odd hard worker (more than technically gifted/creative) like Wilson doing a job as a squad player. Church did at Reading a few seasons ago. Burnley probably had a few last season, and Palace when they went up.
  • I hate to think of the abuse Wilson would get if we were losing. Let's just remember that players will have a bad game now and then, and when he is a sub and does not get much play time, he has less chance to make up for any mistakes. Why must we keep picking out a player for abuse, especially when we can see he is doing his best? We are an improving and fairly new team, the players, coaches and management are all getting used to each other, lets enjoy while we are doing well, and be more tolerant when we are not. We are not a premier team, be realistic
  • He plays better when Solly is in the team. Needs to change his game when not.
  • ross1 said:

I hate to think of the abuse Wilson would get if we were losing. Let's just remember that players will have a bad game now and then, and when he is a sub and does not get much play time, he has less chance to make up for any mistakes. Why must we keep picking out a player for abuse, especially when we can see he is doing his best? We are an improving and fairly new team, the players, coaches and management are all getting used to each other, lets enjoy while we are doing well, and be more tolerant when we are not. We are not a premier team, be realistic

Who is giving him abuse?

Is a player doing his best good enough? Should we just settle?

Yes, effort is demanded, but it doesn't make you a good player
  • Sponsored links:

• Jaddick said:

I don't agree with 'he played ok' etc on Tuesday. He had a poor game, never really got going. He's not exempt from scrutiny.

That said, he is a very valuable member of our squad and everyone has off days. I like Lawrie and his ability cannot be judged by one game. He's often come off the bench and provided necessary defensive support that has allowed us to get the three points on multiple occasions.

Hope he's back to his better self next game.

That's pretty much what everyone has been saying... with the exception of one (maybe two) who assume that he played badly on Tuesday (which he did, but not alone in that), therefore he is bad. Logical fallacies, weyhey.
  • Yes but what do we think about Bulot?
  • I understand Mr Wilson played very well on Tuesday - in three positions too ;-)
  • He sure did. And was milking the applause afterwards too-the last player off the pitch.....
  • I understand Mr Wilson played very well on Tuesday - positions in three too ;-)

Only People who have played, coached,or managed at any level will really appreciate the lawrie wilson's at a football club. (i have done all three)

Getting up at 4 in the morning to work out your formations and knowing that you had one player who could play
    in any position, yet if every one turned up fit and well would not start, didn't throw his toys out of the pram when you told him because he knew he would get on at some time to do what ever job you asked of him.

The fact that 90% of CAFC fans do realise this, makes me proud to be an Addick.

The point is if Gud and Solly are fit he would not start. but as he showed at Norwich, he had to play in 3 different positions, if you count when he get's into the box and strikes a ball, could play there in an emergency.

One comment on players marks said Hard working squad player, who can fill in anywhere.
    There's no shame in that.

I really hope Johann is fit because Birmingham will sit back and we will need his injection of pace on the ball.

• I understand Mr Wilson played very well on Tuesday - positions in three too ;-)

Only People who have played, coached,or managed at any level will really appreciate the lawrie wilson's at a football club. (i have done all three)

Getting up at 4 in the morning to work out your formations and knowing that you had one player who could play
    in any position, yet if every one turned up fit and well would not start, didn't throw his toys out of the pram when you told him because he knew he would get on at some time to do what ever job you asked of him.

The fact that 90% of CAFC fans do realise this, makes me proud to be an Addick.

The point is if Gud and Solly are fit he would not start. but as he showed at Norwich, he had to play in 3 different positions, if you count when he get's into the box and strikes a ball, could play there in an emergency.

One comment on players marks said Hard working squad player, who can fill in anywhere.
    There's no shame in that.

I really hope Johann is fit because Birmingham will sit back and we will need his injection of pace on the ball.

I suspect that some people would prefer 11 Balotellis. Wouldn't stay unbeaten for too long with that team.

• I took this video on Tuesday night, think you're in the minority IJC

http://youtu.be/YRLwaCp2vFk
  • What was the other position he played?
  • Scoham said:

What was the other position he played?

Started on the right, him and Bulot switched so he was on the left, then went to Right back
  • He started Right Midfield. Swapped over with Bulot to Left Midfield for a lot of the first half (maybe to help Wiggins with the marauding Whittaker and Redmond/Hoolahan double-ups)

Went to right back after Gomez went off
  • Sponsored links:

• I suspect that some people would prefer 11 Balotellis. Wouldn't stay unbeaten for too long with that team.

Years ago Lawrie McMcMenemy was manager of a Southampton side that surprised everybody by finishing 2nd in the top flight.

He said his team comprised 9 virtuoso players and 2 roadsweepers - and the roadsweepers were equally vital to the team; the team couldn't perform without them.

Many a star studded side has come unstuck, full of players of breathtaking ability - but unbalanced because there is no one doing the grunt work or providing the platform for the creative players to perform.

Moral: your best 11 players ability wise very rarely make the best team.
  • Oggy Red said:

I suspect that some people would prefer 11 Balotellis. Wouldn't stay unbeaten for too long with that team.

Years ago Lawrie McMcMenemy was manager of a Southampton side that surprised everybody by finishing 2nd in the top flight.

He said his team comprised 9 virtuoso players and 2 roadsweepers - and the roadsweepers were equally vital to the team; the team couldn't perform without them.

Many a star studded side has come unstuck, full of players of breathtaking ability - but unbalanced because there is no one doing the grunt work or providing the platform for the creative players to perform.

Moral: your best 11 players ability wise very rarely make the best team.
    Oggy, Oggy, Oggy your right ,right, right

• Lawrie Wilson is literally THE perfect squad rotational player at this level. Every club needs someone like Wilson. A versatile player with a great attitude who always tries his best. He's also alright too which helps.
  • Lawrie is a modern day Kishishev and that is meant as a compliment.
  • LenGlover said:

Lawrie is a modern day Kishishev and that is meant as a compliment.

Looking back, this is a shrewd observation. Nail on head
  • Better than vast majority of what we have right now clearly.
  • Watched the Bolton game on TV in the week and he looked very good at right back. Would be a good option for us now in both positions down the right but glad, for his sake, that he's playing elsewhere and doing well.
  • And don't forget the first year Cousins won POTY he was Players POTY !!