Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colin Holland RIP (@cholland)

Comments

• Options
    Heard last week it wasnt looking good.

Always up for a chat on those long train journey homes

RIP Colin
  • Options
    I have been to Charlton games with Colin for over 30 years - he was one of the Blackburn 12 (in 1984). Such a nice guy and really upetting to know he has passed. RIP Colin.
  • Options
    Didn't know Colin by name but from the picture know him from train journeys in my away days. Very sad news indeed.

RIP Colin.
  • Options
    don't think you could have travelled away with Charlton over the last 30 years and not have known Colin. Known him a number of years but only really on nodding terms etc. Nice guy and very sad news indeed.

RIP Colin
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Found out late last night about Colin passing. As many have said, he was just such a nice guy and supported our club and his friends in such a huge way. Shirty...thanks for posting the EE link...some lovely tributes, well deserved, from his colleagues there. So sorry for you, your brothers, Clive, Steve L and our thoughts are with you and Colin's family. Hopefully, he can now Rest in Peace...we know he will always be with us, home and away.

RIP Colin.

Tel
  • Options
    Yep recognise him now, another one of the good guys lost to the Valley in the sky. Once again RIP
  • Options
    Only met him once. When we both got to Aldershot far too early for the pre-season game a couple of years ago. We ended up in the same pub and had a chat whilst he was waiting for friends to arrive. Had seen him around for years though.

RIP
  • Options
    Awful news. I remember many years ago, Colin was in a group of us on a train back from some far some flung Northern game where we had to change at Birmingham New Street. We all nipped into the station bar for a quick shandy before catching the London connection. We all got on the train but unfortunately poor Colin didn't and we waved at him and his sad forlorn face as the train pulled away leaving him on the platform. Proper Charlton and a great loss . Thoughts are with all his friends and family. RIP Colin
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Oh dear. Didn't know him personally but that is a very familiar face from away days. Very sad RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    A very familiar face. Shirty, Amos and Johnny I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Did Colin drink in the Swan on match days at all?

RIP.
  • Options
    I never met Colin, but I have heard of him many times, if it wasn't for the likes of people like Colin we wouldn't have a club to support.

RIP
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Another Colin who will be sadly missed. I've known him since the Valley Party days and as others have said he was an absolute stalwart away traveller, always good humoured and with a quick wit. He was part of the Charlton furniture.

I'm reminded by the EE Times tribute of his role in putting together Valiants Viewpoint, which was for a time the supporters' club's answer to Voice of The Valley. I always enjoyed the competition.
  • Options
    RIP Colin.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    What awfully sad news. Very well said JH2 and others - Apart from being one of the staunchest of home and away Addicks, Colin was just a very very nice bloke. In the days of PW selling Charlton scratch cards on the trains to all parts of the country, Colin was the only person I knew ever to win more than enough for another bloody ticket. What did he do? Immediately buy drinks for every CAFC fan holed up in a Stafford pub waiting for our onward connection.

The few away games I can make these days just won't be the same. Colin was generous, funny, sincere, passionate, and just one of life's good guys. I count myself very lucky to have known him, and our Charlton community very lucky that he chose our great club to follow.

RIP mate; I'll genuinely never forget you.
  • Options
    RIP another one of the good un's has gone, very sad.
  • Options
    Never spoke to him but remember him from I first started going back in the selhurst days. If i walked into some norvern pub and colin was drinking in there, I'd immediately be reassured that I was going to get a good pint. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP Colin, you're be missed. A old friend and colleague.
  • Options
    Terrible news, rip @cholland dude
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

Echo what others have said. Knew Colin to nod & smile to at away games - as Airman states, part of the Charlton "furniture".

Very sad news . Bless you, Colin.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

A very familiar face. Shirty, Amos and Johnny I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Did Colin drink in the Swan on match days at all?

RIP.

He did after matches since last season. It was Colin's idea that we go there as we had finally given up with the Oak. The fact we are still going to the Swan shows what a good call it was
  • Options
    This is very sad news

Colin was one of the good guys. Always a familiar presence on away trips. Charlton to the core.

Colin wil be greatly missed. My thoughts are with is friends and family.

Derek
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Yes I thought so and I think he might have been in there after we all got back from Orient away on NYE last year? As me and my husband chatted to your group about where we were all going to drink at Fulham away? Ian said at the time that Colin and whoever was there then had been going away with Charlton for years.

I think thats right or i might have a different group mixed up!

Very sad, sorry again.

• Options
    Didn't know him personally but the endorsements from all you guys tells me that he was a great bloke the type of supporter that is always missed. RIP Colin
  • Options

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Colin.

I remember him at so many away games in particular a dismal defeat at Tranmere on a Friday night. Colin was shouting at the team in his high pitched voice even when we were 4-0 down and I actually applauded him for showing such passion in the face of such adversity.
  • Options
    Colin Holland, Top Journalist, Top Bloke Dies Aged 59

Colin Holland, a veteran electronics journalist has died aged 59. Most recently Colin was Editorial Director of Embedded.com. He held senior editorial posts on EETimes and was Editor of What's New in Electronics.

Mick Elliott writes:

The first time I met Colin, donkeys years ago, we quickly moved away from electronics to the important topic of football. And we quickly discovered we supported each others’ fiercest rivals – Charlton Athletic (Colin) and Millwall (me).

“I expect we’ll get along all right,” he laughed. Over many a beer, you bet we did. The best thing I can say is that when I attended any industry event and Colin wasn’t there I felt let down. It deprived me of football chat and banter, and watching him in the nicest possible way ask a question which always caught the presenter on the hop. A brilliant technique which always elicited a better response than aggression.

He was, I reckon, a professional journalist, one of the best in the electronics industry, and a professional football supporter. He never let football get in the way of doing a first class job. Neither did he let work hinder his football attendance. He’d think nothing of stepping off an overnight flight to Heathrow from the West Coast and heading straight to wherever Charlton were playing home or away.

You couldn’t even begin a head count of Colin’s friends in the publishing and electronics industries. We will miss the smile, the bonhomie him greatly as will his family to whom I send my sincerest condolences.

Caroline Hayes, Editor in Chief of EPN writes:

Colin was more than a colleague he was also a family friend, he knew the rest of the family through Charlton. (Our sons were amazed when they learned his first name was Colin – everyone called him Cholland!) Work and football were always on his mind: I always knew where my husband and children would be next Saturday, because Colin reminded me where and who they were playing when I saw him at press events.
    Everyone who met him throughout his long and distinguished career – or on the football terraces - will miss his jovial and sincere character. We send our sincere condolences to his family.
  • Options
    Sad news and as others have echoed one of the faces you saw wherever you travelled with Charlton over the years , a smile and nod of acknowledgement and on we all went with our Charlton supporting

RIP