Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rhoys Wiggins (pg.12 - retires from football)

Comments

• Davo55 said:

That final point is very well made. "When Charlton were down in the dumps, Wiggins signed a long-term contract. Now repay that loyalty and give him time to get back to his best."
    I thought that as well. I rate Fox but if we can keep Wiggins fit and back to the player he was then he's easily our best left back. He deserves a shot.
  • Fox was ahead of Wiggins on merit after Wiggins came back, and was much improved over the poor player he was when he first played.

If both are still here at the start of the season it will be very interesting who gets the nod

I seem to remember someone who watches the youngsters saying that Fox would eventually end up at centre back.

• Like Wiggins a lot, hope he IS fully fit
  • Davo55 said:

That final point is very well made. "When Charlton were down in the dumps, Wiggins signed a long-term contract. Now repay that loyalty and give him time to get back to his best."
    We are repaying that loyalty by continuing to pay him the wages agreed until his contract comes to an end or he leaves.

My concern (probably wrong word, but it'll do) with Wiggins is that he was injured so early on in his Championship career that we don't, really, know if he can do, at this level, what he did in the third division.

I'm in no rush to see him leave, and would choose him in front of Fox based on what I've seen, but I read somewhere that his wages are the problem. This and his lack of reliability due to injuries probably means that we can't make his wages and those of a good enough replacement (to play 20+ league games a season) fit in our budget.

If that is the case then it, actually, makes sense to move him on. Especially if we have another left back ready from the Academy, which I believe we do. Even if we are a season or two away we could get in an older player coming to the end to cover who may well have fewer injuries, and probably for less than Wiggins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

I'm not sure it's THAT much of a show of loyalty, Parker signed a similar length contract and forced a move 6 months later. Is SWP loyal to QPR by staying there?
  • I must be the only person who sees THD as a midfield player rather than a left back.
    I am mindful that when Jordan Cousins first emerged it was as a 'right back', even Joe Gomez, but neither of those players will play the majority of their careers at right back.
  • Wiggins head drops in games when things aren't going right, perhaps he's been the same in training when he lost his place in the side. If so, then Luzon has every right to disappointed in him.
  • Hes better than Fox, but injured too much and I expect on a decent whack after his new deal. Suspect his listing is more about the latter than Luzon not fancying him.
  • razil said:

Hes better than Fox, but injured too much and I expect on a decent whack after his new deal. Suspect his listing is more about the latter than Luzon not fancying him.

I don't know why I didn't say that!
  • As others have said he didn't sign out of loyalty but an improved contract. Nonsense comment in that article, and not a reason to hang on I'd resources are needed elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fox is pretty rapid over what is purportedly 1500 mtrs
  • edited July 2015
    Wiggins at his best has the potential to play low end Premier league, but we haven't seen his best for a while due to injury. When we have seen him, he has looked a bit slow by his standards and leggy. But if injury is behind him, I don't see a problem having Fox and Wiggins fighting for the left back spot. I think that is the sort of competition we need. As others have said - more of an issue is right back. I think Wilson was a decent enough bench player for Solly. When we let him go, we might not have been expecting to lose Gomez. I'm not saying Wilson is brilliant but getting a suitable player better than Solly will be hard and one of the right level whop could sit on the bench harder. Cover is needed though as Solly is a bit more fragile than most. We are looking at the wrong position here.
  • Wiggins at his best has the potential to play low end Premier league, but we haven't seen his best for a while due to injury. When we have seen him, he has looked a bit slow by his standards and leggy. But if injury is behind him, I don't see a problem having Fox and Wiggins fighting for the left back spot. I think that is the sort of competition we need. As others have said - more of an issue is right back. I think Wilson was a decent enough bench player for Solly. When we let him go, we might not have been expecting to lose Gomez. I'm not saying Wilson is brilliant but getting a suitable player better than Solly will be hard and one of the right level whop could sit on the bench harder. Cover is needed though as Solly is a bit more fragile than most. We are looking at the wrong position here.

I'm not sure he's ever been PL quality, the only really good season he's had with us was 2011/12 in L1, since then his career has been bitty.

Thinking about, the only Charlton players from the last 5 years or so who are PL regulars (excluding loanees) are Shelvey and Jenkinson. Solly might have moved if it wasn't for his knee, and he was always a cut above Wiggins. Others may be at PL clubs, but hardly ever play. Yann may be a regular this season.
  • cafctom said:

As others have said he didn't sign out of loyalty but an improved contract. Nonsense comment in that article, and not a reason to hang on I'd resources are needed elsewhere.

Yes because all players sign improved contracts regardless don't they?

Rhoys absolutely loves playing for Charlton. To suggest that loyalty wasn't a factor in his decision is wide of the mark, as at the time he would have picked up a lot of interest from top Championship clubs, maybe even higher had he looked for a move.
    This. The reason he was offered a contract was because Reading was interested in him , KM come out after and has said Rhoys was easy as he really wanted to stay so signed nearly straight away.
  • Really hope Rhoys stays as think he is capable if he stays injury free of being a good player for us. If Guy uses him in a more attacking full back role that will suit him down to the ground. Him and Fox could be good competition for each other
  • Enough people say this... In Pre-Season maybe play Fox at Centre Back alongside Bauer and Wiggins at Left-Back
  • My opinions don't carry much weight when it comes to individual players' performances as I don't get to watch many games every season. So I'd like to say something from a different angle. (Well, maybe not so different as it's similar to the London24 piece)

Rhoys Wiggins is my top favourite player and I'd be absolutely gutted to see him leave. To be honest I find our manager's 'just call him left-back' manner quite insulting. A boss does not even know how to pronounce his direct employee's name when the employee's been working for him for months? How would you feel if you were in Wiggins' shoes? He's one of the very few 'old' players (the ones from the SCP era) still left at this club and one of the best if not THE best among them - this is already enough reason for me to hope he regains his best form soon and stays here for as long as possible. When Riga left I said that under Duchatelet we'd better not grow too emotionally attached to any managers or players but even though I said that, I've been finding it difficult especially when it's the players that have been here for a long time. I know if we're really going to go forward as a club there'll inevitably be casualties along the way. But the thing is are we really aggressively aiming for say, the Premier League? I can't see it actually, at least not for now. So what is our goal these days? If we want to be an established Championship club (like Katrien's said) then I don't consider Wiggins as a liability for us - well, of course you'll raise his injury problems. But I think we should at least show some support and stick with him while he's been so unfortunate in the past couple of years? We're not a charity, but at the same time we're definitely not Newcastle (cue the Gutiérrez incident). Rhoys has been here for over four years and it's not fair to say he's a liability and definitely not fair to 'offload' him when his only 'fault' has been a series of unlucky injuries. Players coming back from long-term injuries usually desperately need confidence and it's time we show the support he needs and help him return to his best form.

Finally, if the 'left-back' thing isn't just a one-off joke by Luzon then I have to say it's pretty bad management and IF Rhoys Wiggins leaves this summer I will be the first to blame it on Luzon. Feel free to call me stupid but that's how I feel about the whole thing. No one deserves to be treated that way by their employer, especially not the ones that have been there longer than most of the other employees.

Great to hear your views, Jessie and welcome back ! You've been absent too long....

Rhoys is a very likeable young man & pretty down to earth in a similar way to JJ, IMHO.

From the time that Rhoys guested at a NWKA Q & A a couple of seasons ago, he has invariably stopped to chat whenever our paths cross( usually at the Training Ground) He talks about his holidays, his young daughter and this week, said he has astroturf in his garden now as it's more family friendly and doesn't get spoilt by his dog. Just ordinary, every day chat & asks questions as to how we are etc which is lovely.

I really hope that he is given his chance to show he's back to his best in pre season and if so, I'm sure he'll take that opportunity with both "feet". And with some good performances, he could catch the eye of the Wales manager again.....

• Thank you Jean. Actually I come on here to read posts every day. :smile: The site's framework probably has something related to Google (which is blocked here in China) so the functions in the posting box cannot be used properly here - that's why I haven't been posting as much as I'd like to. :(

Glad to know that Rhoys is such a friendly young man. I follow him on Instagram. He often posts his daughter's photos (very cute girl). Fingers crossed he stays fit all season and regains his top form.
  • OMG Rhoys is a nice guy yes but has been poor in to many games especially when coming back from yet another injury.
    Fox is the long term answer to left back Wiggins should stay and fight for his place in order to get another club before January.