Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins (pg.12 - retires from football)

Comments

• Options

Not much between Morgan and Rhoys us defenders,
    but at home we need wiggins attacking flair. I will keep saying that if we play a
    3-5-2 we might have a chance to get Solly and wiggins to bomb down the wings and get more than 1 person in the box.
    Other than he likes to rotate, I don't know if 3-5-2 is an option for Luzon but if we play just one striker at home i really will start to despair soon.

Wiggins has a lot more pace and defensive nous than Fox. Fox is league 1, at best
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Not much between Morgan and Rhoys us defenders,
    but at home we need wiggins attacking flair. I will keep saying that if we play a
    3-5-2 we might have a chance to get Solly and wiggins to bomb down the wings and get more than 1 person in the box.
    Other than he likes to rotate, I don't know if 3-5-2 is an option for Luzon but if we play just one striker at home i really will start to despair soon.

Wiggins has a lot more pace and defensive nous than Fox. Fox is league 1, at best
    If Fox can improve positionally and defensively then he could become a good player - After all pace isnt everything, just look @ Theo Walcott and John Terry
  • Options
    If you play at Full Back, pace is very important. If you do not have any pace and you come up against a quick winger they will cause you a lot of problems. I am hoping that Holmes- Dennis will step up to the plate next season. As he has the pace and footballing ability required to become a regular.
  • Options

I understand they are different and not equal situations but Rhoys was happy to walk away from palace who had invested in him and looked after him while he had an injury
    He left them to join a team he made zero appearances for so how realistic were his chances of playing for Norwich then
    Poyet has played 3 times for West Ham and been loaned out and started at Old Trafford
    Surely Poyet had to take his chance when it was there , was he to know west ham would sign Song and whoever else that would push him down the pecking order
    He may have thought, like at Charlton , if he could get his toe in the first team that he could push on or he may have thought wow what a life changing move I can make here I don't think I'm guaranteed to earn big if I hang around at the Belgian circus
    He left us having played a major part in keeping us up , nice pay back
    How much of his potential earnings income should he have given to Staprix
    Imo he has to make hay while the sun shines
    And obviously West Ham may prove to be the wrong career move

Yes in an ideal world I'd love everyone to want to play for us for nothing and never move on if they're good unless it's for a monster fee and clear off if they're crap

How would Charlton fans have reacted to Rhoys if we had played the Bournemouth part in his career
    Or if we were the West Ham part of diegos career

Swings and roundabouts

I understand people's frustrations with it but I can see the bigger picture and the double standards which are part and parcel of being a football fan as I'm sure you can

Why is everyone comparing Rhoys with Diego?? There's absaloutly no comparison. For starters Rhoys was still under contract at Bournemouth and we paid £250'000 for him. His contract wasn't up he just wanted to leave.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

If you play at Full Back, pace is very important. If you do not have any pace and you come up against a quick winger they will cause you a lot of problems. I am hoping that Holmes- Dennis will step up to the plate next season. As he has the pace and footballing ability required to become a regular.

Dick Plumb, i know you watch the development team, and like you the few games i have seen in the last year or so the boys i could imagine playing in the 1st team
    were Poyet, Gomez and Holmes-Dennis.
    Diego and Joe have shown their merit.(should have stayed 1 more season diego)
    Aherne-Grant was put in the 1st team squad too early but has raw talent.

Like Wiggins, Holmes-Dennis would make a great wing back.
    (yes i'm a fan of 3-5-2)

If we had played this in the 1st team over the last few years we would have had the best wing backs in the championship (Francis + Wiggins)

Instead of exposing them to the weakest part of their game, Defending.

chris solly has proved he can defend as well as attack so he could play wing back as well.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Sollied said:

I understand they are different and not equal situations but Rhoys was happy to walk away from palace who had invested in him and looked after him while he had an injury
    He left them to join a team he made zero appearances for so how realistic were his chances of playing for Norwich then
    Poyet has played 3 times for West Ham and been loaned out and started at Old Trafford
    Surely Poyet had to take his chance when it was there , was he to know west ham would sign Song and whoever else that would push him down the pecking order
    He may have thought, like at Charlton , if he could get his toe in the first team that he could push on or he may have thought wow what a life changing move I can make here I don't think I'm guaranteed to earn big if I hang around at the Belgian circus

Yes in an ideal world I'd love everyone to want to play for us for nothing and never move on if they're good unless it's for a monster fee and clear off if they're crap

How would Charlton fans have reacted to Rhoys if we had played the Bournemouth part in his career

Swings and roundabouts

I understand people's frustrations with it but I can see the bigger picture and the double standards which are part and parcel of being a football fan as I'm sure you can

Why is everyone comparing Rhoys with Diego?? There's absaloutly no comparison. For starters Rhoys was still under contract at Bournemouth and we paid £250'000 for him. His contract wasn't up he just wanted to leave.
    Oh FFS. I was just going to reply to oohahh saying I get his point, but I thought we got him on a free! No - you're right.. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11684/7012283/wiggins-joins-charlton

In that case they're completely different situations as Bournemouth even got cash out of the deal! Had it been a free I could've understood there were similarities in the situations, albeit minor ones.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Sollied said:

Swings and roundabouts

Oh FFS. I was just going to reply to oohahh saying I get his point, but I thought we got him on a free! No - you're right.. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11684/7012283/wiggins-joins-charlton

In that case they're completely different situations as Bournemouth even got cash out of the deal! Had it been a free I could've understood there were similarities in the situations, albeit minor ones.
    We got more than that for Poyet
  • Options

Swings and roundabouts

Agree with what you say completely , just a couple of details about Rhoys which are maybe a bit harsh.

Wiggins left Palace partly because they had a younger better option at left back in Lee Hills and Clint Hill was the first choice . Maybe Semi Ajayi would be a better comparison than Diego Poyet. The Nigels did get a fee for him from Norwich

http://www.kingstonguardian.co.uk/sport/football/4510583.Wiggins_flies_Eagles_nest/

He also joined Norwich when they had been relegated to League One so he would have had a reasonable expectation of playing first team football. He did play in the JPT for the Canaries. This pen picture from the excellent Flown from the Nest website indicates that he had injury problems at Carrow Road also.

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/wiggins.htm

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last season we had a bottom six squad and four decent players all refused to sign new contracts simply because they had better deals on offer elsewhere: Hamer, Poyet, Kermorgant and Stephens. Many, many posters vented their anger at the old owners and the new one but the simple fact is that since Bosman, the owner no longer has 100% control over a player.
    The difference with Wiggins (and Gudmundsson, Ben Haim, Bikey and Moussa who all joined on a free) is that we aren't paying telephone numbers and we find it hard to acquire and retain quality players to build a decent squad.
    The Poyet thing was a pain because our midfield has been weak for years and we like to think of our academy players as our own. Players and their agents know how good they are and their market value. So it's up to M.Duchatelet to make us a better club so we retain the best AND can sell players for decent fees rather than watch them wander off to the FAPL for £1m a time.

I would rather we kept all the best, but if we do sell, then raising a decent fee helps our club.
  • Options
    Steve Gritt might be the Bournemouth equivalent of Poyet.
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

Sollied said:

Swings and roundabouts

We got more than that for Poyet
    Really? I'm not doubting you; I just find it pleasantly surprising.
  • Options

Ah I remember that time when we were nicking Bournemouth's best players instead of the other way around.

Fond memories.

Yes, the way they poached Simon Francis from us despite his popularity with the Charlton fans...
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Swings and roundabouts

Agree with what you say completely , just a couple of details about Rhoys which are maybe a bit harsh.

Wiggins left Palace partly because they had a younger better option at left back in Lee Hills and Clint Hill was the first choice . Maybe Semi Ajayi would be a better comparison than Diego Poyet. The Nigels did get a fee for him from Norwich

http://www.kingstonguardian.co.uk/sport/football/4510583.Wiggins_flies_Eagles_nest/

He also joined Norwich when they had been relegated to League One so he would have had a reasonable expectation of playing first team football. He did play in the JPT for the Canaries. This pen picture from the excellent Flown from the Nest website indicates that he had injury problems at Carrow Road also.

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/wiggins.htm

Awaits Ooh Ahh's response........
  • Options
    Bump.

Morgan Fox has I think settled and grown in his performances after an iffy start. THD is an emerging talent that I think needs to be brought home. Where does that leave perennial sick note Rhoys. I've always thought of him as a saleable asset but I think this possibility is increasingly unlikely given his injury woes. Time to build left full back around Morgan and Tareiq ? Or persevere with our first choice only being available one third of the season. ?
  • Options

Bump.

Morgan Fox has I think settled and grown in his performances after an iffy start. THD is an emerging talent that I think needs to be brought home. Where does that leave perennial sick note Rhoys. I've always thought of him as a saleable asset but I think this possibility is increasingly unlikely given his injury woes. Time to build left full back around Morgan and Tareiq ? Or persevere with our first choice only being available one third of the season. ?

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree. There's Archie Edwards (excellent game for the U18s on Saturday) who presumably isn't a million miles away either.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Bump.

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree. There's Archie Edwards (excellent game for the U18s on Saturday) who presumably isn't a million miles away either.
    I really like Archie Edwards. Not just because of his footballing ability, but he's a feisty so-and-so as well.

Has no problems giving the ref a few verbals. I like that, unless you take it too far, and do a "Danny Mills"...
  • Options
    He had a go at that bellend Gary Brazil yesterday after the Forest sub threw the ball hard at Archie's stomach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luzon isn't a fan apparently. Never calls him by his name - just calls him "left back"

Really pisses Wiggo off apparently

Face doesn't fit so is available
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Luzon isn't a fan apparently. Never calls him by his name - just calls him "left back"

Luzon suffers from bad manners, or just does not know how to pronounce Wiggins name!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

That's very sad, if true, Swisdom.

Surely they must have had words about something else ....

Or doesn't Guy speak Welsh ?

• Options
    Where's that info come from?
  • Options
    Best player Eddie Howe ever signed he says.
  • Options
    I did wonder with Bournemouth now being promoted whether they might come in for him ,but they signed Tyrone Mings .
  • Options

Where's that info come from?

Can't say but extremely credible

But have also heard the "butter wouldn't melt" persona Rhoys exudes isn't strictly accurate too.

Safe to say there's a character clash there which is a shame - I really liked him as a player.

• Options
    Manners maketh the man ,

Quite like guy Luzon but if that's correct it's a shitty way to treat an employee