Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins (pg.12 - retires from football)

Comments

• Options
    We shouldn't be expecting miracles with Wiggy. He showed signs before his injury of finding the step up to Championship level quite a big one in the same way as Kermit did. The latter is now adjusting and getting better by the game, but it would be foolish to assume that Wiggins will just step back in and be the brilliant marauding full back of last year. He will need time. I quite like the Evina/Wiggins partnbership idea but I actually see Wiggins as being more suited to being the Left Midfielder in that arrangement given his ability to beat a man and cross. Evina has been solid at the back and competent going forward without looking spectacular. JJ may need to come back into the centre if Stephens is sold and we don't buy a replacement so Wiggins could be asked to do a job on the left wing.
  • Options
    Just been chatting to his uncle in the boozer, told me loads - 4 bits to share. Absolutely loves it at Charlton (he is a Chelsea fan, his old man has a season ticket there), gutted when Chris Powell got the boot, so dedicated that he stuck to Diet Coke on his stag in Barcelona, reading between the lines, so my words, of his time at Palace - Warnock is a c***
  • Options
    How did you find out it was his uncle? Was he wearing a badge? ;)
  • Options
    Talal said:

You could just ask everyone you meet and get lucky....
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Talal said:

You could just ask everyone you meet and get lucky....
    Yh I try that, but for something unrelated..
  • Options
    Talal said:

Known the bloke for about 5 years, mutual friend. Good question tho, made me chuckle
  • Options
    Didn't you ask why Rhoys didn't play yesterday or why he doesn't wear sturdier boots?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Harvey's, I did ask both questions, he didn't know answer to either. When I told him Rhoys was on bench he was surprised, assumed he was injured. Not gonna interrogate the fella on a Sunday lunchtime beer.
  • Options

Harvey's, I did ask both questions, he didn't know answer to either. When I told him Rhoys was on bench he was surprised, assumed he was injured. Not gonna interrogate the fella on a Sunday lunchtime beer.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Wiggins is coming back from a major injury. He played okay against Brighton and by all accounts got run ragged and looked exhausted against Watford.

Hopefully he is being managed and will be back in the team and in form sooner rathrler than later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2015

Wiggins is coming back from a major injury. He played okay against Brighton and by all accounts got run ragged and looked exhausted against Watford.

Hopefully he is being managed and will be back in the team and in form sooner rathrler than later.

I wouldn't say he got run ragged last week Clem none of them were that special. In fact he was our fourth best player albeit scoring only 4.13 on the a Statbank thread and he made a fantastic goal line clearance after about 5 mins when Etheridge was beaten all ends up. Furthermore his winger was mustard and he had little cover in front of him from Harriott.
  • Options
    Spot on Clem, me and his uncle did agree that he needs 6/7 games before he is back to his best after each comeback
  • Options
    Maybe he had a cold.

Or an ingrowing toenail.

• Options
    Not much between Morgan and Rhoys us defenders,
    but at home we need wiggins attacking flair. I will keep saying that if we play a
    3-5-2 we might have a chance to get Solly and wiggins to bomb down the wings and get more than 1 person in the box.
    Other than he likes to rotate, I don't know if 3-5-2 is an option for Luzon but if we play just one striker at home i really will start to despair soon.
  • Options
    Wiggins is a slow burner. Sat next to him at the Sponsors Dinner - lovely lad, very funny, hates Palace, hates Bournemouth.
  • Options
    Loves Huddersfield..
  • Options
    Next time you find out it's someone linked to Charlton, please save all manor of questioning until he/she is on a train.
  • Options

Wiggins is a slow burner. Sat next to him at the Sponsors Dinner - lovely lad, very funny, hates Palace, hates Bournemouth.

Why did he play there then?
  • Options
    Have we ever tried wiggins as LM with someone in behind him, Fox being the obvious option were we to try it?

May be better than playing a CM at LM?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Funnily enough, when I had a chat with him at the sponsors dinner in 2013, I asked him if he was looking forward to playing Bournemouth again as they'd just got promoted - he was diplomatic enough, but he made it pretty clear he would be happy to never see them again.
    He also said one thing that annoyed him was that he didn't score against them (if you remember, he had a strike from distance against them in his Charlton debut that went close).
    He certainly didn't appreciate the booing he got from their fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wiggins chose not sign the new contract offered when he was at Bournemouth and came to Charlton instead.

At the time fans and even their management team gave him pelters for doing so - and he's been bad mouthed in Bournemouth ever since.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Wiggins chose not sign the new contract offered when he was at Bournemouth and came to Charlton instead.

At the time fans and even their management team gave him pelters for doing so - and he's been bad mouthed in Bournemouth ever since.

Oops... (he is probably thinking, with that genius that is hindsight.)
  • Options
    Rhoys had a chance to go back to Bournmouth last season, decided against it as
    realised that the bridge had been burnt.
    Can you imagine Bournemouth having the best two wing backs in the championship ?
    Notice i didn't say defenders!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He told me the same as @lordromford
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oh so did a Diego Poyet but cos he's at our wonderful club all is ok
    Least Rhoys moved to a club who have constantly played him though...
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

I agree with the sentiment; Poyet has got abuse far beyond that deserved for his apparent crimes. (And, at a time when many supporters are angry at the current regime, perhaps we should look at Diego's social media actions regarding the regime; and potentially see that there may have been more to the story.)

However; they're totally different situations.

Charlton paid for Diego's footballing education and gave him the break that got him noticed. Further more, Diego jumped to a club where realistically his chances of playing football were minimal.

On the other hand, Rhoys got his footballing education via Crystal Palace; even if he was loaned to Bournemouth to complete it. He'd also spent time at Norwich, albeit returning to Bournemouth on loan. Furthermore, Rhoys moved to a club where he immediately began playing first team football - he made no sacrifice of game time in return for an increased pay check..

Rhoys (like Diego) stuck to his contract and was a loyal servant during this period. Once this period was up he then moved on to another club where he was offered an opportunity. That's where the comparison ends; hence the attitude is different.

Every window players move because their contracts are up and their free to go; surely that's what Rhoys did?
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Yes. Exactly right Oohaahmortimer. Diego Poyet is a nob cause he did it to charlton, Wiggins is fine cause he came to charlton. Simples.
  • Options
    Having made one appearance for Crystal Palace , having come through their academy , he had the choice to sign for them or move on to Norwich
    He joined Norwich where he had no game time !
    Before being loaned to Bournemouth ,where he had previously been on loan before whilst on palaces books.
    So before he joined us he had made one appearance for Palace and 67 for bournemouth
  • Options

Having made one appearance for Crystal Palace , having come through their academy , he had the choice to sign for them or move on to Norwich
    He joined Norwich where he had no game time !
    Before being loaned to Bournemouth ,where he had previously been on loan before whilst on palaces books.
    So before he joined us he had made one appearance for Palace and 67 for bournemouth

The sentiment people slated Diego for was that he owed us, having come through our academy. That was my point. We all know academy lads get preferential treatment; for they have time and money invested in their development by the club. The academy brings them in to the industry and potentially builds their career for them.

By the time Wiggins arrived at Bournemouth, as per his his appearances, he was already a developed footballer. Bournemouth certainly didn't educate and train him to the extent his academy background did. Warnock saw some potential in him to offer him a contract, unfortunately an injury struck him which largely froze him out.

You've also nicely avoided the points about Rhoys walking in to a team that he had a realistic chance of playing for, and cementing his position. Rather than speculatively going for a club where it was quite clear he was going to be loaned out; ala Poyet.

I'm agreeing with you about the abuse Poyet got, and that it was bang out of order, but let's not convince ourselves that these situations are equal. The only similarities are that the two players played out their contracts and then opted to choose contracts elsewhere; and there's nothing wrong with that.