Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton U18's v Chelsea U18's

Comments

• Options
    Nice to hear Jonjo was there tonight.
  • Options
    Agree with northstand, thought Sho Silva was very good, Tarieq Holmes-Dennis (2) impressed and I thought Poyet had a good game, we have some good young players coming through.
  • Options
    First half it was just like watching Brazil ! Thought we were tremendous- closing down, depriving the Blues of any time on the ball, so much energy & skill ! Should have been 3-0 by halftime but hey- the ref knows best ....

Chelsea made a sub at halftime & seemed to have sussed us out. Thought Sho Silva had been exceptional but as NSS said, he was subbed and from then on it was men against boys. We laboured and seemed to run out of legs but made it to extra time . Rest is history.

Paul & Steve should be very proud of this set of lads - some great prospects on show for us tonight.
  • Options
    Did not help when Ellis Brown (on for Sho - Silva) got injured, was limping for much of the game as we had made all 3 subs.
  • Options
    Good highlights, shame about the result, looks like raw pace did the damage in the end.
  • Options
    bugger! Great highlights though, what a cross for our first! Unfortunate we couldn't hold on, but I think it's clear we got some great young players
  • Options
    As said above, the first half was a fantastic display, creating chances with ease and restricting Chelsea to long range efforts.

I have a few good friends who have played with Tobi Sho-Silva as we've grown up, tonight I thought he was quality, but believe me that was not even close to his best. I know he was disappointed with his overall performance tonight. Having just came back from injury it was clear to us that he's a yard or two short of pace. He's rapid when he gets going.

Other players who really impressed were Tom Derry, took his goal well and worked hard throughout with real moments of class. Diego Poyet, first half I thought he bossed the midfield and lead by example in the way he played, some excellent passing. Holmes-Dennis, played both right and left back and was brilliant, some moments really reminded me of Solly and he showed good attacking threat too. Joe Gomez, very young and has a lot to learn but reads the game exceptionally well and comfortable on the ball for a centre back. Others worth a mention are Muldoon and Palmer who were both very good and skillful. We have a great group of lads here, praise must go to all the coaches, especially Steve Avory and Paul Hart. The future's bright...
  • Options
    Joe gomez will go and play at the top for sure. The bloke reads he game wonderfully. You can see why united want him. Number 7 called palmer, poyet and holmes dennis will make it to the first team eventually for sure all have class.
  • Options
    Tsho Silva on Twitter:
    SimplyTobi ‏@TSho_Silva
    So angry I had to come off, thanks for all the support from everyone that made an effort to come. It's much appreciated x

SimplyTobi ‏@TSho_Silva
    I've never been so confused and angry in my life
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure I would say like Brazil, but certainly hassled them all first half to good effect and deserved the lead. I thought we were undone in the end by our lack of fitness compared to them. 2-1 up with 5 to go and a silly mistake in their half, probably due to players switching off from being knackered, allowed Chelsea to score. Chelsea's passing and movement was better, but not significantly, but it showed up more and more as our lads tired. I thought extra time only had one outcome, as it turned out to be (although we did come close to scoring at the end)

Given the difference in resources between the two sides, we acquitted ourselves well, and there is a sign of two or three gems in there (mostly the ones with two surnames). I also thought our lads looked like a good bunch, eager to learn. Chelsea, seemed to me, to be already starting to show signs of being arrogant prima donas.
  • Options
    not sure players should go on twitter and make comments like that. Take it on the chin, discuss with the manager in private and move on.
  • Options
    Gomez and Palmer are still under 16's and imo were Charlton's best players tonight.
  • Options
    Agree with NSS. Couldnt see the reason in taking TSS off but Chelsea came back strongly.

Longer the game went on the better the bigger and maybe older cfc kids looked and deserved their win.

But we were very good, lots of good prospects as mention.

Liked Poyet and Muldoon. Gomez and Lennon are both big and solid CHs.

Who was the skinny no.3 who looked about 14
  • Options
    OohAhh, any idea of the crowd numbers, and how many chelsea ?
  • Options
    was certainly a decent crowd there.

1st half we let Chelsea have the ball but not in dangerous areas. we looked much more potent going forward.

2nd half (to give them credit) Chelsea continued to keep the ball but we ran out of legs.

bloke next to me said TSS was complaining about his hammies before he came off.

impressed with our 2 centre-halfs, No 7 & Muldoon.

no change in standard of refs, even at this level.

pitch needs a bit of work.
  • Options
    Some great performances all over the pitch, but I thought Kasey Palmer (number 7) really stood out and looked something very special for the future
  • Options
    Skinny Number 3 was Archie Edwards, looked 11 to me!
  • Options
    Oh, Archie Edwards runs down the wing for me.

He is the new Solly. You read it here first. Anyone know how old he really is?
  • Options
    Looking at those highlights, both the first 2 Chelsea goals are avoidable. Their number 4 should've been brought down and never allowed to run all that way into the area. And our player gets easily rolled/knocked off the ball for their 2nd goal.

Being honest though, they are the holders and can afford the cream of Europe's top young talent. So to take them to extra time is a great effort.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oh, Archie Edwards runs down the wing for me.

He is the new Solly. You read it here first. Anyone know how old he really is?

5'3", Henry.

;o)
  • Options
    Was there a good turn out to see the lads?
  • Options
    crowd was 1,452.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Macronate said:

crowd was 1,452.

Thanks Macronate. That's bloody good especially as it was below freezing last night. Well done to all that made the effort.
  • Options
    So pleased our youngsters can compete well with the likes of Chel$ki, and their obvious attraction and seemingly unlimited investment.

Well done lads. Proud of you!
  • Options
    Maybe Sho-Silva is angry with his own body, rather than management? Just a thought...

Great effort. Perhaps blessing in disguise to go out early-ish if it keeps the scouts away from our young talent. Hands off!!
  • Options
    Excellent effort both on and off the pitch last night i have only just thawed out! The way Chelsea bench jumped up and down all over the place after their 2nd and 3rd they knew they had beat a good side. Some very promising performances and considering Chelsea looked older and bigger all over the pitch, a great display. COYR
  • Options

Tsho Silva on Twitter:
    SimplyTobi ‏@TSho_Silva
    So angry I had to come off, thanks for all the support from everyone that made an effort to come. It's much appreciated x

SimplyTobi ‏@TSho_Silva
    I've never been so confused and angry in my life

he'll learn.
  • Options
    Maybe he shouldn't have said it publically but he is what? 16/17?

Part of me thinks its great that he wants it so much that he gets that angry.

Take it out on the next centre you face Tobi
  • Options
    Great effort. All did well but thought Holmes-Dennis and Palmer. Holmes-Dennis defended well and was comfortable on the ball, even when playing on the right. Small but brave and looked to run with the ball. Palmer very promising, pace, energy, dribbling and skill - we played a 4-4-2 diamond, imagine he can play through the middle or out wide.

Didn't notice much about Edwards either way, but will have something about him to be playing ahead of others while still a schoolboy.

Sho-Silva was a real handful up front, tall and competed in the air with pace and strength. Lost our outlet when he was taken off. Ellis Brown came on who looks a very different player, small, quick and looked to run with the ball.

Poyet was very much like Dale Stephens. Some good tackles, interceptions and passes, but more of a sitter than someone that will run at players or looks to get in the box.

Gomez like Palmer didn't look like an U16, as has been said about him in the last few months he's a good defender and comfortable on the ball and no doubt will get bigger and stronger.

No surprise that Chelsea had pace to bring on and against tiring players that caused us problems. No shame in that, we gave them a tough game and the players showed this is another promising group. Aside from the more obvious stand out players I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the others kept on and given more time to develop by playing for the U21s.