Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Skiing

Comments

• You should head out to Kirkwood near Tahoe, although it's going to be a while before they get the lifts running. That's 9 feet of snow from the last storm
  • Going chamonix for a quick weekend next thursday night. Hoping there's actually gonna be snow but looks like its coming this weekend. Skiing is a ridiculously pricey holiday, but its incredible, my favourite type of holiday.
  • My son and a crowd heading to Austria in a couple of weeks, it's a school arranged trip, one concern is his french teacher, she is about five years older and they have been friends for years, that police song springs to mind.
  • Going chamonix for a quick weekend next thursday night. Hoping there's actually gonna be snow but looks like its coming this weekend. Skiing is a ridiculously pricey holiday, but its incredible, my favourite type of holiday.

Chamonix, great choice! I go there every year, you should just head up to Aiguille Du Midi, guaranteed snow then ;)
  • I'm off to Greenwich park with my skis right now, must be enough snow based on the news coverage.
  • You should head out to Kirkwood near Tahoe, although it's going to be a while before they get the lifts running. That's 9 feet of snow from the last storm

Kirkwood is a fantastic place, they always get huge dumps of snow.
  • I went snowboarding twice when I was at school and I wasn't that great and haven't been since but I've got the itch to go again.

The only thing is that I don't want to get there and spend £1000 for a week of lessons on crappy school slopes so I was thinking of trying to learn properly in the UK before going next year.

Has anyone had any experience with learning on dry/indoor slopes over here?
  • edited March 2018

I went snowboarding twice when I was at school and I wasn't that great and haven't been since but I've got the itch to go again.

The only thing is that I don't want to get there and spend £1000 for a week of lessons on crappy school slopes so I was thinking of trying to learn properly in the UK before going next year.

Hemel Hempsted and Milton Keynes snowdomes are both very good places to master the basics, on real snow and long enough to actually have a good go. They have instructors etc there and whilst I’ve never had one of them, are meant to be pretty good. I’ve been for their freestyle skiing nights a few times and really good set up.

On a different note, if anyone has been out to the Alps this season then hope you had a good time. Was out there last week and the snow was the best I’ve probably ever had!
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been to Milton Keynes.

Good facility if you're a beginner trying to get the basics working again before you go.

We should organise a trip next year mate!
  • I went snowboarding twice when I was at school and I wasn't that great and haven't been since but I've got the itch to go again.

On a different note, if anyone has been out to the Alps this season then hope you had a good time. Was out there last week and the snow was the best I’ve probably ever had!
    Was in Val Thorens for 10 days over Xmas and New Year which was quality and then Les Deux Alpes in a couple of weeks. For the upcoming trip I wasn't expecting much skiing but just a lot of drinking, however with the current forecast it looks like we will get lucky!
  • edited March 2018

I went snowboarding twice when I was at school and I wasn't that great and haven't been since but I've got the itch to go again.

Hi mate, I learned in England. Did about 8-10 hours on a dry slope (the carpet stuff), then I haven’t looked back since, I’ve been snowboarding once a year for the last 10 years now and would consider myself fairly good!

I’d definitely say snowboarding on snow is so much easier than dry slope. Ive been on a dry slope one or twice over the 10 years and hated it, there’s nothing like the white stuff.

I went to Samoens in mid February and you could not have asked for better weather and snow, it was perfect. More years like that please!

• Cheers everyone, I looked into the Hemel Hempstead and MK ones but the lessons seemed expensive as I thought it might be a bit gimmicky but sounds like people have managed to get something out of it so will definitely look to do that.

I've been to Milton Keynes.

Good facility if you're a beginner trying to get the basics working again before you go.

We should organise a trip next year mate!

Agreed we should, just need to prove to myself I can do it!
  • In Les Deux Alpes at the moment.

Bucketed it down over night and just had the most mental off-piste morning I've ever had. Up to my waist in powder in a load of couloirs.

Now sat in the sun with a beer.

Love it.
  • So bizarre for April, can't believe it.
  • edited April 2018
    Had a lesson at Hemel Hempstead last week and managed to prove to myself that I can still snowboard. Probably go for another one before I feel really comfortable but I’d recommend it if anyone’s looking to try. Cheers for the comments here that persuaded me.

In Les Deux Alpes at the moment.

Bucketed it down over night and just had the most mental off-piste morning I've ever had. Up to my waist in powder in a load of couloirs.

Now sat in the sun with a beer.

Love it.

So jealous
  • Good stuff mate.

Let's see if we can get something sorted for next season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh how I miss my ski holidays……best times of my life were spent on the slopes……..all over Europe.
    St Moritz, Kitzbuhel, Livigno, Andora, Voss, Hovden, St Anton, just some of the many.
    If only I could turn the clock back for one last hurrah! 😔
  • edited February 2022
    Agree. I’d love to go skiing again but I know it will end up in disaster. I still feel I have one more slope in me. 
  • Got the impression the snowboarding and "stunt" skiing has kind of taken over at the Winter Olympics. Is that the case overall?
  • Its just selective programming in this country - ski and snowboard cross quite exciting to the casual viewer, as is people doing somersaults and crashing

30km cross country skiing in classical mode not so appealing
  • Skiing is the bollocks. Just not done it since school. Mrs has a dodgy knee so it's not her cup of tea so fck knows when I'll get to go again.

Want to try snowboarding when I do go though.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Its just selective programming in this country - ski and snowboard cross quite exciting to the casual viewer, as is people doing somersaults and crashing

30km cross country skiing in classical mode not so appealing
    Funnily enough, the cross country and biathlon were the only other 2 things that I watched when I did take the time to put it on. Missed the mens hockey, all the down hill skiing and bobsleigh / toboggan etc. Admittedly I weren't watching a great deal of it, but when I did flick through, it always seemed to be more the stunt stuff or whatever its called
  • Gribbo said:
    Got the impression the snowboarding and "stunt" skiing has kind of taken over at the Winter Olympics. Is that the case overall?
    most of the snowboarders were flash wankers with total disregard for anyone else on the slopes
  • Gribbo said:
    Got the impression the snowboarding and "stunt" skiing has kind of taken over at the Winter Olympics. Is that the case overall?
    most of the snowboarders were flash wankers with total disregard for anyone else on the slopes
    But I wasn't in Bulgaria? 😂

It's true though, lots of Snowboarders are wankers.That said, a load of skiers are arrogant snobs!

• just got back from our first ski holiday - Borovets in Bulgaria, I've never done it before and neither had the kids.

The wife has (but 20 years ago) 

can't believe it's taken me so long to go, amazing time - booking again for next year, brilliant for the kids
    That's funny... I just got back from there as well... Maybe it's an Eltham thing
    Probably see you next year in half term! Where did you stay?