Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wilko Johnson

Comments

• Options
    I just had an email from his brother - op tomorrow I think - in hospital today.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed. Great musician, and a good bloke - his attitude to his illness has been fantastic.
  • Options
    Fantastic news, at least its a chance, and what a brave fella.
  • Options

Oil City Confidential is a brilliant film if you are of a certain age.

Agree.
  • Options
    Wilko is pottering about (with his drip attached) this afternoon - which surprised and delighted the doctors.
    Threatening to play his guitar, too!
  • Options
    Excellent article Henry. I meant to post this the other day, but apart from news about cancelled tour dates I think its just a re-hash of the GQ one. All the best Wilko.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/11187005.Suprise_news_for_Wilko_Johnson_fans/
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Wonderful articles chaps. I've got a photo I'd like to post but seem only to be able to post an image with a URL.
  • Options

Wonderful articles chaps. I've got a photo I'd like to post but seem only to be able to post an image with a URL.

Was down at the Sweeps Festival at Rochester earlier today - got engaged in a chat about his situation with two other blokes in the record fair tent. Amazing how many fans he's got, who are all rooting for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roger Daltrey hoping to record new Wilko Johnson album

The Who's Roger Daltrey has said he will record another album with Wilko Johnson if the former Dr Feelgood guitarist recovers from cancer surgery.

Johnson was given 10 months to live after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at the end of 2012.

But he defied the doctors' predictions and had major surgery two weeks ago.

He recently recorded an album with Daltrey, who said: "He's in hospital. He's been in and out for two weeks, he's doing really well."

The pair's album Going Back Home has been in the UK top 20 since it was released at the end of March.

Speaking at the Radio Academy Awards in London on Monday, The Who singer said his collaborator had "thought he would be dead last October".

Going Back Home
    The album features original songs
    Johnson's pioneering nine-hour operation involved the removal of his tumour, pancreas, spleen, part of his stomach and small and large intestines as well as the removal and reconstruction of blood vessels relating to the liver.

Daltrey continued: "He's lost an awful lot of his body, but he's still here. Which is one up from being dead.

"He's getting out of bed and grunting, which is exhilarating for him I'm sure, and we look forward to him making a full recovery.

"It's going to take a long, long time. But if he does we're going to make part two of the record that we rushed out."

Asked whether Johnson could fully recover, Daltrey replied: "There is a chance, but it's an operation that's never been tried before. He's an experiment. His whole life has been an experiment."

After the surgery, Johnson's manager Lisa Climie said his medical team were "happy with his condition".

She said: "Although cautiously optimistic the team have to stress that it is very early days yet."
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Wilko home.
    Album gone past 100,00 sales = gold!

All good!

Great news. He's a tough old bugger.
  • Options
    It's a great album. Fully deserved success.
  • Options
    It is a good album. I'm so pleased he is seeing this success.
  • Options
    Love the album. He really is a genius.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Wilko update.
    He was out and about last Saturday, to see his son perform (eight Rounds Rapid - new CD out now) at the Village Green festival in Southend.
    Looking slim and happy.

Dr Dupree must be smiling.
  • Options
    happy daze...umpteen sweaty (1975/76) nights at dingwalls, the kensington, the red cow, windsor castle etc. for the "pub rock" years...the kursaal flyers were my enduring favourite, but dr. feelgood ran them verrry close...a magic coupla years right before punk exploded out of the bedrooms & garages!
  • Options
    Wilko just back from another holiday in Japan.
    Feeling Ok and considering a second Daltrey recording.
    The album is currently the 30th biggest selling album of 2014.
    Top man
  • Options
    Great news, one of the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Great news but still breaks my heart to hear Daltrey sing those tracks and not the late great Lee Brilleaux
  • Options
    I know what you mean Grumpy, but for me, I can hear Brilleaux in Daltry's voice on that album. I don't know if that's something deliberate that Daltry/Johnson/Eringa have tried for, or whether it's just wishful thinking on my part.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Cured now apparently. He's just announced it at the Q Awards.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Cured now apparently. He's just announced it at the Q Awards.

Great news. The man IS indestructible.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Incredible news.
    A 3kg tumour and still all his internals are fine.
    Very moving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29727632

Some great photos of the three of them here
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wilko-johnson-says-hes-cured-4484785
  • Options
    What terrific news!
  • Options
    Pancreatic cancer is a bastard. How he's beaten it is unbelievable. What great news though. Music is a bit richer tonight.
  • Options
    5 minute video of his acceptance speech.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29733309
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Back on stage on 11nov.
    Teenage cancer trust gig at Shepherd's Bush

An evening of Who música with Liam Gallagher amongst many others
  • Options
    what a fraud.........says he is dying so people go out & buy his LAST album and once its has sold bucket loads he tells everyone he;s now ok. At least Elvis, Janis Joplin & the 2 Jimi's had the decency to die before really making their fortunes........