Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2012 Review: December

Compiled by: @johnny73

December kicked off with the hotly anticipated away trip to The New Den. A dogged defensive display ended up in a 0-0 draw and a well earned point. The central defensive partnership of Dorian Dervite and Leon Cort receiving praise from the CL faithful, 'MOM Dervite. Came in after not playing for a while and was very solid.' #Henry Irving, 'We did a job on them and Cort was immense.' #Dippenhall. Unfortunately after game chit chat was dominated by smoke bomb, flare and seat throwing.

A few days later, December 5th 2012, found all Addicks unified once more as we took a journey down memory lane to remember the momentous day 20 years earlier when Charlton returned to their spiritual home of the Valley. After a seven year absence, 8,337 supporters witnessed a 1-0 win over Portsmouth. Revisit those memories in the day by day thread provided by #Stig http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/45167/charlton-athletic-day-by-day/p10

The visit of Brighton & Hove Albion, on the 8th December, was almost a sideshow to the true celebration of the Valley return. Charlton lead twice through Lawrie Wilson and Bradley Pritchard before the Seagulls hit back to see the game end in an entertaining 2-2 draw. 'Hamer was outstanding and thought he was our man of the match' #1StevieG, A half time speech by Richard Murray paid homage to the heroes of yesterday.

A Charlton side unbeaten in seven games then travelled to the Reebok Stadium to play Bolton. For the majority of the match another draw looked on the cards until an N'Gog brace in the 74th and 80th minutes. 'we more than matched them for 70 minutes , and the game could have gone either way' #Mendonca In Asdas.

The season of goodwill continued to provide little cheer as the Bolton result was followed by another away loss, to Sheffield Wednesday, McCabe midway through the first half and Helan at the death. 'So many of our players went unnoticed. Passes were all over the place. Wednesday were dreadful, and a team we should definitely be beating.' #AidenTheAddick.

Two successive 2-0 nil losses had seen Charlton drop to the bottom of the mid table pack in 18th place, equidistant between a playoff place or a relegation spot.

Christmas Day brought news of the greatest loss the club would suffer in 2012 as club statistician Colin Cameron sadly passed away.

On Boxing Day, an in-form Ipswich Town provided more doom and gloom. Despite an early penalty miss by DJ Campbell the tractor boys led comfortably 2-0 at half time through Campbell and Murphy goals. A Danny Haynes penalty with 20 minutes remaining opened the possibility of a fight back. Scrapping for every ball, chances were created, none were taken though and Charlton recorded their 3rd successive loss. 2-1 to Ipswich. 'So many passengers. Midfield non existant. Seabourne did a pretty good Francis impression. Worried of Eltham.' #Clem_Snide.

The final game of 2012 would see us entertain Derby County at the Valley. Despite early pressure by County a classy goal by Haynes put cafc one up. Haynes would not survive the half though as his dodgy hamstrings gave way once more. Wright-Phillips and Big Yann both had chances to extend the lead but the score remained 1-0 at half time. Charlton continued to dominate in the second half until Morrison was sent off for a second yellow card offence. The subsequent penalty levelled the score at 1-1. Under the cosh for the remainder of the match the Addicks held out for the draw. 'Good spirited performance but need to invest in midfield' #Bexley Dan.

If December 2012 taught us one lesson it would be to take a step back and view things with a deeper perspective.

We've re-ignited an ancient rivalry, rekindled memories of '92 and seen the passing of fellow Addicks. Whilst three points from six games was a depressing end to the year I suspect the majority would have taken 18th place in the Championship at the start of the year. Another Chapter in our history has ended and 2013, as is natural, brings an uncertain future. Players will be sold and signed as Chrissy Powell searches for THE perfect line up.

Truth, lies and gossip will fight a daily battle on CL whilst a chasm of communication exists between board and supporters. We will divide, procastinate and argue the toss. But come game day we will unite and a whisper will turn to a roar as the Valley Floyd faithful turn up for more....

Valley Floyd Road, oh mist rolling in from the Thames
my desire is always to be found at Valley Floyd Road
many miles have i travelled, many games have i seen
following Charlton my favourite team
many hours have i spent in the Covered End Choir
singing Valley Floyd Road my only desire....

Comments