Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notice Periods

I'm pretty much looking for some help with regards to a situation I've found myself in.

I work for a small city based firm of solicitors, I run the debt recovery department whilst studying for my legal qualifications. In some moment of madness I agreed to a 3 months notice period, I guess I thought at the time it would be added security for me.

Now, the problem I can no longer stand working here and am about to start looking for another job, in anyone's experience is a 3 month notice period going to put people off employing me?

The only way round it I can see is to hand in my notice and look for jobs whilst I work my notice period, although of course there is an element of risk that after 3 months I could be left unemployed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Depends on how bad the new company want you? If you sell yourself well enough at interview they will wait.
  • Options
    Better of finding the job first, then negotiating with your HR Department/Boss for a shorter notice period. Even if you get it down to six weeks most places will be ok with that. Don't let them bully you either.
  • Options
    I don't think that you will have a problem. Having a 3 month notice period will give future employers the idea that you are valued by your current company. If anybody is put off by this notice period then you probably don't want to work for them anyway.
  • Options
    I agree with RedPete. Get a job and then try to negotiate an earlier release. If not work the three months. If the new company want you badly enough then they'll wait. If not then do you really want to work for them anyway.
  • Options
    You could agree to take any remaining leave or TOIL within the 3 months as this would save your current company money and mean you could start work earlier but they don't have to agree.

Alternatively give them a sob story about you course/travel/whatever but basically you signed the contract so you have to work it unless they wave it. You could walk but that's going to be a problem with a reference especially as they are solicitors and you want to work in Law.

What's the problem with the job/firm? Have you tried to solve it or spoken to the partners about it?

To quote the Clash "so don't complain, about your useless employment, jack it in forever, tonight" but on the other hand "A bird in a hand is worth two in a bush"
  • Options
    standard practise of law firms stu - mine is trying to get me to do same but I am not having any of it.

if they put the real pressure on i'll do it then when i leave to be a cabbie - i'll just go sick for the 3 months lol
  • Options
    if you are in ap osition of risk, i.e by keeping you on for 3 months, they may think that you could harm the rep of the company by being slack, doing bad things etc, and it may be safer for them to let you just sit at home for 3 months till you start your new job, or they could negotiate on just handing over to new recruit and cutting it short to 1 month. i don't think a 3 month period would put people off employing you, and in quite a few places it is standard.
  • Options
    This is all fairly encouraging, I have a meeting on Monday with a recruitment consultant, so I'm sure he/she will just mirror what you've all said, however I pretty much wanted to have an idea of waht to expect.