Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Killer in Gravesend ! (NWKA Q+A meeting TONIGHT, Gravesend, open to all)

2»

Comments

• I hope it was a good meeting.

It would have been interesting to hear Killer's anecdotes I'm sure!

Is he ever going to write that book?
  • Great night, although not one for the faint-hearted?
    If only you could bottle Killer's passion for the game?.
    A few forthright tales were told last night for sure.......
    If Chris Powell ever needs anyone to motivate his players, this guy could tell a tale or two.
    Good to meet Queensland,

• Killers book is coming soon apparently, however he has delayed its release due to some sensitivities concerning timing.

I never knew his nickname was something to do with rabbits or did I mishear that?
  • I think he explained it was due to shooting pigeons that "cr*pped" on Michael Glikstein's seat in the old stand at The Valley !

Plus the fact that his family was in the butchery trade .

Quite a character indeed & a very entertaining evening.

Thanks to all those who joined us - good to see some new faces especially queensland_addick - our 2nd Antipodean of the season ! Safe journey home soon , mate.
  • Thanks Fanny for making me so welcome. It was great to meet yourself, Ken, BDL Razil and the other guys at the bar whose names I didn't catch. What a memorable evening! I've got some great photos on my phone that I shall treasure. Phil Warman, what a lovely guy, not the aggressive, nasty, tiger of a full back that I remember all those years ago. The last time I saw him he was in he's twenties, now he's in his 60's, where the hell did that forty years go? Thank god I haven't aged at all lol. What can you say about Derek? What a character, such a hero of my youth, I was almost frightened to talk to him. But like Phil, such a modest, down to earth man. I got such a great insight into what made him such a great goalscorer. Fearless, frightened of no one (especially his manager) and he would certainly never have suffered from a lack of confidence. Any approaching goalkeeper would have been viewed with minimal respect and have been merely an inconvenience, before he dispatched the ball into the back of the net. We need to try to clone him.
    Derek and Phil at their best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTMsFfkTWaA
  • edited January 2013
    That Killer goal which won the Goal of the Year in 1977 (Queensland's video above, watch it right to the end) - Paddy Powell made a fantastic contribution right from winning the ball beside his own corner flag.

I just had to watch it again and again.

Kids, you think he only cuts grass? ..... that was Paddy Powell.
  • Typical move from Paddy ... we miss that
  • edited January 2013
    Would have gone last night but unfortunately couldn't make it, glad you all had a good 'un. I'm only 25 but am happy to say I saw Hales play and score, albeit in a vets match in the 90s. Was against Millwall though.

I'll keep an eye out and perhaps try to make the next event.
  • Do you hear the plonker yell rubbish just as he takes the ball up on the wing. Some things never change.

bit shocking to see bog roll on the pitch! :-)

Good vid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Killers Goal. My old man let me go in the covered end for the first time for that game!
    Roll on to 2001, Greenie Juniors first game sat behind the goal at the covered end, Bartlett scores goal of the season, funny old world.

Killer is my favourite all time Charlton player, met him a few times in the old Stones club after matches. I was gutted when he left us. I met him in the club shop about 4-5 seasons ago, I became 14 again and got him to sign a Killer shirt. Great fella.
  • If he grows that beard a little more, he'll be a ringer for Uncle Albert! ;-)

Queensland...I remember that goal well and have watched it many times over the years. Paddy was my idol as a lad (still is) and that was typical of the contribution he made to Killer's amazing goal tally for us. Have had the pleasure of being at a number of the Q&A sessions that have been done in recent years with Paddy, Killer, Keith Peacock and, usually, Theo Foley. Always the most entertaining nights, with some of the nicest, unassuming heroes you could meet. Can imagine you all had a great time last night. :)
  • Do you hear the plonker yell rubbish just as he takes the ball up on the wing. Some things never change.

bit shocking to see bog roll on the pitch! :-)

Good vid.

I noticed that too, think I recognise the voice sure he sits just behind me in the east stand
  • Had a brief couple of minutes with him in the interval last night, great character and a man who loves his football.
    I think he loves being provocative. When he walked about the room talking, and describing his encounter with Gordon Taylor was very funny
  • Glad you all enjoyed it! @queensland_addick, I was fortunate enough to go to the last NWKA meet, such a great night and like yourself it was a pleasure meeting a few CL peeps. Safe journey home, it's terrible in Qld and NSW at the moment with the storms smashing the east coast. Hope all your family/friends are ok over there.
  • ozaddick said:

Glad you all enjoyed it! @queensland_addick, I was fortunate enough to go to the last NWKA meet, such a great night and like yourself it was a pleasure meeting a few CL peeps. Safe journey home, it's terrible in Qld and NSW at the moment with the storms smashing the east coast. Hope all your family/friends are ok over there.

Thanks Christian. Just heard that I've got some electrical problems to sort out and a huge mess around the place, but thankfully the roof and solar panels are still in place having survived three days of 125K/hr winds, family safely here with me thankfully,
    Martin
  • Good to hear Martin.